Addon PLH: Used to Demand people's Loot?

General Discussion
1 2 3 81 Next
Seen this trend a lot lately in LFR and so I figure I'll mention it to Blizzard though it has not affected me yet. There's an add-on called PLH. It's used for the most part to notify you when a drop is not an upgrade for the looter, but is an upgrade for you or others in your group.

https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/personal-loot-helper

Problem here is that it broadcasts it into Instance Chat rather than quietly inform you of the matter. Because of this I've seen several situations where people (such as enchanters) might want to hold on to the loot they legitimately won, only to have some loudmouth demand the loot and try to get the person kicked from the group, because they would not give up loot that they feel entitled to.

I think this addon should be broken as soon as possible, or the authors contacted and requested to turn it to a private add-on that notifies only the person using it. Folks can whisper an individual in question about the item and it can be decided between the two parties rather than used as a tactic to pressure people into giving up their loot "or else".

This is less of a issue for Tanks and Healers who can find a new group relatively quickly, but probably a big issue for a DPS that waited up to an hour for a group.

Much like the spam that comes from people who post DPS recounts to gloat and assuage the ego, I feel like certain pieces of data should only be viewable to the person who is using the addon.

By this I mean I feel like certain sorts of data should not be able to be displayed to the entire raid to pressure someone into a trade they may not be alright with, as it amounts to basically a name/shame tactic. It does not improve the experience of raiding in LFR, but rather negatively impacts it.
10/23/2016 04:04 PMPosted by Ilius
I think this addon should be broken or the authors contacted and requested to turn it to a private addon that notifies only the person using it.

The addon author has posted in threads on this topic here before. He unfortunately seems pretty pleased with his addon and I rather doubt he'd change it in that manner.

Currently, the best solution is to simply refuse to share loot if anyone is using the addon, in order to discourage use of the addon.
10/23/2016 04:07 PMPosted by Nixxia
The addon author has posted in threads on this topic here before. He unfortunately seems pretty pleased with his addon and I rather doubt he'd change it in that manner.

Sounds like Blizzard should break the addon then if this fellow won't cooperate.
I liked it at first but as usual, people can't control themselves and behave and it's become another method to abuse people. You have a right to say no, but unfortunately the people that use this addon probably don't agree. It's not cool.
If you don't want to feel shamed, have you tried simply offering the loot you don't need? Being generous or helpful wouldn't kill you would it?
YEAH DUDE, THIS ADDON IS HORRIBLE. WORST ONE IN THE HISTORY OF WOW. ITS LIKE WALKING THROUGH THE SLUMS HOLDING A PLACARD ANNOUNCING HOW MUCH CASH YOU HAVE IN YOUR WALLET. LITERALLY NO DIFFERENT.
Someone runs that add-on and uses that to demand a piece of loot from you... walk up to them, open trade window, put the item into it... wait for them to accept... then close the window, push your Disenchant Button, disenchant it in front of them, and then say "QQ."

No one's entitled to your loot and don't let some stupid add-on say otherwise.
10/23/2016 04:10 PMPosted by Limeli
If you don't want to feel shamed, have you tried simply offering the loot you don't need? Being generous or helpful wouldn't kill you would it?

That's the thing though. Maybe the person wants it for whatever reason. Transmog or shards for example. Or maybe it's a slight downgrade for ilevel, but better stats.

and if I'm collecting shards for a neck enchant?
or broke and need gold?
or ______

maybe people shouldn't be trying to shame others into handing over loot in their bags.
I wonder if it is just working on item level as well, where the item might not actually be an upgrade.
I wouldn't mind using something like this myself if:

1. It only announces to me.
2. It takes into account the full stat values and priority for the potential recipient, and not just the item level. (Is it Really an upgrade?)

I'm not about to learn all classes stat priorities, inspect them for what they currently have, and compare it against the item that just dropped for me.
If I knew it was an upgrade, I'd offer it, but not if it's going to take me 5 minutes to figure it out.
Or you can just tell them no.

I usually do, but when the addon lights up the chat window and I'm immediately inundated with whispers that don't ask if I need the item, but rather tell me to give it to them, I trade it to my friend and he disenchants it right in front of their face.

You don't decide what loot I do and do not need, and acting like a vulture is the best way to ensure you get nothing.
10/23/2016 04:14 PMPosted by Fugubar
well, where the item might not actually be an upgrade.
I wouldn't mind using something like this my

It's just able to tell that the item a player won is lower ilevel of what they have. It doesn't factor stat values at all and that's part of why it's an entirely stupid system since it's not truly announcing that the item the player got isn't better for them, just that they're able to trade it.
I have no issues with the addon, if it's the one I am thinking of, where it points out if it's a upgrade for someone in the group.

At the end of the day it's a yes or no Q/A, and if someone can use the upgrade and you're not sharding it or using for off-spec no reason not to ask if someone would want it.
Pretty sure I'd keep the loot on principle, even take the kick from LFR.

I tend to react to bullying by being obstinate. I might not "win", but I can make dang sure you don't either.
10/23/2016 04:14 PMPosted by Fugubar
I wonder if it is just working on item level as well, where the item might not actually be an upgrade.
I wouldn't mind using something like this myself if:

1. It only announces to me.
2. It takes into account the full stat values and priority for the potential recipient, and not just the item level. (Is it Really an upgrade?)

I'm not about to learn all classes stat priorities, inspect them for what they currently have, and compare it against the item that just dropped for me.
If I knew it was an upgrade, I'd offer it, but not if it's going to take me 5 minutes to figure it out.

The addon is based solely on ilvl, which is especially problematic in this expansion.

It doesn't shame me. It makes me laugh at the audacity, and also that much more likely to simply say no and leave the group with 1 tank if threatened. Thank you for bringing a very solid example of the problem and perception of entitlement that this addon creates however to this thread.

Since I know a lot of younger players don't know right from wrong in this Internet era, a free lesson in common courtesy. Run for a safe-space if you don't like it because a unpopular opinion that may challenge your mind is incoming.

It ceases to be generosity and becomes extortion when you use that reasoning.

Because of that, and my own personal issues with this addon, I will adopt Nixxia's stance until Blizzard comes up with a more workable solution. Have a pleasant day boys and girls, and as Bill and Ted would say: "Be excellent to eachother". :-)
I don't see the problem with the addon, if i can help someone get an upgrade, why not? Are you so starved for gold?

Literally the only scenario i could see it being an issue is if you're an enchanter in a regular Mythic run but even then, i'd just trade it. Crystals aren't that hard to come by.

I'm not particularly the most altruistic person either, i guess helping others just make me feel better about myself.
So what??? unless they ask personally they want the item i would''nt bother giving them via an addon

I get threatened/ kicked oh cool, ill just disinfectant the gear then.

Its in my bag not yours deal with it