Addon PLH: Used to Demand people's Loot?

General Discussion
Prev 1 19 20 21 81 Next
I use the system as it helps me figure out who could use it. But as other have said, if you come at me wrong, I'll hold onto the loot. I'm a tank, so I can re-queue as much as I like!!
The easiest way to counter this addon is simply don't loot bosses.

Boss loot gets mailed, trash loot is BoP.

Don't loot bosses, loot mailboxes.
Not a fan of the addon. It's no ones business whether i need the loot or not. If you want it, you can ask me for it. Odds are I will give it away. I rather help someone get gear than sell it for a measly 20g.

BUT, if you act like an entitled little !@#$ and demand it, then sorry mate, I'd rather junk it for 20 gold thank give it to your spoiled %^-.
10/24/2016 07:17 AMPosted by Shadowblazer
I mean...when I am leading a group, if I see that spam come up I just kick them no questions asked. I do not support forced communism and neither should blizzard with that addon turning people into entitled communists.

Because notifying somebody something is usable by another PERSON who would be grateful to receive an upgrade is communism? What are you even on about?

They won't get all your gold and achievements from this addon, i promise you that.
10/24/2016 06:38 AMPosted by Umarosa
I was playing my DH and PLH helped me get a pair of 670 gloves from a rogue that didn't need them, then I got a 855 helm that the rogue needed that I didn't, and I was happy to pay his generosity forward. Be nice and happy to people, you never know what'll happen.

How can this be downvoted? A win win situation. Are the people left in this game really so selfish a little bit of text makes them this spiteful? That is beyond sad.

This is like the modern sjw movement type stuff. "Did you just have a line of text pop up on my chat log that is constantly being spammed regardless? I take offense to this."
Mountains out of a mole hill. I've probably done more content this expansion than most of GD and I've never seen anything close to abuse for not trading. All I ever see is "hey X do you need Y item?" and then either a trade happens or they say no and we move on.

It's a tool, there's nothing wrong with it, the only problems can come from how people use it. I see it as useful, I am quite geared so I like to know who can use the piece of 865 loot I just got.
I would rather let the item sit in my bags collecting dust than give it to some entitled brat cause it has no use to me because an add-on said so. Maybe I'm holding it to change profs someday. Like enchanting. Not everything has to be given to you.
10/24/2016 08:05 AMPosted by Kuranna
10/24/2016 07:57 AMPosted by Sapgasm

Release notes says the option is off by default, and even in the comments, Madone is seen as saying, make sure it's on, otherwise people won't see the notification. And only ONE person needs it on, or you risk running into other people with the option on, and all spam will break loose.

Only the most recent release is like this, older versions still publicly announce by default.

Since many people don't update their addons frequently outside of them breaking due to patch updates or being nagged by the addons themselves, you can expect to see this continuing for the foreseeable future (unless there are major changes to the addon API in 7.1)

At which point, a friendly reminder to update their addon settings might be in order. "NotifyGroupLabel:SetText('Notify Group (automatically turned off in LFR)'" has been code since Oct 15th's version of the mod. Oct 16th's version already has over 44k in downloads, falling only 10k short of its predecessor.

While you have a valid concern on that point, I'm sure many people will adjust their behavior and update it, if informed nicely, especially if they are concerned about community values, such as loot disbursements.
I saw this in play last week when running LFR. I can get why they have a system like that, but I am not a fan of it. Especially when it spams LFR chat to announce who would be benefited from the drop.

I know my gear is over the 835 ilvl drops, but I'm going through LFR for transmog purposes (I like the colors better through LFR than normal+). However, if I get a drop that is the same appearance, then yes, I will happily announce it myself that first come first serve if they need that item. If people come at me when I haven't collected that appearance yet, then no I will not trade it to them.

LFR is already nasty enough with behavior, this addon tends to make it worse, in my opinion.
10/24/2016 08:22 AMPosted by Bags
Mountains out of a mole hill. I've probably done more content this expansion than most of GD and I've never seen anything close to abuse for not trading. All I ever see is "hey X do you need Y item?" and then either a trade happens or they say no and we move on.

It's a tool, there's nothing wrong with it, the only problems can come from how people use it. I see it as useful, I am quite geared so I like to know who can use the piece of 865 loot I just got.

I would repeat this too. I've ran a LOT of Heroics, Mythics from 0-7 keystones, PuG raids, and I've never ran into an issue.

I use the addon - because it is a quick and simple way to see if someone could use something as an upgrade. It gets announced, someone says "Hey do you need this?" Quick "Yes/No" - and a trade happens.

I have literally NEVER witnessed this entitlement type attitude everyone is talking about.
10/24/2016 08:33 AMPosted by Sapgasm
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Only the most recent release is like this, older versions still publicly announce by default.

Since many people don't update their addons frequently outside of them breaking due to patch updates or being nagged by the addons themselves, you can expect to see this continuing for the foreseeable future (unless there are major changes to the addon API in 7.1)

At which point, a friendly reminder to update their addon settings might be in order. "NotifyGroupLabel:SetText('Notify Group (automatically turned off in LFR)'" has been code since Oct 15th's version of the mod. Oct 16th's version already has over 44k in downloads, falling only 10k short of its predecessor.

While you have a valid concern on that point, I'm sure many people will adjust their behavior and update it, if informed nicely, especially if they are concerned about community values, such as loot disbursements.

If the code isn't there in the addon to send the notice, then it isn't going to be sent. I imagine most addons don't use it.

Even then, the people running the addon who are benefiting from shaming people into handing over loot aren't exactly going to be rushing to install a version with instance notifications disabled, are they?
IMHO this addon should NOT have a broadcast option.

You use the addon and you give away the loot you got to whoever the addons lists.

As with anything it can be abused.
My favorite thing to do is to ask if anyone wants the item that just dropped, and then if they say yes, I just ignore them for the rest of the instance. Serves them right for not being of any use to me.
10/23/2016 04:04 PMPosted by Ilius
Because of this I've seen several situations where people (such as enchanters) might want to hold on to the loot they legitimately won

You'd rather disenchant something rather than give someone a legitimate upgrade? If you're that selfish just ask them to pay the 100g you might have got from disenchanting it.

I run the addon and anytime I get something that's an upgrade for someone I just hand it over, no questions asked. People always appreciate it. If disenchanting something is worth more to you than helping someone out that says more about you than anything.

ITT incredibly selfish people... wow.
There is an option in the add-on to turn off the broadcast to any chat and notify only you. I use that every time and share the gear to needy! Cheers
10/24/2016 08:55 AMPosted by Brockthorn
IMHO this addon should NOT have a broadcast option.

You use the addon and you give away the loot you got to whoever the addons lists.

As with anything it can be abused.

I believe it has an option to not broadcast to your party, but I don't think it's enabled by default, according to a guildmate.

It works great in guild groups. I can see it being annoying in pugs, but tbh I don't even look at the chat box when I'm doing pugs like LFR/Heroics, so I won't even see it.

I haven't gotten angry whispers yet but maybe my RNG is that bad. I have traded out and received pieces from friendly players without either of us asking and no addon notification that I saw.
10/24/2016 07:06 AMPosted by Illaandra

Yeah, you will never see those other people again, right? Screw them! Other players matter a lot less than your precious professions.

It's not my obligation to gear random people that I have a very, very small chance of seeing again. If I'm in a Mythic or LFR, I'm effectively losing 1200g to give someone a purple item.

If I get a piece and I don't want to give it to you, suck it up and run again. Not your place to demand anything I rightfully won.

If you're civil, I'll probably give it to you. If you're not, you're on your own.

Chaos crystals aren't 1200 anymore on my server, more like 850 gold now.
One main problem too is it only bases it on ilevel and since secondaries are so important, a lower ilevel may actually be an upgrade for someone if it has far better stats. This isn't even taking in I may be an enchanter and I need mats or that I've given it to a friend because they need it.

The add on is great for full group raids and dungeons where we are very keen on making sure we are geared up.
I can't believe this is an issue. The GD forum can be so greedy and toxic it can be sickening. This is just an add-on that informs the group if your drop is an upgrade for somebody, and the major problem everybody has is it puts you on the spotlight for how greedy you are?! If your that much of greedy person then I would think you wouldn't care what others though of you. Just keep the drop.

I've given away numerous drops and received numerous drops because of this add-on, I've only ever seen positive things resulting from this add-on, then I come to GD and a post asking to break it has over 100 upvotes??? That's just wrong. Keep your shards or your dust idgaf, if you're that greedy I don't want anything from you anyway, but don't try to break an add-on that brings good to the community so you can hide your selfish nature from the world.
LFR gear is an upgrade for people? lol