Why is Vanilla so wanted?

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
Trying to understand why a decent amo By of ppl claim to want vanilla servers. Here's my points of view as to why vanilla was not that good compared to WOW now.

-GRINDFEST
(I remember it took me a full spring break week to level to 50, playing 8hours a day)
- everything was imbalanced
- pvp was garbage unless you were a rogue or lock or a lucky Ret/sham
- no heroic levels
- professions didn't matter really
- leveling was long and slow (drink water/food after every pull)
- very basic 2 button rotations
- hunters needed ammo
- bags were tiny
- almost all specs were useless (guilds only took certain classes because many specs were absolutely garbage)
- no transmog =(
- casual play doesn't exist (good/bad thing)
- lack of mounts
- lack of cosmetics
- lack of races
- less classes

The big difference from now and than is the community back than was awesome. I started back in TBC. And I liked it. My favorite was WOTLK. But there's too many cool/nice things right now that I wouldn't trade for.

So please tell me why you guys want this???
I miss having a fire resist and nature resist set. /s
Not being able to talk to NPC's in forms was awesome.....

#Immersion
I don't want it. A lot of (not all, but a lot) people want it, in my opinion, whether they'll admit it or not, because of the community back then. The only problem with wanting the same community feeling now is that THIS is our community TODAY, not the Vanilla one.

People will just be disappointed in the long run.
the difference between the grind in vanilla and the 'grind' now is that if you grind in vanilla you are rewarded, if you grind in legion you may be rewarded.

it was impossible for someone to get top tier loot right after hitting max level, you had to work for it, then eventually it would come. not you roll the dice and if you get lucky a bug in the game gives you more luck.

thats why vanilla was thought so foundly, everybody had to work hard to get what they wanted, no short cuts.
Rose colored nostalgia glasses + they think it will be as popular when people have to pay for it (vs playing for free).
10/08/2016 06:23 AMPosted by Perplexed

Just because.
I think the problem is that people don't really want classic back. Hear me out, people are wanting that 'fresh' 'new' feeling that they had when they played back in classic (for those that played then) and the feeling of community that has been diminished (but not lost) since then due to the QoL things that have been implemented into the game since then. The problem is that even opening up a classic server will not bring that back as the culture of the average WoW player has changed since then.

All these threads about classic and the other threads on the forums about how much of a grind Legion is (much less than classic ever was), asking for flying (not in classic), etc. show the diversity of the WoW population quite well and show why classic servers will not be a success, we are used to the QoL things like flying, less grind, LFD/LFR/Group Finder etc. which we have today and in classic those just did not exist, much less being able to invite people from other servers which we can do now. If Blizzard did release a classic server people would be asking for those systems to be added mark my words.
People forget and when reminiscing only recall favorable experiences.
I guess it's just something else to play. Some people I talk to have no interest in ever playing modern wow but for whatever reason they start doing backflips whenever I bring up vanilla. Definitely some nostalgia !@#$%^ going on. And at the risk of being downvoted into oblivion I did check out nost first day (since my friends wouldn't stop talking about it) and launch was very cool, very laggy, and very weird. Partying up and killing mobs 7 levels higher just to get xp since the starting zone was flooded was neat. Leveling was meh later on.

You know how you just felt like making a new thread about this when the answers are already on this forum? Well they just feel like playing og.
10/08/2016 06:26 AMPosted by Vorathamiir
not you roll the dice and if you get lucky a bug in the game gives you more luck.

Really? So the loot in instances dropped no matter what for everyone?
Because I enjoyed playing back then. It's not as much fun now, it's gutted. There were tons of things to do, there are now too but not as much fun. The old world maps, quests, professions. I liked it all. I tried Nostalrius figuring it was rose colored glasses as many of the bitter, miserable cranky types here like to say but I was amazed and had a wonderful time with it. I would like that again.
Trying to understand why a decent amo By of ppl claim to want vanilla servers. Here's my points of view as to why vanilla was not that good compared to WOW now.

-GRINDFEST
(I remember it took me a full spring break week to level to 50, playing 8hours a day)
- everything was imbalanced
- pvp was garbage unless you were a rogue or lock or a lucky Ret/sham
- no heroic levels
- professions didn't matter really
- leveling was long and slow (drink water/food after every pull)
- very basic 2 button rotations
- hunters needed ammo
- bags were tiny
- almost all specs were useless (guilds only took certain classes because many specs were absolutely garbage)
- no transmog =(
- casual play doesn't exist (good/bad thing)
- lack of mounts
- lack of cosmetics
- lack of races
- less classes

The big difference from now and than is the community back than was awesome. I started back in TBC. And I liked it. My favorite was WOTLK. But there's too many cool/nice things right now that I wouldn't trade for.

Lots of people who want it, never experienced how much of a pain in the !@# it really was
They want what they do not have, simple as that. Humans will always find a reason to whine.
Professions actually mattered much more in Vanilla than they do today. Not sure why you would think otherwise if you were actually there for it.
It is the original vision Blizzard had for World of Warcraft. Each class and their respective talents were unique, and didn't feel like another class. There was no WoW Armory where you could look up the character that just killed you in a battleground. There were no achievements--it wasn't needed.

The game experienced unsurpassed growth in only two versions of the game: Classic and The Burning Crusade, which makes sense as both versions of the game are very similar to each other in terms of mechanics, outdoor zones, music & sound, dungeon, pvp, and raid flow.

You had to talk to people, you didn't push a single button to get into a dungeon or raid. World PvP was incredible. The game was simple, not overly decorative. There comes a time when you realize; we have way too much clutter on the screen during combat now.

There was no cross-realm. Each server was personal. You knew the villains on the other faction through World PvP or battlegrounds. There were only 3 battlegrounds, and each one as epic as the last. The server forums were a place to engage in contested conversation about what just happened in the last battle.

There was no CRZ. The outdoor world was seamless, without lag, and each zone transitioned from one to the next. There was no hitch or pause as you entered a new zone. There was no random dismounting as you entered a new zone. When someone spoke in Chat, they were on your server. Zones that were suppose to be isolated in lore, were actually isolated in the game. Today CRZ destroys lore with Northrend having more players in it today than there were during Wrath.

Ironforge was the Alliance Capital in Classic, it was bustling, a huge gathering place for guilds, and players alike in the area between the bank and the Auction house. People would show off their new items and their epic mounts there. Each faction city felt unique and felt different.

The music and sound were perfect. Eastern & Western Plaguelands with its cursed lands music. Silithus and Tanaris with its desert wasteland music. Flightpaths were not in every imaginable place, they were strategically placed around the world. Players would actually travel to get to a flight path. Some zones didn't even a flight path at one point, such as Un'Goro crater, making it that much more isolated.

40-man raiding. A technological innovation unsurpassed by nearly every other game out there, much less an MMORPG. Epic meant epic. When you got a piece of loot, minus VendorStrike, it meant something to you. It was with you sometimes up to a year or more. It was not vendored and replaced every other day. One legendary item required first obtaining two separate legendary items, and for most, it wouldn't drop for years apart. They truly were legendary.

When Blizzard announced the removal of 40-man raiding, and decided on 25-man raids for The Burning Crusade, many high end guilds were forced to split apart, many friendships were destroyed as suddenly players were forced to choose sides. Often, one half of a split guild would end up disbanding and people became very bitter. It was a very sad time for my guild and many others on my server. I may never forgive Blizzard for that, as it's something they never actually had to do and is the only blight on the first expansion in the game--which is just as good as Classic World of Warcraft otherwise.
Because after some people get to a certain age, memories become more important than new experiences. As people's minds get older, tired, and they have less time on thier hands, and they are less willing to invest the time and effort needed to experience something new and great.

It doesn't matter that its crap compared to a lot of today's improvement. They aren't playing the game, they are reliving old memories.
As I said in another thread, I'm personally indifferent to the idea, but I can easily see where the company wouldn't want to give players the option of paying $15 a month forever and ever while never buying another expansion pack in their life. Plus, it's almost kinda like admitting, "there are x number of players on these servers who think the modern version of our game is !@#$", which I'm sure is never a good prospect for a business.

I doubt I'd play a Legacy server myself, but idgaf if it's added because it doesn't really hurt me all that much.
Most of what you think is better now are cosmetic changes that don't change gameplay. Also lol at thinking vanilla was any more imbalanced than now.