Why is there loot entitlement in pugs?

General Discussion
1 2 3 22 Next
Did a few mythics this morning to pass the time and pray to the legendary gods when I had a group kick me because I wouldn't give up my item drop.

"Your [insert item here] is higher ilvl than [insert dropped item here]. It's a huge upgrade for me so hand it over [opens trade window]"

The item [1] pays for my repair bill [2] adds a transmog to my library [3] could still be an upgrade based on secondary stats. When I refused to trade it the other people started complaining as well about it and demanded I give the item away.

I stood my ground and was kicked from the group because of it. This isn't the first time someone's wanted an item drop from me but usually people just pout and let it go.

Why is it expected now for you to give away your loot to complete strangers? What's the proper response when someone makes a demand and backs it up with threats to kick you?
Just take the kick and ignore idiots like that, they're self entitled whiners who think everyone owes them. The addon makes it worse but blizz can't break it or it'd break legitimate addons as well (such as the transmog based ones).

Your loot is your loot, anyone who tells you differently is an entitled brat honestly. If you want to give stuff away, that is your choice, if you don't, again it's your choice. Personal loot, something that everyone clamoured for last expansion is just that... personal.
That is weird, when I ask if I can have drops, and somebody says no, I simply move on.

That being said, you should be getting plenty of gold from world quests and Class hall missions, so vendor trash is a bad reason to not pass out an upgrade. Transmog however is completely understandable. (especially if its your class tier)

At the end of the day though, It's your loot. You should totally make friends with an enchanter so you can pass your "extra" loot over to them, and SHARD IT IN THE LOOT BEGGERS FACE.
TL;DR story is fake, no one got kicked and no one can supply evidence proving otherwise. 21 pages of people arguing where or not people should or shouldnt be kicked over this, and which group of people are the bigger dicks and whether or not the addon should be broken.

Screenshot or it didn't happen.
Challenge:

One person post a screenshot of a
variation of this general conversation
happening and refusing, resulting in a kick.

OPs story is blatantly false and just a story to try to convince Blizz to break a stupid spammy addon. Not a single random nobody in LFG cares enough about some other single random nobody to kick someone over not giving their loot to another random nobody.

Downvote some more please, thanks.

Edit1: People get angry when you ask for proof lmfao
Edit2: 10 pages, still no proof this is happening.
Edit 3: 16 pages, TL;DR people arguing over whether it should or shouldn't happen, but still zero evidence this fantasy kick has ever happened even once. The fact it's HIGHLY spammy is all the reason you need to make a case for it to be broken, you don't need to make up BS fake stories about getting kicked over it.
Edit4: 17 pages, still zero evidence, unsurprising.
Edit5: 18 pages now, still zero evidence. Shocking, I tell you. I am truly stunned by this turn of events.
Edit6: 21 page. Guess what? Still no one stepping up to the plate to prove this has happened. OP remains full of it. They never got kicked, reality hurts I suppose.

Biggest development is we are currently up to 136 downvotes! Stay with me here for the latest breaking developments in the continuing saga of "there is no evidence this is happening and the OP is spouting hogwash" story! More at 11!

PS try to remember that clicking downvote doesn't make this fantasy tale any less fake.
I think part of it is because people don't realize you'll do better asking someone nicely for loot than rudely demanding they hand it over.
when ever i get asked to hand over loot i stand infront of them and d/e it and tell them i d/e all usless loot for my enchanting lol sorrynotsorry
Both parties could have budged, and from the sound of it, neither party is completely innocent.

While it's your right to keep your loot, don't be surprised when people see it as douchey for you to keep something that would benifit another player, when your equipped item is already higher ilvl. If it really comes down the the secondary stats were so superior to make up for the lower item level, then by all means keep it.

There needs to more considerate and respectful players on both ends. Ultimately, they shouldn't be demanding items from you, but at the same time, insisting on holding onto an item just for a repair bill cost is pretty lame too.
11/06/2016 10:52 AMPosted by Strife
insisting on holding onto an item just for a repair bill cost is pretty lame too.

He also mentioned that it could be a transmog he wanted to add to his library or that it would be a better itemised piece of gear. Some pieces of slightly lower Ilevel have better stats. For example if I had a haste /vers neck at 860 and an 855 crit / mastery neck dropped for me, I would swap instantly as crit / mastery are better stats for a feral.

I believe this is what the OP is getting at.
Honestly the few times I have agreed to be nice and trade the item away, I've told them I'll do it at the end of the dungeon and everyone always leaves immediately and forgets about the item they apparently reaaaallyyyyy needed
Both parties could have budged, and from the sound of it, neither party is completely innocent.

While it's your right to keep your loot, don't be surprised when people see it as douchey for you to keep something that would benifit another player, when your equipped item is already higher ilvl. If it really comes down the the secondary stats were so superior to make up for the lower item level, then by all means keep it.

There needs to more considerate and respectful players on both ends. Ultimately, they shouldn't be demanding items from you, but at the same time, insisting on holding onto an item just for a repair bill cost is pretty lame too.

It was his. That's the end of it.
Just don't loot bosses in pugs. The game will send anything you won to you in the mail. Nobody will notice if you didn't loot, they'll just assume you didn't get anything.
<satan>
I am typically willing to give up an item if its an upgrade for someone else. However if they call me out on it before politely asking a pst. I will disenchant it, followed by "OMG! I am so sorry I was looking at bags and didn't see chat". </satan>
This is why I wish pugs still had the ability to use Master Looter, that way you knew exactly what you were getting into. And if it was personal it was personal.
It would be very selfish to keep the item if all you are getting out of it is a few gold from a vendor. It's sometimes pretty obvious that an item is not useful. I'd boot you in a heartbeat for being selfish. You are only getting loot from the mythic because the other players are there along with you. It's a team effort. Sometimes you have to give something back to the team, especially when the cost to you is inconsequential.
tis the age of entitlement.

my gear is mine
your gear is mine

11/06/2016 10:40 AMPosted by Hunterp
What's the proper response when someone makes a demand and backs it up with threats to kick you?

just leave before they can kick. Thats what I do. Its a game people play for fun. If someone wants to be a jerk off then I just leave straight away. I dont have to put up with their !@#$ty attitude
11/06/2016 10:55 AMPosted by Waraila
insisting on holding onto an item just for a repair bill cost is pretty lame too.

He also mentioned that it could be a transmog he wanted to add to his library or that it would be a better itemised piece of gear. Some pieces of slightly lower Ilevel have better stats. For example if I had a haste /vers neck at 860 and an 855 crit / mastery neck dropped for me, I would swap instantly as crit / mastery are better stats for a feral.

I believe this is what the OP is getting at.

Like I said, if it really was an improvement despite being a lower ilvl, then keep it. As far as the transmog point, I noticed that as soon as I pick up a new item, I get pink text telling me that item has been added to my transmog inventory. That's without even equipping it. Unless I'm being mislead by that statement, you can give the item away, and keep the transmog.
You joined with strangers and your personality doesnt want to share things with strangers, the strangers are against that mentality and you got kicked because it was their rules.

What else needs to be explained?
Did a few mythics this morning to pass the time and pray to the legendary gods when I had a group kick me because I wouldn't give up my item drop.

"Your [insert item here] is higher ilvl than [insert dropped item here]. It's a huge upgrade for me so hand it over [opens trade window]"

The item [1] pays for my repair bill [2] adds a transmog to my library [3] could still be an upgrade based on secondary stats. When I refused to trade it the other people started complaining as well about it and demanded I give the item away.

I stood my ground and was kicked from the group because of it. This isn't the first time someone's wanted an item drop from me but usually people just pout and let it go.

Why is it expected now for you to give away your loot to complete strangers? What's the proper response when someone makes a demand and backs it up with threats to kick you?

Do not loot the boss is the answer. Your stuff will get mailed to you.

Like I said, if it really was an improvement despite being a lower ilvl, then keep it. As far as the transmog point, I noticed that as soon as I pick up a new item, I get pink text telling me that item has been added to my transmog inventory. That's without even equipping it. Unless I'm being mislead by that statement, you can give the item away, and keep the transmog.

That's only for soul bound. BOE must be equipped for it to be added to your appearances.
11/06/2016 11:09 AMPosted by Strife

transmorg isnt 'locked in' until the trade timer has depleted so if you trade the item to another person or back to the vendor for a full refund (buying with tokens from pvp or raids) then it is removed.

All of this was explained in detail before the system went live and I think there is still a sticky on the forums explaining it