Why is there loot entitlement in pugs?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 22 Next
11/06/2016 10:40 AMPosted by Hunterp
Did a few mythics this morning to pass the time and pray to the legendary gods when I had a group kick me because I wouldn't give up my item drop.

"Your [insert item here] is higher ilvl than [insert dropped item here]. It's a huge upgrade for me so hand it over [opens trade window]"

The item [1] pays for my repair bill [2] adds a transmog to my library [3] could still be an upgrade based on secondary stats. When I refused to trade it the other people started complaining as well about it and demanded I give the item away.

I stood my ground and was kicked from the group because of it. This isn't the first time someone's wanted an item drop from me but usually people just pout and let it go.

Why is it expected now for you to give away your loot to complete strangers? What's the proper response when someone makes a demand and backs it up with threats to kick you?

Because in the past you never would have received this loot because you would have greeded it because it isn't an upgrade.
First, before you assume I'm a greedy jerk, I always give loot I don't need to people that need it. Always. Even total strangers in PUGs. But I do it because I want to, not because I'm being forced to.

That being said...I really don't get the begging. I acquired every single piece of my gear without asking anyone for their gear. And yes, I'm in a guild and I run with guildies, but I transferred to the server not knowing anyone and I made it an effort to join a guild and build rapport. I didn't expect total strangers to give me free loot. Ergo, I don't understand the "gimme that I deserve it" mentality.
What happened to the OP happens more than many people probably realize. I like the addon and use it myself but have it set to only show for me, not announce to the group. That way if I do get something that's an upgrade for someone and not me, I can trade it. However, I did get a ring in a pug heroic group that was a nice upgrade for me and still had multiple people /w me asking for it. I stated it was an upgrade for me and since it was the end of the run, left the group. I had already given away every piece of gear I won during the raid and wanted to keep the ring and trinket. One person even went so far as to continue whispering me after I left, demanding that I roll for the item that I won. *Kids these days.*
The item [1] pays for my repair bill

Oh come on now, gold isn't that hard to come by.

[2] adds a transmog to my library

I agree if you like the item and think you might possibly want to use it in any way shape or form you should keep it. Maybe if it's a really nice WF/TF item and it's a big upgrade to the guy you could be nice and give it away anyways, but I agree with this sentiment if you feel you may actually want the item.

[3] could still be an upgrade based on secondary stats.

And if it is then it's yours and you should explain that to them.

The addon is cancer as far as I'm concerned and should be broken.

What's the proper response when someone makes a demand and backs it up with threats to kick you?

A logical reason as to why you want to keep it. People will (likely) accept it if you explain that it's an upgrade despite the ilevel downgrade. People may accept if you claim transmog, but very few people will explain that you need it for repairs/gold.
Your situation is a weird one. Its your loot, you can choose to do whatever you want with it, but the group can ask if you can give it to someone who needs it, granted you can say no and they cant complain. I think a reason they got upset about it is that for many people, mythic gear is an upgrade, so for you to get an item that is an upgrade for someone else and not giving it to them annoys them. I had a situation where a guy got ring that was 35 ilvl higher than the one I had, and I wasn't happy that he said no, but I saw no need to get upset, though my ring slots were the last slots I got 845+ gear on so it would have helped.

Another issue, which sounds harsh, is that its not your group. Its a dumb argument, and its used against people having issues getting INTO groups, but that's the nature of the beast. If the group leader and 3 other people saw fit to kick you, then that's what happens. People get kicked for dumb reasons like that too anyway, so im not surprised
[1] pays for my repair bill [2] adds a transmog to my library [3] could still be an upgrade based on secondary stats.

1. trash excuse
2. Trash excuse
3. Valid excuse, and you could have easily used that one.
First, before you assume I'm a greedy jerk, I always give loot I don't need to people that need it. Always. Even total strangers in PUGs. But I do it because I want to, not because I'm being forced to.

That being said...I really don't get the begging. I acquired every single piece of my gear without asking anyone for their gear. And yes, I'm in a guild and I run with guildies, but I transferred to the server not knowing anyone and I made it an effort to join a guild and build rapport. I didn't expect total strangers to give me free loot. Ergo, I don't understand the "gimme that I deserve it" mentality.

Looting in pugs has always been an issue but it's worse now with that addon.
seems to justify demanding someone else's loot.
You know what, even when I had to still pug mythics and such it was so nice knowing I was never so poor or selfish I even had to consider keeping loot that was an upgrade for someones main spec, for, of all things, some pittance of gold or a transmog. My first response when this would happen to me was always "Hey who needs this?"

Like, without question or hesitation.

Yes, I question the real life personality of people like the OP. I sure as hell wouldn't trust them.

I bet none.... NONE of these people would do this if it was a group of guild members or real life friends that needed an upgrade. They just do it because of the anonymity of it all and being a selfish dweeb to strangers come with ease in this game.
11/06/2016 01:42 PMPosted by Blackguarde
You know what, even when I had to still pug mythics and such it was so nice knowing I was never so poor or selfish I even had to consider keeping loot that was an upgrade for someones main spec, for, of all things, some pittance of gold or a transmog. My first response when this would happen to me was always "Hey who needs this?"

Like, without question or hesitation.

Yes, I question the real life personality of people like the OP. I sure as hell wouldn't trust them.

I bet none.... NONE of these people would do this if it was a group of guild members or real life friends that needed an upgrade. They just do it because of the anonymity of it all and being a selfish dweeb to strangers come with ease in this game.

Especially when in ANY OTHER EXPAC you never would have received this loot that you don't need when other do (WTB old need b4 greed)

Any other point in WoW's history you only got gear for gold when nobody else needed it.

To the people who ask about enchanting mats/repair bills i have one question.

How did you get them in any other WoW xpac? Did you need roll on everything?
Here's the ugly truth: If you're a DPS you just have to give the item up. At least then you get to play. They can get another DPS in a thin second. You don't matter. There's even a case that you should feel lucky you got that item they want to give to them and justify your spot in the group.

If you're not a DPS, however, they'd only be hurting themselves by kicking you.

11/06/2016 11:10 AMPosted by Xyona
You joined with strangers and your personality doesnt want to share things with strangers, the strangers are against that mentality and you got kicked because it was their rules.

What else needs to be explained?

'Tis true. There is no such thing as an unjustified kick. The group wanted it, so it got done. This isn't a well moderated game, and that's by design. The toxic community is allowed to moderate.

In another game, those people would be banned for ransoming the group spot for his loot. But they'd also be banned for going around in groups of four just to harass and kick people, which is very common these days. There's any amount of abusive kicking that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else, but this is WoW, and abuse is not against the rules if you use the tools the game gives you to do it.
11/06/2016 01:49 PMPosted by Mattr

Especially when in ANY OTHER EXPAC you never would have received this loot that you don't need when other do (WTB old need b4 greed)

Any other point in WoW's history you only got gear for gold when nobody else needed it.

But everyone was rolling "need".
Let them kick you.

They still won't get your item and they have to find someone to join mid-run.

Advantage: You
11/06/2016 01:52 PMPosted by Brockthorn
11/06/2016 01:49 PMPosted by Mattr

Really? I've never experienced 'everyone needing everything'.

Sometimes one idiot does it and either gets kicked or ignored because nobody cares about the loot anyway, but everybody?

In fact if there was an enchanter most gear was d/e'd through the greed disenchanting button (not possible if 'everyone rolls need')
11/06/2016 12:42 PMPosted by Snowfox
11/06/2016 12:41 PMPosted by Starrgazer

Actually, it was spoken more like a logical, considerate person. Not like someone who thinks a 50g vendor purple is worth this sort of whining.

Honestly, the people who just absolutely refuse to share their loot "on principle" remind me of the obnoxious morons who would roll on EVERYTHING back before personal loot, no matter how much someone else needed it.

There's a big difference between:

A) "hey can I please have that? It's a big upgrade for me."

and

B) "Give me that item or I'll have the group kick you."

If you can't see the difference, maybe you aren't grasping the subtleties of this discussion.

Unless you've got copies of chat logs I don't have, I find it pretty hard to believe someone opened the discussion with "give me the loot or you're gone."

I have never ONCE had that happen. I have, however, had a pug in a guild run of normal EN absolutely refuse to share a drop and openly state he'd rather vendor it than share something he didn't need. And, yeah. We kicked him. Because that's a pretty obnoxious way to operate.

Do you REALLY believe that they just started out with "all your loot is mine"? That's ridiculous.
If it isn't an upgrade for my main spec or an off spec then I'll give it to you if you ask, I might even offer it. If I am on my enchanter then I will DE it immediately because I need it for the mats. If I'm not on my enchanter and you demand the item and get ugly then I'll keep it no matter what. It's just that simple. The item is mine not yours, it is not your decision what is done with it. You are entitled to nothing.
11/06/2016 01:52 PMPosted by Sniperstrike
Let them kick you.

They still won't get your item and they have to find someone to join mid-run.

Advantage: You

Not if he's a DPS.
11/06/2016 01:53 PMPosted by Mattr
11/06/2016 01:52 PMPosted by Brockthorn

Sometimes one idiot does it and either gets kicked or ignored because nobody cares about the loot anyway, but everybody?

In fact if there was an enchanter most gear was d/e'd through the greed disenchanting button (not possible if 'everyone rolls need')

Really? You never once had anyone ninja something that you needed just because they wanted to be an !@# about it?

Why do you think they implemented personal loot in the first place? Lol
11/06/2016 01:58 PMPosted by Strattasong
If it isn't an upgrade for my main spec or an off spec then I'll give it to you if you ask, I might even offer it. If I am on my enchanter then I will DE it immediately because I need it for the mats. If I'm not on my enchanter and you demand the item and get ugly then I'll keep it no matter what. It's just that simple. The item is mine not yours, it is not your decision what is done with it. You are entitled to nothing.

To me this is the equivalent of rolling need on everything in a previous xpac, and that was not something that was ok.

This is why personal loot sucks, this is the first time you could roll need on everything and feel good about yourself.
11/06/2016 01:59 PMPosted by Starrgazer
11/06/2016 01:53 PMPosted by Mattr

Really? You never once had anyone ninja something that you needed just because they wanted to be an !@# about it?

Why do you think they implemented personal loot in the first place? Lol

Are you trolling? Did you even read my post or the post i replied to?
make your own grp