My WoWhead virus 10/6/2016 ???

General Discussion
I have read numerous posts dating back to early in the 20teens or so and people have been getting supposed viruses from the fansite WoWhead. I noticed when logging in to the game on several occasions that they recommend going to fansites and I also think wowhead was mentioned in particular. I have in the past noticed that Malwarebytes has blocked content from the site but yesterday I got hit with this Trojan virus (rootkit.fileless.MTgen file) I had just been on wowhead and ONLY wowhead and was hit with this. McAfee caught it first, followed by Malwarebytes and then hitmanpro. Each program was able to remove bits of both parts of the virus. I am glad that I keep them updated and constantly running! :)

I also know that people always post that this is not a blizzard run site but in all fairness, if they are pointing us in that direction, there should be at the very least a warning or something. I am not putting the blame on anyone but just want to let people know of the possibility when going there and the fact that it was recent. One day ago and active virus activity. That you are vulnerable.

Now my question, are others having this problem with this particular fan site?

Thanks for your time and have with the post what you will...just a relative fact in this current world of fact less proclamations.

Saugeil
It's probably due to the ads they run on the site. Nothing nefarious intended, but the advertisements at times seem to try to infect computers with viruses. They probably should try to switch advertisers when they are notified of the problem.

And I like to apologize to wowhead. I know you need ad revenue to operate, but the fact that your site sometimes display an advertisement that may infect your user base with a virus is the precise reason why I use adblock software.
10/07/2016 11:39 AMPosted by Felarwen
And I like to apologize to wowhead. I know you need ad revenue to operate, but the fact that your site sometimes display an advertisement that may infect your user base with a virus is the precise reason why I use adblock software.

Yep.
10/07/2016 11:33 AMPosted by Saugeil
Now my question, are others having this problem with this particular fan site?

Everyone is going to have problems with every fan site. Malware is mostly embedded in ads, and gaming sites are high on hackers' lists. Ad blocking software can help, but sometimes just blocks you from seeing the ad, rather than actually preventing the ad and malware from loading.

The sad truth is, even with the best security you can find, you will still be vulnerable. If you're on gaming sites, you're going to get malware. Try to get internet security with live tech support, but be aware even they can't catch everything.

It's getting so bad you practically have to be a computer tech just to keep your computer running.
They have an atrocious ad policy.

They have enough of a user base that they can afford to be more selective with what they allow.
I keep adblock/flashblock up for that particular reason. Nothing against ads, but my computer is more important to me than your website.
Chrome and adblock - you're welcome.
My adblock is always up from day one that I installed it I never disabled it.

Nothing happened yet. Sorry to the other sites that actually help me from time to time. But like someone said my computer worths waaaaay more than your business.
How ironic is it the shady advertising causes consumers to install adblock and get rid of all advertising. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot....
Wowhead has been out there long enough for everyone to see that it is not a fly-by-night site. Many use it daily. Eventually I hope the community comes to a place where they understand that if a site enriches their gaming experience, then they should support the site.

If you wish to support the site through adverts - then make sure your anti-virus is kept up-to-date and you are running malwarebytes concurrently.

If you wish to not see or deal with adverts, or the risk of infection - it's 5 bucks per month for a handy service. 30 per year lowers it to 2.50 a month.

Support fan sites when you can.
UblockOrigin is better than AdBlock. I thought I recently read that AdBlock is now letting people pay them to not block their adds.
10/07/2016 11:53 AMPosted by Imâge
UblockOrigin is better than AdBlock. I thought I recently read that AdBlock is now letting people pay them to not block their adds.

Maybe it is..I don't know; it doesn't have enough people evaluating it yet. Adblock has been tested by hundreds of thousands of people and I've personally used it for years. It still works just fine for me and lets me control what I want and don't want to see.

I only recommend what I can personally vouch for when it comes to software.
Use Google Chrome and AdBlock.

For antivirus, use Avast Antivirus Free Edition.
People already said it but the ads can easily give viruses.

It's not WoWhead intentionally doing it either. Most sites have to trust a ad company to keep their ads virus free, but some 'advertisers' manage to sneakily slip a virus in a ad sometimes.

This is why I use adblock. I'd be willing to stop using adblock to help support sites if their ads stopped giving me viruses every now and then but so far it hasn't changed.
Or how about ...

They buy out wowhead .. and offer the information that wowhead does on the main website for blizzard?

Considering that wowhead does what the wow site SHOULD do, but doesn't.

Just a thought.
Get adblock. Enjoy wowhead. If you still use the Internet without adblock, you're practically begging for a virus.
Yea so it was discovered that people were getting some nasty stuff from Flash advertisements.

This led Google to very quickly remove Flash from all of its advertisements.

Basically, if you want to give people viruses, find a site that still provides Flash advertisements and buy some advertisement space. You don't guarantee that everybody gets it, but you are guaranteed that a lot of people are going to receive an attack (though not always a successful one).

Adblock blocks these.

The creators of Flash have conceded that there exists a vulnerability in its use, but will make no attempt to fix it.
10/07/2016 11:39 AMPosted by Felarwen
Same here, but my reason for installing Adblock was that Wowhead has SO MANY flash ads that just using the site would crash my browser. When your ads are preventing users from accessing content - you've gone too far.
always use adblock and no script with wowhead. Never trust them.
Used adblock for years until they started letting "selective" advertising through. Switched to uBlock Origin and haven't looked back.