Why is Vanilla so wanted?

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 26 Next
10/08/2016 06:23 AMPosted by Perplexed
The big difference from now and than is the community back than was awesome.

Agreed. Perhaps part of the reason why people think they want vanilla WoW back is because of the way the community behaved back then.

There is so much frustration, lack of patience, selfishness, posturing, exclusion and imbalances in this game right now that it's getting many people really worked up and that situation feels like it is snowballing.

Right now there is just very little for the community/server to do right now as a community. People are so split off in their echelons and cliques that anyone outside those niche groups is viewed with disdain. At least with the Demon Invasions we were working together in big chaotic zergs. It felt like a communal event.

I think most people would benefit immensely if there was more to do as a community. Splitting everyone off into normal/heroic/mythic/mythic+/mythic++/ludicrous speed might be a great way for the developers to recycle content but I do not think it is healthy for the community.
In Vanilla I was Field Marshall. I was part of a great experience. Each succeeding expac I fell behind. At Cata I left for 6 years. I was curious to see what had been done.

I am so far behind now it is futile. Good luck to all who love legion.
10/08/2016 12:08 PMPosted by Blackgoddess
10/08/2016 12:01 PMPosted by Rankìn
LFR is not comparable with the resources that would be necessary to create an maintain an entirely separate MMO.
What would Blizzard need to create?

The code so it will run (properly) on Modern hardware or purchase old server hardware (as they VERY PUBLICALLY sold off the old hardware) would be step 1.
People need to remember that even if Vanilla returns, most of those friends from back in the day won't be there.
10/08/2016 12:24 PMPosted by Somalion
The code so it will run (properly) on Modern hardware or purchase old server hardware (as they VERY PUBLICALLY sold off the old hardware) would be step 1.

Could just get it from Nostalrius and tweak a few things. No big deal.

As for the OP's main question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM40cK5tu7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOYmqSF6OQ
I would like the option to do both. And I really don't see why that could possibly bother anyone else, but it does.

Could just get it from Nostalrius and tweak a few things. No big deal

Yes let's legitimize thieves there is no way they would put viruses into their code right ? oh wait they are criminals so most likely they won't. Right ? right ?

So they should trust criminals ?
10/08/2016 12:08 PMPosted by Blackgoddess
...What would Blizzard need to create?

That's the problem with those that think that Blizzard just needs to snap their fingers and a classic server will appear; they just aren't thinking things through.

Yeah, vanilla wow was a great game, but the game generally just has gotten so much better since then (with a few notable exceptions) No way you could get 10k people to sub on that server long term
World of Warcraft in it's original form was a marvel of social engineering. It was a game that slowly built itself in complexity around you as you progressed forward. The game was difficult enough that often in the world you would have to form parties merely to progress through areas in the open world that were in a function soft dungeons. This eased you into the idea of communicating with other players. Banding together to take down common goals transitioned smoothly into instanced dungeons that required slightly more organization and preparation. The minor details weren't so important because the game was paced so deliberately that every step of progress felt earned and rewarding.

I have actually enjoyed playing Legion so far but while it's a fun game it's still not the game I want it to be. This modern incarnation of WoW feels a lot more like it wants to be an action game with loot piñata Diablo III styled handouts. I was able to gear up to 842 merely through world quests in the first two weeks and by the time I entered Mythics I was already overgeared. While there is plenty to do and the game feels a world apart and ultimately far better than Warlords it's not the slow burn progression based RPG that us old school WoW fans long for.

In Vanilla WoW the journey is the important part of the game. It isn't about burning through all of the content at blistering speeds to reach end game. It's an adventure to assemble your character as you gain skills and abilities and piece together the best resources and assets you can to be useful to the players around you. Accumulating wealth is a struggle, accumulating gear is a struggle, but the struggle is where the fun comes from. Vanilla WoW isn't objectively a better game than World of Warcraft Legion but it is a very different game. I personally prefer the old way to the new and would love to play on official Blizzard legacy servers.
Do you know why Vanilla was so awesome? Because it was all new. That, plus the sense of community on each server, where guilds mattered and making a bad name for yourself was a death sentence. The first can never be recaptured, but the sense of community could be rebuilt, but sacrifices must be made. Servers must be merged, alliance to horde ratio's must be evened out, and the Guild finder tool must be completely redone. Just about everything else people commonly mention when talking about how awesome Vanilla was, actually sucked. 40 man raids? Sound awesome, sucked for 80 different reasons. Resist gearing? Sucked. Attunement chains? Sucked. No flying? Sucked. Off specs and talent trees? Sucked.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED Vanilla, but not for any reasons that can ever be reproduced again, except maybe a better sense of community. There have been so many QOL improvements since Vanilla that to go back to it would be such culture shock almost nobody could stand it.
10/08/2016 06:23 AMPosted by Perplexed
The big difference from now and than is the community back than was awesome.

It's really not different. People haven't changed.

What changed is people are no longer accountable in game.
I grew up playing incredibly grindy games so I wouldn't mind giving vanilla WoW a go, honestly. I didn't have the slightest clue about WoW in 2004 but I really wish I had known about it and gotten to experience vanilla back then.

Could just get it from Nostalrius and tweak a few things. No big deal

Yes let's legitimize thieves there is no way they would put viruses into their code right ? oh wait they are criminals so most likely they won't. Right ? right ?

Yea people who want to see old WoW back would put in viruses so that wouldnt happen

xd
10/08/2016 12:36 PMPosted by Gisço

Yea people who want to see old WoW back would put in viruses so that wouldnt happen

xd

Yes but KNOWN CRIMINALS would.
It would be very interesting to see how a Vanilla server fares.

I played during Vanilla WoW and was in 40-man MC and BWL raids. Unfortunately my guild was not able to get through AQ40 and Naxx before BC hit. Then I quit shortly after BC came out and did not return until halfway through MoP.

What I liked about Vanilla was the sense of wonder it gave me when I first started the game. I also enjoyed the quests, the NPCs' humor, and the lore. But I did not like the long travel times, the slow rep gain, the very limited bag and bank space, the frustration of having to compete for loot (a warrior wanted the Lightforge Chestplate that dropped off Drakk, and I was the only paladin in the group who could really use it), and spamming the LFG channel to form a group or refill a group. The end game comprised of either running the same dungeons over and over, raid, or PVP. In order to be allowed into raids, I had to stand in the back and heal, even though I always like ret spec. There's also the frustration of liking how a particular armor set looks and knowing that you may never get it because it's in a high-end raid and/or you have to compete with so many other players for it.

It was also an incredible experience for me to discover WoW again after having been gone for six years. I found that I could now do a lot of things that I could not do before, like going into undead Strat and beating the crap out of the baron for making me do the 45-min Baron run a hundred times. For me, Vanilla WoW just feels so small when you compare it to the world that we have now. I love questing, transmog, personal loot, battle pets, soloing old raids, doing achievements, easily farming for mounts, and playing in groups as ret. We didn't have those, except questing, back in Vanilla, and I think that's why I stopped playing the game for six years.

xd

Yes but KNOWN CRIMINALS would.

Youre acting like they're out to hurt Blizzard or something.
10/08/2016 12:32 PMPosted by Archos
There have been so many QOL improvements since Vanilla that to go back to it would be such culture shock almost nobody could stand it.

This I can agree with, but a LOT of Vanilla had and continued to have into TBC did not 'suck' notably attunement quest chains - those were awesome, the best storytelling that vanilla (and TBC) had at the time. Also, I had no objections with the old talent trees, my mage misses his elementalist spec.

So, yeah, it wasn't so awesome because it was new, it had a lot good going for it.
In bringing back old content that doesn't receive any planned future updates I have to ask.

Who here enjoyed and wants those 14 months of HFC at the end of WoD back, but this time indefinitely?

WoW, without content updates, goes stale and dies.
If Vanilla never received an update after its last patch before TBC, WoW as a popular game, wouldn't still be around today. I strongly believe players would not have played just vanilla for 10+ years, and if we were to introduce vanilla servers today. I can not imagine them doing at all well in as little as 4 years time from now.

Many other players and I did not enjoy the year+ long spans of SoO and HFC at the end of those expansions. Many quit until new content arrived.
With a true "vanilla" server, no new content can be introduced. It would be in the same state as the game was during the above period of content stagnation, though for a vanilla server, this period would never have a resolution or end. It would just be a perpetual "drought" in terms of content with nothing planned around the corner to alleviate the situation.

Though, a "progression" server that followed an accelerated schedule of the games updates would be interesting and possibly really exciting to experience once or twice. But I have doubts the game was designed in such a forward thinking, bordering on clairvoyant, way as to efficiently allow such a process to occur. Another interesting soultion is introducing realms with altered rule sets for the current game. Much like PvP realms, PvE realms, and the tournament realms have different functioning rule sets. We could add a variety of other realm types with varied rule sets, such as the rule set China had in MoP where raid lockouts reset 2 times a week and 25 player raids dropped higher ilvl loot than 10 player raids. Or a rule set that emulates the popularly suggested (but not many embrace or agree with me included) "Hardcore" concept from Diablo in which death is permanent or has greater consequences such as experience loss. Or a realm with a formal rule set that mimics the "Iron Man Challenge" the community has embraced in recent years.

Maybe the rule sets could be as simple as "Creatures have 50% more damage, health, and healing" - Mythic realms or even the other side of the pendulum. "Creatures have 20% less damage, health, and healing" - Beginner or New Player oriented realms with less difficulty and a less serious rule set. You could even have a realm in which factions don't matter, provided Blizz does some leg work on the tech side of things, in which Horde and Alliance are all friendly and some kind of combined faction. (realms with these kind of wildly varied rules sets would of course necessitate having to restrict transfers into and out of realms not of the same type. )

Instead of large sweeping changes to the games rule set across the board and as a unified whole, I think exploring the possibilities of realms running the current game but employing their own different and unique rule sets are worth exploring.
10/08/2016 12:28 PMPosted by Falathrin

Could just get it from Nostalrius and tweak a few things. No big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOYmqSF6OQ

made me so nostalgic of 2016, best year ever.
You mean like the did with Diablo 2 patch 1.14a this past June.

No need to run in XP mode anymore, Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 compatibility complete
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20742964214