Cross-Faction Grouping

General Discussion
Yet another thread where the OP wants cross-faction grouping. I felt the need to create such a thread because Blizzard touched on the topic at this year's BlizzCon, and the answer we were given just doesn't feel like it's a good enough answer.

To quote MMO-Champion,
Cross-faction cooperative questions come up a lot, but they think faction identity is critical to World of Warcraft. They're not happy about two people are barred from playing together by faction, but they feel factions are too critical to bypass.

This is our answer, and it just doesn't fit with how WoW is going at a player's viewpoint. We always see Horde and Alliance NPCs that are friendly to the opposing faction (which we can understand, mind you; some really good work on learning Orcish/Common), storylines that involve the Horde and Alliance working together for a common goal (even though relations are tense), and we can be mercenaries for the opposite faction in PvP (when they need additional members).

I've partially excused the first two reasons with what I've put in parenthesis, but the last reason is the true kicker for me. NPCs can change colors in the blink of an eye, apparently, wanting to help both factions (some players also wish to do that, including myself) or become sympathizers, but we're pigeon-holed into being loyal only to our faction's leader(s). Even when we're making truces in the story to defeat a common enemy (Garrosh, for example), we still cannot group with players of the opposing faction, even if it were to take down the threat itself. But, now, we come to the PvP part of it, where it becomes very muddy.

With PvP faction balance being difficult to maintain for the battlegroups (or so I would assume based purely on in-game observations), we're able to become mercenaries. We work for the opposing faction to kill those that we were supposed to stay forever loyal to, or so we would be made to believe up to this point. We can communicate and understand the "enemy" in say, yell, raid, etc., and to the new enemy, our previous allies, we look just like the enemy (we're either very quick learners of the enemy language and looks, or that's some really powerful magic the recruiters use). Which, after all of it, we (as players) can return to "friends and family" and say "Hey, I just killed some of our allies in the name of the other faction". Faction identity doesn't seem terribly critical to me anymore with "free-thinking" characters added to the mix.

Having said all that, I now pose a few questions.
  • Why are we able to do this lore-wise?
  • Do the faction leaders know of this, and if so, why do they allow it?
  • If the recruiters are using some powerful magic, why don't more NPCs in the world know about it for other, more practical uses instead of those wanting the world to kill each other?
  • And finally, my major question to Blizzard...

• What is the true reason to why we cannot group with our friends on the opposing faction?
  • In a world of tense truces, turn-coat mercenaries, and denizens that help everyone, not just their own faction, are we truly supposed to believe that our characters are mindless loyalists to our factions and leaders instead of being our (the players) characters, living out our choices? There can be truces with small and large groups to work together for one reason or another. I merely want to play with my friends that prefer or have to play the other faction without forcing them or myself to roll an alt just to play together, and we have reasons that no longer make sense in this day and age. If faction identity is truly critical, I'll still always want my friends to be Horde instead of Alliance.
    Mister Trump, tear down this wall!

(Sorry I had to do it.)

+1 anyway.
    My idea for this has always been to undertake a grind to learn an enemy faction language, but only one at a time, and an exponentially greater grind each time, and Common would unlock last.

So I could go learn Gilnean, and after I do that, any group that has me gets up to one Worgen in it, who I am "translating" for. Bring more translators and bring more opposite-faction characters.

This would be a great solution for people who are friends, and on opposite factions, when neither friend will faction-budge but they really want to play with each other.
    Mercenary PVP is weird like that. I would prefer that my appearance not be altered and instead my tag would just simply switch over to the other faction because lore wise, our characters are kind of like mercenaries anyway considering that we can accept quests from anyone, regardless of race or faction. I always felt that if they eased up on the faction conflict and people still needed a lore reason for pvp, they could just say something like this.
    "After finally defeating the Legion, the Alliance and the Horde have come to a steady truce but the peace is uneasy. While some adventurers have been willing to put their past grudges aside and work with those of the opposite faction, others still engage in small skirmishes across Azeroth." Lore reason for PVP AND cross faction grouping.
    11/09/2016 05:10 AMPosted by Rosapheldra
    I always felt that if they eased up on the faction conflict and people still needed a lore reason for pvp, they could just say something like this.
    i really like the way Destiny did it's PvP lore and they use the Crucible (battlegrounds) as a sort of training field for different types of scenarios they could encounter in the field.
    Cross-faction cooperative questions come up a lot, but they think faction identity is critical to World of Warcraft. They're not happy about two people are barred from playing together by faction, but they feel factions are too critical to bypass.

What exactly are they worried is going to happen if cross grouping was possible? It wouldn't change either faction's identities or what they fight for.