Zoom nerfed on PTR. Intended?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
10/20/2016 11:09 AMPosted by Velara
Doesn't vomit-cam make the whole world seem bigger? /snark

Kinda, when you're forced to consider all of those OTHER GAMES lol.
Intended, yes - but maybe not quite in the way you phrased it.

The CVar has changed to cameraDistanceMaxZoomFactor, so the command you will want to use now is "/console cameraDistanceMaxZoomFactor 2.6". This value should also persist now, so you only need to use the command once.

The slider itself was unnecessary, and has been removed. The default value is set to the max, and very, very few people (if anyone?) used it to reduce their maximum zoom distance. The game's zoom distance will now default to the old maximum value of 1.9 unless changed with the above console command.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, though! Appreciate the feedback here. :)
10/20/2016 12:09 PMPosted by Ornyx

The CVar has changed to cameraDistanceMaxZoomFactor, so the command you will want to use now is "/console cameraDistanceMaxZoomFactor 2.6". This value should also persist now, so you only need to use the command once.

The slider itself was unnecessary, and has been removed. The default value is set to the max, and very, very few people (if anyone?) used it to reduce their maximum zoom distance. The game's zoom distance will now default to the old maximum value of 1.9 unless changed with the above console command.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, though! Appreciate the feedback here. :)

Thank you, Ornyx.
Glad to see you're better.

Thank you for the response. I'll hop on and see how it works out
10/20/2016 12:13 PMPosted by Gigabear

Thank you for the response. I'll hop on and see how it works out

Gigabear I love your guild name.

That is all.
10/20/2016 12:15 PMPosted by Melaroi

Gigabear I love your guild name.

That is all.

Money well spent :)
I work really hard to live up to it too.

Also, after 3 attempts I cannot log into PTR. Crashed 3 times on loadup. I don't have enough time before work to sort it, so I will presume the command is working. If someone can test it, that'd be great.
The slider itself was unnecessary, and has been removed.

Can you ask the dev team to do one small test before considering this to go live? Try the Lorlathil daily where you have to gather the nuts. I have to zoom way in to click on them, otherwise the click region is so small, it's frustrating. I'm sure there are other quests that will be similar (catching the squirrels or whatever they are) in hyjal, for instance.
10/20/2016 12:20 PMPosted by Laminated

Can you ask the dev team to do one small test before considering this to go live? Try the Lorlathil daily where you have to gather the nuts. I have to zoom way in to click on them, otherwise the click region is so small, it's frustrating. I'm sure there are other quests that will be similar (catching the squirrels or whatever they are) in hyjal, for instance.

What Ornyx means is nobody used the maximum distance slider to reduce the maximum zoom distance to lower than default.

You'll still be able to zoom in without that slider.
10/20/2016 12:20 PMPosted by Laminated

This doesn't affect the amount you can zoom in, only the amount you can zoom out. We did take situations like this into account, but we don't believe players are necessarily reducing their maximum camera view distance for this (rather than just mouse-wheeling to zoom in).
About the camera zoom. There's that Eye Boss in Throne of Thunder. The achieve "crossing the streams" basically requires the old zoom distance to see the white puff that literally only lasts like .5 seconds. I'd love to have the zoom nerf completely reversed, but if not, at least make the white cloud last like 5 seconds. My gf's sis is having trouble doing that achieve.

Edit: I remember it was even hard to see w/ 7 people doing it (when I got my achieve).
Can I just buy the zoom out option on the shop. This is such a hassle.

Do you know what it's like to be a gnome and you can't see over the Dranei's hooves in front of you? Please let me zoom out. I don't have a foot fetish and should not be forced into staring at them.
10/20/2016 10:17 AMPosted by Gigabear
I cannot understand it at all. More options means more things to potentially appeal to more people.

More options means more code, I doubt the current crop could figure out how to program the action cam with a large field of view. This would explain why they are so dead set on keeping it low.

Feckless programmers lead to lots and lots of "WTF" moments in software.
As for constructive feedback, having practical experience being a raid boss has left me in dire need of all the zoom I can get. The changes in 7.0 to make the camera fly up to head level, even if that's over a hundred feet in the air, has made it very difficult to interact with my fellow players since I can't see them.

Please consider a full revert on the original zoom nerf. Thank you.
10/20/2016 12:30 PMPosted by Morsel

Do you know what it's like to be a gnome and you can't see over the Dranei's hooves in front of you? Please let me zoom out. I don't have a foot fetish and should not be forced into staring at them.
There's a post about ten up from here that says how to obtain the function come 7.1.
Ornyx thank you very much for the information. <3

I *wish* that you at Blizzard would document changes like these some way so that it doesn't require players to go "WHAT?!" on the forums to publicize the new command. I dislike the roller coaster feeling that happens with this kind of interaction. It always leaves me slightly less positive feeling about the game and company than I was to start with.

Just tell us when you guys change something, before we have to suss it out for ourselves, so it doesn't feel like the devs are trying to slip something past us.
10/20/2016 12:38 PMPosted by Ornyx

There's a post about ten up from here that says how to obtain the function come 7.1.

yea what about the few million of people who dont come to the forums huh? Why change something that didnt need to be changed. Is it so that you can have people come to the forums to complain?
7.1 better not show up on live like is being reported here. I'm not going to go ballistic yet because it's not live, but if this come to us as is then... yeah... prepare for full on ballistic. :-P
10/20/2016 12:38 PMPosted by Ornyx

He might be talking about the original nerf from zoom 50. I know I'm still periodically bummed about it.

Regardless, thanks for passing along the new cvar name!
Very glad to see the new Cvar name, but it's still frustrating that this is tied up in a hidden setting rather than a straightforward interface option when such a big deal was made before about zooming out further with the Cvar giving an unfair advantage to those who knew about it. An interface setting lets everyone find it.

But that's not directed at you personally, Ornyx; all you can do is share info with us, which is appreciated. Thank you for sharing the new Cvar name :)
Umm so wait is the new zoom on ptr less than live now? Im confused whats changed?