Hunter Pet Question - Cats Still >> All?

Hunter
Hi all!

General pet question here: Are all pets supposed to have the same dps now regardless of spec? I noticed this the other day. I was using the Kil'uun bird pet for the Mongoose bite procs then switched over to my cat and noticed that if you check both pets using Beast Lore (not sure why there is no pet menu anymore on character screen), the birds dps for me at the time was about 3800 where the cat had about 4600. Both were specced ferocity and same level.

I was curious so I grabbed a spider, bear, and ox and specced them ferocity but all had same dps level as the bird.

Now I know cats used to be king, but I thought as of this expansion, all pet dmg was normalized between pet families. Even when I moved to Tenacity across the board (for the extra thunderstomp proc for Mongoose bite), the cat dps was still significantly higher.

I use Skarr as my cat pet but I wouldnt think him being a rare special pet should increase dps.
Possibly family ability use is delaying Bite/Claw/Smack uses? Also, I wouldn't put much stock in what Beast Lore shows about an animal other than what it eats and whether it's tameable.
Pet's are just for looks these days.
Stick with something with MS for the extra mongoose procs.
@Skeith,

I agree about the procs. I was just curious as to why cats in general seem to have higher dps numbers than other pet families or if my game was just bugged or something.
Best way to find out would be to have it sit on a target dummy with Recount or Skada running for five minutes, then try with other pets.
Yea I guess I'll have to do that. I will say just running around and questing, the cat does seem to hit bigger numbers than any of my other pets, regardless of spec, but that could also be due to level/gear possibly.

If anyone else has already done said research and is willing to share their wisdom, please do :)
Did your cat have Prowl active? If so my guess would be that the Prowl bonus to the next attack shows up in their damage stat while it's active.
10/19/2016 07:23 AMPosted by Aleyah
Possibly family ability use is delaying Bite/Claw/Smack uses? Also, I wouldn't put much stock in what Beast Lore shows about an animal other than what it eats and whether it's tameable.

Yeah it uses the pet GCD but pet attack is largely based on focus regen anyways so u wont miss anything
Prowl was active, but again even during combat on larger bosses, the cat just puts out bigger numbers. I'll do some more thorough research when I log on and try to find some solid numbers to go off of that don't come from Beast Lore haha
UPDATE:
Ran the tests last night with Recount for just pet damage. Because I am survival, I ran them as Tenacity to work off of the thunderstomp usage as well since I'll be using that normally. Cat, ox, bird, and spider all seemed to do same average damage.

Conclusion: Beast Lore damage reading probably bugged/incorrect.
I still roll with a cat