SV viability?

Hunter
I've currently got a hunter at level 109 and think survival is pretty cool and fun. But before I spend a lot of time investing into it, is it viable at all for mythic plus and raids? On my main Shaman, I don't think I've ever seen a SV hunter on any mythic plus or raids. Is it that BM and MM are just that much better? Or is SV just not good enough?
With even just 13 levels, it's fun for WQs and quests, but for dungeons, BM outdoes it for burst and AOE and for raids, MM murders everything for sustained single-target damage.

The Survivalist trait and Terms of Engagement artifact power ensures that you can seamlessly move from mob to mob while always healing up, Flanking Strike means that your pet is always holding threat, and with the changes to the level 45 movement talents in 7.1, you're guaranteed to move faster than either MM or BM (as posthaste's worth is much lower for a PVE SV).

Let's put it this way: even though I have a level 20+ MM artifact and a level 13 BM gun, I always do WQs as SV.
SRV is fun but competitive in raids or dungeons? Not by a long shot.

Party leaders are spoilt for choice when it comes to melee DPS and between the bugs and poorly tuned abilities, SRV is still the lame runt of the litter.
10/12/2016 08:50 PMPosted by Vandren

Party leaders are spoilt for choice when it comes to melee DPS and between the bugs and poorly tuned abilities, SRV is still the lame runt of the litter.

This is overly pessimistic, I think.

For the few parses it has, SV is actually performing great in raids. They lack the AOE, but maybe the Carve buff (which is huge) will help?

The problem I have with SV is that the stat priority is so different from MM, and my guild runs EPGP and I don't want spend points on SV gear to try it out in case I don't like it. lol
10/13/2016 05:08 AMPosted by Columbo
10/12/2016 08:50 PMPosted by Vandren

This is overly pessimistic, I think.

For the few parses it has, SV is actually performing great in raids. They lack the AOE, but maybe the Carve buff (which is huge) will help?

The problem I have with SV is that the stat priority is so different from MM, and my guild runs EPGP and I don't want spend points on SV gear to try it out in case I don't like it. lol
Honestly EN has basically no good gear for Survival bar a single ring from Nyth and the trinket from Ursoc (even most of the relic traits are garbage), if you want Surv gear you gotta do PvP or look for crafted stuff.

@OP, I main Survival and can tell you that if you know what you're doing you'll do fine. Don't listen to the parrots repeating the negative things they've heard from those who think Survival's a joke but have never even played it. Yes, the spec has issues (lackluster mastery, lack of talent viability, having to use a certain type of pet and have it as a certain spec, traits for skills that are wastes of GCDs, less survivability than the other two specs), but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, and it's a hell of a lot more fun and engaging than MM or BM.
It IS fun and engaging, and it has the potential to have a lot of utility in raids, but because its primary stat is versatility, its gearing options are very limited. Also, unless it lands the killing blow on adds, its ability from move from mob to mob will be limited because its movement buffs are limited to AOTC. Even DKs with their legendary lead feet are faster than SV hunters when it comes to runnin out of void zones.

Compare this to the sheer firepower the two other specs offer and...yeah.
SV is pretty awesome for WQs and BGs. Struggling a bit with it in arenas atm, but not going to blame the spec, I need a lot more practice.

It has been difficult to get into mythic dungeons, and I'm probably going to have to start my own groups to achieve much there. Number one problem, even with aoe buffs incoming in 7.1, our perception is bad; and that often becomes reality for those selecting melee dps. (Plus, DHs coming in rocking while our class is fumbling around, didn't help either. lol.)
It is definitely pretty bad. Certain fights I'd have to put myself closer to danger just so explosive trap can trigger. It wouldn't be such a huge problem if it wasn't for SV hunters do not have any cooldowns outside of a 2 minute 30% heal...Also explosive trap not triggering on some bosses at all.
10/13/2016 06:38 AMPosted by Kabbie
It IS fun and engaging, and it has the potential to have a lot of utility in raids, but because its primary stat is versatility, its gearing options are very limited. Also, unless it lands the killing blow on adds, its ability from move from mob to mob will be limited because its movement buffs are limited to AOTC. Even DKs with their legendary lead feet are faster than SV hunters when it comes to runnin out of void zones.

Compare this to the sheer firepower the two other specs offer and...yeah.

You don't need to add the killing blow to reset Cooldown. You can zip all over the place to get from target to target. Moving to avoid hazards, though, is a big issue for survival because our movement buffs are only towards a target.

Versatility as best secondary stat is a problem for gearing. I've spent a lot of gold to upgrade crafted gear just to get rid of mastery and I'm still not done. That said, a focus on mastery has helped me a fair bit with one of the other chief complaints: survivability. I am starting to notice a difference.

Of course, the relative weakness of mastery is going to be a huge problem down the road in terms of scaling.
SV getting many damage buffes in 7.1. Be interesting to see how that pans out. And no, dps sims are not accurate, so spare us.