Order halls drain my enthusiasm

General Discussion
Let me begin by saying I think overall Legion is a great expansion. The story is better than time traveling orcs and alternate realities, not all the class changes have quite hit the mark yet but at least they were bold, I like that we have good reason to be out in the world at max level, etc. Order halls, however...

The only thing I like about them is they're a scenic space to share with other players of the same class. Kudos on that, but I can't for the life of me understand why the mission table was brought on from Warlords. Because Blizzard doesn't want that development time to go to waste? Because they want us to think about WoW while we use our cellphones?

Look, maybe a few players out there genuinely enjoy sending their followers out on missions. I wouldn't care if it was in the game if my progress wasn't gated behind it. Every time I want to play an alt? Third relic is gated behind the mission table. I don't want to lose out on 2-3k artifact power per day on my main? Mission table. This isn't like pet battles where if we don't personally enjoy the content we can simply skip it.

Next up is order hall resources. Mostly what this does is build further upon the mission table - I have to check some stupid dwarf for my follower armaments every day. I have to run between two different recruiters to make sure I have knights and squires to assist my champions. How is any of this supposed to be fun? I find it so incredibly tedious.

And then our second legendary is gated behind resources. Fantastic. The only thing resources are good for is artifact knowledge. AK is a good mechanic imo.

Anyway, most of the order hall stuff is a bunch of minutia that I can't ignore and detracts from the overall game. The problem is the same as it was in Warlords - I want to play my character instead of pretending to be a commander by putting the circle shape in the circle hole and the triangle shape in the triangle hole. I'm incredibly frustrated at Blizzard for forcing me to do this crap again if I want to play the rest of their game.
Does anyone else feel the same way? Or perhaps differently?
idk, I find the mission table pretty ignorable. I had to use it for a few days during the campaign questline, but otherwise it feels very "take it or leave it."

I don't mind sending followers off for some extra AP but if I don't get to it for several days, or a week, it really doesn't matter because I get way more AP from world quests and raiding anyway.

Resources just feel like the normal "grind currency, use on this thing I need for progression" to me and I need them mainly for the hall upgrades (which is mostly for the sake of eventual legendaries) and artifact knowledge.

I also like my class hall so much that I almost want to head over there for some chores on a semi-regular basis, whereas I mostly disliked spending time alone in my fugly garrison.
10/06/2016 01:02 PMPosted by Churchmouse
Does anyone else feel the same way? Or perhaps differently?

I appreciate your sentiment but no. as Tets said, they are ignorable. You don't have to do them.

THe placement of the gear/follower recruiters is...a tad.....moronic. but w/e. It's a tiny time sink.

And actually...once you are done with your class hall missions...you can, infact, skip it.
http://i.imgur.com/KdapQ3K.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kyJPJEB.jpg

With the bonus rolls (which are easy to make with decent followers) that's 10,000 artifact power for those three class hall missions, or the equivalent of ten world quests. Not to mention how much class hall stuff you need to do on any fresh level 110 alt to reach your third relic and unlock your second legendary. This is clearly mandatory.
I don't mind them. I spend most of my time in dungeons, raids, or doing WQs. It doesn't take me long to send a couple followers out and upgrade my artifact research.
The missions are long, doable from a cellphone to keep me entertained at Work/Gym as a once a day thing. The followers are very limited, meaning there's actual pick/choose gameplay (can't just 100% all the board missions).

The missions gameplay wasn't all bad in WoD, and it's just been made more interesting and more out of the way in Legion.
10/06/2016 01:29 PMPosted by Churchmouse
I don't know how you guys can call this ignorable:

With the bonus rolls (which aren't hard to make with decent followers) that's upwards of 10,000 artifact power in one day. You can also see some pretty hefty gold quests, almost 1k from one of them without a bonus roll.

And every single alt requires you to do the class hall campaign for your third relic slot and then get all your order hall upgrades (over 40k resources).

DOn't make me do it....don't make me do it! youre going to make me do it aren't you? to quote a panda...."slooooooooow down"

after you get the first couple of gold dragons your artifact choices are between "meh" and "crap"

You don't NEED to do "all the things" NOWNOWNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you burn out that way.

SLow and steady and all that.
Personally I like the Follower missions. And I also liked them in WoD. They remind me of ST:O and Jr Officer away missions. In ST:O they were a fun mini-game inside the main game where you could get ship resources, crafting resources, a bit of XP, etc.

I wish I knew why people enjoyed them in ST:O but in WoW dislike the exact same concept. Maybe because they fit better into the ST:O lore? Because they were a part of the game early on? Maybe it's just the nature of the game where in ST:O you're a ship captain so it's natural to send crew on missions and in WoW you're, by and large, a solo adventurer.
10/06/2016 01:37 PMPosted by Edenmyriad
I don't know how you guys can call this ignorable:

With the bonus rolls (which aren't hard to make with decent followers) that's upwards of 10,000 artifact power in one day. You can also see some pretty hefty gold quests, almost 1k from one of them without a bonus roll.

And every single alt requires you to do the class hall campaign for your third relic slot and then get all your order hall upgrades (over 40k resources).

DOn't make me do it....don't make me do it! youre going to make me do it aren't you? to quote a panda...."slooooooooow down"

after you get the first couple of gold dragons your artifact choices are between "meh" and "crap"

You don't NEED to do "all the things" NOWNOWNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you burn out that way.

While in general I agree with you; I don't really mind the AP wait (it's not a grind, it's a wait. 24,900% AP increase for AK level 25. It's a matter of waiting 'til you get there).

But I also agree with the OP that it is completely asinine to gate Order Hall Campaign progress behind the mission tables (demon's blood; lumenstone). Do it by levels, that's fine, no problem having to level up to get quests, I've been doing that for 11 years, but to say "Okey, great, you're high enough level, you've done all the other prerequisites, now run ten 12-hour missions."

Makes me not even want to log on to my alts knowing that crap is just waiting for me. Heck, the only way I could deal with my alts (what little I played of them) in WoD was to outright ignore the mission table. I can't even do that now.

you burn out that way.

While in general I agree with you; I don't really mind the AP wait (it's not a grind, it's a wait. 24,900% AP increase for AK level 25. It's a matter of waiting 'til you get there).

But I also agree with the OP that it is completely asinine to gate Order Hall Campaign progress behind the mission tables (demon's blood; lumenstone). Do it by levels, that's fine, no problem having to level up to get quests, I've been doing that for 11 years, but to say "Okey, great, you're high enough level, you've done all the other prerequisites, now run ten 12-hour missions."

Makes me not even want to log on to my alts knowing that crap is just waiting for me. Heck, the only way I could deal with my alts (what little I played of them) in WoD was to outright ignore the mission table. I can't even do that now.
again...it doesn't need to be done NOWNOWNOW!!!!

you'll have what...like 2 years to get through this sandpaper enema with a lemon chaser. Are people planning on mythic raiding on what...12 alts?
10/06/2016 01:37 PMPosted by Berith
The missions are long, doable from a cellphone to keep me entertained at Work/Gym as a once a day thing. The followers are very limited, meaning there's actual pick/choose gameplay (can't just 100% all the board missions).

I don't want to bring WoW with me outside. I don't want to come home and have to manage my champions, recruit new knights and squires, pick up my armaments, etc. Some people say it only takes 5 min, but are those 5 min fun? Do you want to spend those 5 min every day on every character? Do you enjoy your third relic slot and second legendary being gated for every alt behind these boring missions that don't actually have you play your character?

10/06/2016 01:37 PMPosted by Edenmyriad

you burn out that way.

The majority of my traits are pretty good, and once you've filled them all out there's a final trait that's a pure output increase.

Anyway, I'm not gonna just skip a free 10k artifact power. Order hall missions are a boring form of progression but it is progression. Personally I'd remove these missions and bake in some extra artifact power to world quests, dungeons, etc. That way if you want to improve your character you go out and kill stuff. Like grinding gear, you know? The way it's always been in MMO's.

I just don't see the gameplay in running around my class hall talking to different NPC's to recruit more followers, order more equipment, etc. If there are people out there who legitimately enjoy this then perhaps missions should continue to reward gold or pets or whatever. It shouldn't increase character power - that way people who don't enjoy it could ignore it.
What was that joke they used to tell us during WoD?

Oh right... Garrisons are optional.

Hahaha. Haha. Ha.

:(