Why is Vanilla so wanted?

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 26 Next
10/08/2016 10:47 AMPosted by Blackgoddess
10/08/2016 10:39 AMPosted by Rankìn
Again, Blizzard doesn't have an infinite budget. The money for classic servers would have to come from somewhere else. And classic servers would not be very cheap to create or maintain.
As did the money for LFR, transmog, pet battles, etc...

Which MILLIONS enjoy, compared to the population that would play on a classic server (especially long term) is huge.

Let's use history to show how unpopular classic servers are for other games :

Runescape said they would make a classic server if they got 500,000 signatures on a petition .. wait where have I seen that number on a petition before .. .oh ya classic WoW servers.

At it's PEAK the runescape classic server hit 50,000 subscribers which is a drop in the bucket.
10/08/2016 06:31 AMPosted by Somalion
I think the problem is that people don't really want classic back.

yeah i really wouldn't mind having it back...

10/08/2016 06:31 AMPosted by Somalion
Hear me out,

after that last thing i quoted....absolutely not
10/08/2016 10:19 AMPosted by Blackgoddess
Just one question for those that bring up reasons for no vanilla servers and excuses why they were bad. Remember you wouldn't need to play on them.

Just because you wouldn't enjoy playing on them does that mean others shouldn't either?

I'd have a vested interest in playing on a vanilla server, but I'm still (generally) arguing 'against it'.

My problem is that most people who pine for it.. Don't seem to have ever played vanilla, or have some seriously bad memories. Vanilla was not easy, friendly, or particularly gentle on time investment. The rampant nature of elitism and the exclusiveness of content, on a vanilla server, would be miles beyond what we currently have in Legion.

I personally have no issues with an actual vanilla server or something like that, I'm merely frustrated by those arguing for it which blatantly have no clue wtf they're talking about.
10/08/2016 10:54 AMPosted by Blimpo
It is NOT a lot of people... can't be more than a few dozen people here. The other thieving website had some players but when asked to pony up real money they all scatter.

That's because the majority of the people who want it were done with this game a long time ago?..

10/08/2016 11:01 AMPosted by Hallinton
My problem is that most people who pine for it.. Don't seem to have ever played vanilla, or have some seriously bad memories.

Nope, nope and nope.
Played vanilla. Played Nostalrius.
Do want an official Blizzard vanilla server.
These threads always make think of Everquest. Played it a ton and loved it! Tried it again years later and didn't last 10 minutes. It's easy to remember the good stuff and gloss over the mountain of bad things.

If a classic server came about I'd check it out to remember the good ol' days but there's no way I'd play long term.
10/08/2016 10:58 AMPosted by Somalion
Which MILLIONS enjoy, compared to the population that would play on a classic server (especially long term) is huge.
And how many people buy Diablo 2 which in fact was patched this past June and still uses the old version of battle.net?

Remember D2 has no resource generation other than the initial sale.

How about Diablo 1 which I think you can still play on battle.net.

Or even the original battle.net which is still going?
Some people want to play it again, others don't.

Just like everything else that exists in the world not everyone feels the same way about it.

I personally find it amazing the energy and thought people put into arguing about this when obviously you either want it or you don't.

It's also pretty pointless to argue that people won't like certain features the game had to offer when, again, different people have different opinions.
If you started in TBC or later you wouldn't understand.

The game was just at its best in Vanilla.
10/08/2016 11:19 AMPosted by Embolo
If you started in TBC or later you wouldn't understand.

The game was just at its best in Vanilla.

Let's agree to disagree.
My problem is that most people who pine for it.. Don't seem to have ever played vanilla, or have some seriously bad memories.

Hi, I started playing WoW on Xmas eve of 2004. This account even. My memory is pretty good.

Vanilla was not easy, friendly, or particularly gentle on time investment.

Sounds amazing! Lets hope Blizz announces Legacy servers in time for Christmas!
10/08/2016 10:30 AMPosted by Insanctylem
Let me just go ahead and answer both of you. The source is economics. With economics in business(and life really) you must always consider the opportunity costs with time spent. Why should blizzard spend a few months getting a decade old server ready to launch for a few small crowds that would die out in that time or less?
So what your saying is they should remove LFR due to people unsubbing after they complete it. After which they should take that money and put it into something else.
I joined in classic and all I can say is I do NOT want it back.

Compared to the game we have today, classic was a hot mess and near impossible to form a group for raids. Trying to get 40 people all on one schedule was damn near impossible.

Also I find it funny how people complain about class balance now, and say it was better in classic. You mean when 80% of specs weren't even viable, and paladins / priests / shamans / druids could ONLY heal and nothing else.

Don't even get me started on the pvp mess...
10/08/2016 10:58 AMPosted by Somalion
Let's use history to show how unpopular classic servers are for other games :

Runescape said they would make a classic server if they got 500,000 signatures on a petition .. wait where have I seen that number on a petition before .. .oh ya classic WoW servers.

At it's PEAK the runescape classic server hit 50,000 subscribers which is a drop in the bucket.
Let's take this in context.

Say there are ~ 500 WoW realms worldwide and 5 million paying subs or so. So say an average of 10k per realm.

If they put up one vanilla server and 10k played on it sure the 10k is a drop in the bucket compared to 5 million but, compared to the average per server it's pretty damn good.

Can't compare the number playing on many servers to the number playing on one.

edit:
Oh well the people whom downvote but don't try to provide a valid argument are here.
10/08/2016 10:54 AMPosted by Blimpo
It is NOT a lot of people... can't be more than a few dozen people here. The other thieving website had some players but when asked to pony up real money they all scatter.
I know of at least 50 folks who would like the option of a vanilla server a few would actually come back to WoW if it happened.

Would you pay for a server which could be shut down at any time?

Coincidentally, Nostalrius was shut down shortly after putting up a link asking for donations.
10/08/2016 11:28 AMPosted by Blackgoddess
So what your saying is they should remove LFR due to people unsubbing after they complete it. After which they should take that money and put it into something else.

LFR is not comparable with the resources that would be necessary to create an maintain an entirely separate MMO.
I think what I loved most about it was that every zone in Kalimdor and EK was relevant. Leveling wasn't mindless chore to get to max level; leveling was the heart of the game. Quests were our heroics, the world was our dungeon.

I'm a huge advocate of not getting rid of content. Whether it be the Mop legendary questline, Wod ring, or anything else. What cata essentially did was destroy the heart and feel of so many vanilla zones. I want to experience them again.
10/08/2016 12:01 PMPosted by Rankìn
LFR is not comparable with the resources that would be necessary to create an maintain an entirely separate MMO.
What would Blizzard need to create?
10/08/2016 06:45 AMPosted by Verbatim
Most of what you think is better now are cosmetic changes that don't change gameplay. Also lol at thinking vanilla was any more imbalanced than now.

It was more imbalanced, you're just bad all around.
I don't want vanilla rather have chocolate not big on taste of vanilla.