Trade chat is REALLY racist right now

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 26 Next
Racists feel emboldened by Trump winning.

People are also being over-dramatic about him winning. He's a con-artist, not a fascist.
11/11/2016 12:38 AMPosted by Trouserpant
11/11/2016 12:35 AMPosted by Ankha
There's a guild on my server called "Make America Great Again". The members are about what you would expect.

They're also 1/7 H, which I guess would also be about what you would expect. Heehee.
I was trying to make this post apolitical. In fact, I've seen some pretty vile stuff from people on the opposite side of the political isle too, although their dissent fires the racists up even more and makes them go all-in with the racial slurs and violent talk.

I am sorry but i am seeing it quite differently. It is the other side inciting violence and using racial slurs. It is all because most people these days have no idea how to lose and how to handle it. I have trade turned off because i use the AH and there is NOTHING i need that i can not get on the AH or myself.
Wow you folks just cannot keep politics out of this can you?

Racist speech is against the games rules.
Homophobic speech is against the games rules.
Misogynistic speech is against the games rules.
Inciting violence is against the games rules.

You may think it's not a problem but these things marginalize and denigrate various groups and minorities simply for existing, while simultaneously enabling a group of people who thrive on this kind of ignorance and hatred.

It doesn't matter if this is a game (though it SHOULD matter since a video game should be an escape from real world problems like this). If I had no friends in wow and I started playing this game and saw the absolutely hostility towards gays people have been expressing lately, I'd quit in a heart beat because I don't feel like I can enjoy the social aspects of this game without having to see that vitriolic crap.

Do I report these people? Damn Skippy! Doesn't mean that this does anything. I could sit in trade and report till the cows come home and it won't make a difference unless blizzard steps in to take actions against these people.

The overwatch team is quicker to action. Riot is quicker to action (and I HATE riot). Why is the wow team so slow to deal with these blatant and offensive ToS violations?
Couldnt tell you if its on my server because I have had trade chat off
since wrath. It hasnt been used for trading for a long time.
So there is no point in having it on.

As for the racial comments. they are doing it simply because they
know it gets a reaction. Just report and move on.
11/11/2016 08:34 AMPosted by Fillyestra
11/11/2016 06:36 AMPosted by Outtopasture
Only name calling, bigotry and general BS on the couple servers I play on are coming from the left. Period.

And everything I've seen is coming from the right. Period.

Kind of ironic considering you insulted Trump voters in another thread, referring to them as "uneducated rural rednecks". Oh and you also said you laughed about a Trump supporter getting beaten and having his car stolen saying "he deserved it". Oops.
11/11/2016 02:26 AMPosted by Pouncey
11/11/2016 02:16 AMPosted by Luvia

Funny what you find, huh?
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/505/377
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/09-751.ZS.html

Just FYI, in the USA, what the federal government can do, and what a state government can do, are not necessarily the same thing.

For example, while the US federal government is not allowed to instate a national religion, individual state governments can instate official religions for their state.

And yet federal law overrules state law. If a state law makes church worship mandatory it would be null and void because of the constitution.
11/11/2016 10:15 AMPosted by Kalomonk
11/11/2016 02:26 AMPosted by Pouncey

Just FYI, in the USA, what the federal government can do, and what a state government can do, are not necessarily the same thing.

For example, while the US federal government is not allowed to instate a national religion, individual state governments can instate official religions for their state.

And yet federal law overrules state law. If a state law makes church worship mandatory it would be null and void because of the constitution.

Hmmm.. I wonder if a right-wing federal government has the ability to amend the Constitution to make church worship mandatory? They haven't amended your Constitution before, have they?
Just keep reporting them.
Sadly, it's not just trade chat that has gone off the rails with the intolerant, bigoted, and outright racist language and behavior.

It's in the elementary schools, too, with groups of kids taunting and harassing other kids from other groups. Those vids on youtube are really disgusting, and I can only hope that the teachers and principals of those schools do what they can to stop it, and that involves getting the parents of those kids involved, too.

You may not like who won, but that doesn't give people a license to go on the warpath and denigrate every group that got targeted in the election like it's open season on them or something.
If you're going to call something racist you better learn what racism means.

A white school teacher who dressed up as michael jordan for 18 years in a row for halloween was recently fired because wearing a michael jordon mask was racist.

A black guy posts a video of him covering himself in white paint and it gets 25m views, shared all over the US, laughed at, and considered to be "genius".
There is a lot of butthurt over the election in the states so I would consider leaving trade chat for a few days at least.
Turn it off. Trade chat hasn't been useful since BC.
11/11/2016 10:27 AMPosted by Deathikus

A white school teacher who dressed up as michael jordan for 18 years in a row for halloween was recently fired because wearing a michael jordon mask was racist.

A black guy posts a video of him covering himself in white paint and it gets 25m views, shared all over the US, laughed at, and considered to be "genius".

I'm sure we'll all try to remember that the next time we see someone spouting the n-word on /2 or blaming "the jews".
11/11/2016 10:29 AMPosted by Silairya

I'm sure we'll all try to remember that the next time we see someone spouting the n-word on /2 or blaming "the jews".

Don't black people call themselves the n-word?
11/11/2016 10:27 AMPosted by Deathikus

Ahem

Communication
When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

Source: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/policy

You're point isn't relevant in this context.

Edit: god damn autocorrect
11/11/2016 10:33 AMPosted by Ryumaru
Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

The question is: Who determines this? If I report someone for calling me a cracker nothing will happen. If someone reports me for using the "n-word" (which I would never do even if I WAS black) I will be banned.
11/11/2016 12:35 AMPosted by Ankha
There's a guild on my server called "Make America Great Again". The members are about what you would expect.

They're also 1/7 H, which I guess would also be about what you would expect. Heehee.

Comments like this just antagonize people. You think people are just going to let you mock them? Its a game, let them name their guild whatever they want. And maybe they are casual players who don't raid or just mainly pvp. You are judging people and no one likes to be judged, especially by strangers.
11/11/2016 12:42 AMPosted by Adolmaea
The silence penalty is also present in WoW and was added with Legion. The system works the same as HOTS; I just grabbed the wrong link off of Google. Just report them for language and they'll be on the GM radar. Multiple reports from multiple people will likely yield faster action.

Silencing due to reporting is automated, and may or may not be overturned after review.

The review takes place AFTER the silence happens, not before. Someone can literally be silenced in less than 60 seconds if enough folks report them.
11/11/2016 10:37 AMPosted by Deathikus
11/11/2016 10:33 AMPosted by Ryumaru

The question is: Who determines this? If I report someone for calling me a cracker nothing will happen. If someone reports me for using the "n-word" (which I would never do even if I WAS black) I will be banned.

The fact that you would even equate those 2 words means you should take your own advice about learning what really is racist and what isn't.
11/11/2016 10:40 AMPosted by Silairya
11/11/2016 10:37 AMPosted by Deathikus

The fact that you would even equate those 2 words means you should take your own advice about learning what really is racist and what isn't.

Both of those words are used in a derogatory manner by someone of one color against someone of another color.

So they are equal.