Why is there loot entitlement in pugs?

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 22 Next

Except the # of PL pieces is identical to the classic loot system. Instead of 3 pieces of loot dropping and those that need it roll, 3 pieces of loot drop and 3 random people receive it.

PL is the physical equivalent of old system with round robin + add drops only be loot someone in the grp can equip.

Citation needed.

Not to mention that the fact remains that the loot BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE IT DROPPED FOR and no one else.

Seriously. It's scary how you think.

It's scary how you think how you don't think. He isn't saying anything strange or bizarre. You're just being dense and rude.
11/06/2016 02:24 PMPosted by Mattr
I see quite a few responses talking about why trading Loot makes you a good team player.

What does this have to do with anything? The moment anyone in the group adopts the mindset of "give me what I want or else" it's *that* person who has ceased to be a team player.

Which leads to another question. Why are so many of you defending players who outright demand that another player surrender an item that belongs to the player it dropped for? What entitles anyone at any time to demand possession of someone else's stuff?

Because you shouldn't have gotten it. If blizzard used round robin in groups instead of need before greed i don't think anyone would be praising people getting to keep loot they don't need as a good system.

Irrelevant.

The system that's in place is the system that's in place. Every person gets their own individual Loot roll. It cannot get any fairer then that.

Unless, of course, you decide that every piece of loot that drops is yours to demand. It isn't.

The problem is some people, despite going on and on about not being greedy and being a team player, ultimately only see their team mates as additional dice rolls for the gear they themselves want.
11/06/2016 02:29 PMPosted by Mattr

no it's not

players aren't rolling against each other for loot. The game rolls for each person indivdiually. in a PL setting, me winning an item in no way affects you winning an item.

Personal loot is loot that goes into my bags and is 100% up to me to determine what to do with. It is not loot that goes into my bags but really belogs to everyone and will be loot councilled out.

Except the # of PL pieces is identical to the classic loot system. Instead of 3 pieces of loot dropping and those that need it roll, 3 pieces of loot drop and 3 random people receive it.

PL is the equivalent of the old system with everyone auto need rolling + add drops only be loot someone in the grp can equip.

Not true, ive seen plenty of boss kills in mythic dungeons that didn't drop a piece of gear for anybody.
The old system a boss always dropped at least 1 piece of gear that everybody rolled on.
11/06/2016 02:32 PMPosted by Mattr
Citation needed.

Not to mention that the fact remains that the loot BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE IT DROPPED FOR and no one else.

Seriously. It's scary how you think.

Sure and if i roll need on something i dont need and win the rng roll it belongs to me. That doesn't make me a good person.

The ADDON doesn't promote good people. It promots !@#$%^-s feeling they deserve the loot u got cause text said so.
If someone asks nicely if they can have something that dropped for me I'll usually say yes. Usually I'll stop, link it, and ask if anyone needs it. But if they have an addon that blurts it out and demands I hand it over I disenchant it. I don't make excuses like I need the chaos crystal either, I just disenchant it.

PL is the equivalent of the old system with everyone auto need rolling + add drops only be loot someone in the grp can equip.

Not true, ive seen plenty of boss kills in mythic dungeons that didn't drop a piece of gear for anybody.
The old system a boss always dropped at least 1 piece of gear that everybody rolled on.

Wrong.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Loot#Personal_Loot
the server chooses a number of players (based on group size) and awards them a random item for their spec
The bottom line is there is a community expectation that you'll give up loot you don't need to someone who needs it. That expectation has existed in wow since the very beginning. You can moan and whine and stomp your feet talking about how it is yours and you really need that 60 gold, but if you violate social norms you face social punishment (like being booted out of a group activity).

Just for the record though, being nice about it and saying "May I have that please" is going to get your further. Ultimately, you can vendor or disenchant until you're blue in the face, nothing anyone can do about it except boot you. These are the choices you make.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Because you shouldn't have gotten it. If blizzard used round robin in groups instead of need before greed i don't think anyone would be praising people getting to keep loot they don't need as a good system.

Irrelevant.

The system that's in place is the system that's in place. Every person gets their own individual Loot roll. It cannot get any fairer then that.

Unless, of course, you decide that every piece of loot that drops is yours to demand. It isn't.

The problem is some people, despite going on and on about not being greedy and being a team player, ultimately only see their team mates as additional dice rolls for the gear they themselves want.

The point is with PL keeping loot other people need is the equivalent of rolling need on everything. Yes you are entitled to it, but it still makes you an %^&hole.

No it's not. Where are you getting your information from ?
11/06/2016 10:46 AMPosted by Supertom
That is weird, when I ask if I can have drops, and somebody says no, I simply move on.

That being said, you should be getting plenty of gold from world quests and Class hall missions, so vendor trash is a bad reason to not pass out an upgrade. Transmog however is completely understandable. (especially if its your class tier)

At the end of the day though, It's your loot. You should totally make friends with an enchanter so you can pass your "extra" loot over to them, and SHARD IT IN THE LOOT BEGGERS FACE.

It's a mog for him and they aren't his friends or people he'll interact with in the future. Good enough reasons right there. Hell its good enough reason that its his loot whether he just vendors it or trashes it.

I myself normally give items to folks if its not a mog and I don't need it. But thats me, noones required to give anything away though.
11/06/2016 02:37 PMPosted by Brockthorn

No it's not. Where are you getting your information from ?

Effectively it is. The outcome of PL and not trading is the same as everyone needing on an item that only some or none of the grp needs.
11/06/2016 02:36 PMPosted by Dáríus
The bottom line is there is a community expectation that you'll give up loot you don't need to someone who needs it. That expectation has existed in wow since the very beginning. You can moan and whine and stomp your feet talking about how it is yours and you really need that 60 gold, but if you violate social norms you face social punishment (like being booted out of a group activity).

Except the idea of grading loot off a ilvl so harshly wasn't till legion when personal loot took over. Even though ilvl does not mean everything yet this addon promotes it does
11/06/2016 02:36 PMPosted by Mattr

Wrong.

the server chooses a number of players (based on group size) and awards them a random item for their spec

You do realize this thread was about somebody doing dungeons right? not raids

Since when is demanding and threatening the "social norm" ?
Is that what wow pugs have become now ?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Wrong.

You do realize this thread was about somebody doing dungeons right? not raids

You do know that the personal loot in dungeons is the same as the one in raids right? And that the keep it for the shard mentality exists there too. They took the PL system of raid finder and forced it on EVERYTHING (except guild raids).
11/06/2016 02:39 PMPosted by Marahas

Except the idea of grading loot off a ilvl so harshly wasn't till legion when personal loot took over. Even though ilvl does not mean everything yet this addon promotes it does

In some cases ilvl of an items means NOTHING as the secondary stats of a lower item would be better for you.

My hunter at ilvl 852 is still wearing an 830 ring because of the 1023 Mastery on it.
11/06/2016 02:39 PMPosted by Marahas

No, I'm totally with you on that. I don't like the addon at all, I find it annoying and I make people turn it off in my raids. I'm just talking about the general principle of "if you won't use it as a piece of gear, then give it to someone else.".
If you win the lottery and some random dude comes up and demands a chunk of it because he bought a ticket as well, would you give it up? I know I wouldn't.

Personally, I offer up all the gear I can't use because that's what I do. Do I hold it against people who don't act like I do? No. That makes you an !@#$%^-.

You win loot, it's yours to do with as you see fit, everyone else be damned. Don't let people bully you into doing something you don't want to do.

That being said, in a group, mob mentality rules. If they try to bully you into giving up gear and you stand your ground, take your boot like a man. It's within their right to do so.

Nopes. Its LFG he can do whatever he wants with his gear. These people aren't his friends, and these people would normally never interact with him. If this was a guild run or a premade then yea, i'd understand, but no it was random.

Second, they were rude about the loot right off the back, that alone would make me think twice before I even would consider offloading the loot.

Third, Why do casuals think everything should be handed to them on a silver platter?