What do I need for level 10 graphics?

General Discussion
I just bought a new PC and thought I pimped out all the options that would let me achieve level 10 graphics in this game without fps drops, but I'm still dropping to 30 FPS in areas where there's alot to see in the view distance, such as Suramar.

Below are my PC's specs, can any awesome tech people tell me what upgrade I need to make to play this game at 60 FPS on max graphics smoothly? Let me know if I'm missing an important part. Thanks in advance!

Processor: Intel Core i7-6800K CPU @ 3.4GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080
Storage: 240 GB SSD / 2 TB HDD
A magic wand. You are going to be told two things in this thread.

1. Wow is cpu dependant
2. the game engine is old and not optimized.

Asuming you have a top of the line cpu, the game is just too damn old. I have an older r9 290x with an i7 990x running at 4. 5GHz. I can play battlefield 3 in full ultra at 5760 x 1080 and hold 45-50 fps but I can't go beyond level 7 graphics in wow.

Actually, you will be told a third thing.....someone will claim they can run full ultra with no fps drops.
11/09/2016 02:35 PMPosted by Kaezor
i7-6800K CPU @ 3.4GHz

I feel like this is wasted money compared to the 6600k or the 6700k.

The 1080 will eliminate all GPU related issues at setting 10, but your frames will still studder, since the bulk of the work is done by the CPU, because it has to make all the draw calls (this being a server side game and all with the server constantly logging your location and the location of everyone and everything around you).

On top of that it's done mostly on a single thread, and single thread performance on even the best CPU is just not up to the task.
My PC is pretty good too and I can't run at full everything either.
No idea. Seems... wrong though.
Some of Legion's zones are lacking in the graphical optimization department my dude. Doesn't matter how beast your rig is, it's gonna run like !@#$e. A good example is Felsoul Hold.
11/09/2016 02:38 PMPosted by Aymeric
i7-6800K CPU @ 3.4GHz

I feel like this is wasted money compared to the 6600k or the 6700k.

I've already bought this PC so unless there's a better CPU to get, I don't care about the money at this point :)
Right now all top end systems default to 7 on the graphic settings which was the old ultra. Blizzard has to change it via a patch.

I have an i7-6700 CPU with a Geforce 1060 graphics card and I run fine at 60-100+ FPS in most areas with a modified 7 putting it closer to 8. I have yet to see any noticeable dips anywhere.

Blizzard will likely change what systems default to which value on the graphic settings once they optimize things better. So at the moment, going above 7 is effectively "buyers beware". You're doing it at your own risk. Just default back to 7 and increase the settings that matter most to you. I personally run with draw distance and ground clutter maxed out with textures, shadow, and water on the highest possible setting. Beyond that, anti-aliasing, etc doesn't matter to me. Just play with the settings. Don't just use 10 and hope it works. There's a reason Blizzard's not defaulting anyone above 7 at the moment. You don't give a blow torch to a kindergartner and hope they figure it out without hurting or killing someone. Learn what each setting does and be patient. Blizzard will change what systems default to eventually. When is hard to say, though.
My 980 Ti and i7-4790 run everything maxed out as possible and i have no frame drops, So that seems to work :D
Get an I-7 6700k. Still the best processor on the market for gaming and price is decent.
11/09/2016 02:54 PMPosted by Orzzar
Get an I-7 6700k. Still the best processor on the market for gaming and price is decent.
Processor: Intel Core i7-6800K CPU @ 3.4GHz

I think he's covered
The Skylake i7s are solid gaming processors, and the 1080 card is excellent. I'm going to guess there is other stuff happening. I get fairly consistent 100 fps on a 6700k with 2x 980ti SLI, with only occasional dips depending on where I am and how crowded that area is, but it rarely noticeable.

Your rig should be pretty close to that. I'm mildly overclocked and on water, but nothing extreme. You might look into other processes on the machine that are eating up cycles possibly.
Even folks with GTX1080s and i7 processors will still find problems with the game.

WoW isn't properly optimized to make full use of your GPU's power, essentially bottlenecking itself and leading to FPS drops in rigs where you could run Witcher3 on Ultra with no drops at all.

Not everyone experiences the drops, but it's usually inevitable at one stage or another.
im running i5 with gtx 1070 and i get over 100 fps but that !@#$ drops in broken isles. i run everything maxed out!
11/09/2016 02:50 PMPosted by Dyra
Right now all top end systems default to 7 on the graphic settings which was the old ultra. Blizzard has to change it via a patch.

I have an i7-6700 CPU with a Geforce 1060 graphics card and I run fine at 60-100+ FPS in most areas with a modified 7 putting it closer to 8. I have yet to see any noticeable dips anywhere.

Blizzard will likely change what systems default to which value on the graphic settings once they optimize things better. So at the moment, going above 7 is effectively "buyers beware". You're doing it at your own risk. Just default back to 7 and increase the settings that matter most to you. I personally run with draw distance and ground clutter maxed out with textures, shadow, and water on the highest possible setting. Beyond that, anti-aliasing, etc doesn't matter to me. Just play with the settings. Don't just use 10 and hope it works. There's a reason Blizzard's not defaulting anyone above 7 at the moment. You don't give a blow torch to a kindergartner and hope they figure it out without hurting or killing someone. Learn what each setting does and be patient. Blizzard will change what systems default to eventually. When is hard to say, though.

You're pretty much correct here.

WoW runs on a couple of cores at best and barely taxes something like a 1080 (I have one.)

It's just horribly optimised so whilst you may get a few more frames from a high end i7 6k, it's really not worth it.

If you play any other game that throws a lot to the GPU, a 1080 will be awesome.
Thanks guys so sounds like there's no point in me upgrading anything.
As I predicted, all 3 things were mentioned. Now we are just waiting for someone to call out the guy who says he runs maxed out with his 980ti and his i7 4790 and this thread will be just like the other 189465 threads on this topic.

Well, not about running ultra 10 but all the other threads talking about poor fps on top of the line gpu's.
A magic wand.

Actually, you will be told a third thing.....someone will claim they can run full ultra with no fps drops.

11/09/2016 02:51 PMPosted by Huuitrol
My 980 Ti and i7-4790 run everything maxed out as possible and i have no frame drops, So that seems to work :D
11/09/2016 02:36 PMPosted by Blastinya
the game engine is old and not optimized.

Pretty much this doesnt matter much what new toy you put to your computer..
Good luck, I have 6 core intel cpu running at 4.5 with a gtx 1080 and SSD. It chugs like no ones business. Wow is just too old and not on an engine that can be properly scaled and optimized. Unless the game gets a completely new engine, it will always be this way. Oh well, we certainly aren't playing for the visuals.
Copied from another thread I posted in:

My Monitor: Philips 42PUS7809 4K
My GPU: GTX1070
My CPU: i5 6600k
My Motherboard: z170 series
My Power Supply: 1000w

With this setup I can run WoW optimally on level 8 graphics @2160p. This will return on average in say, Suramar....about 80fps while flying over and looking down at the city (looking at the sky only returns over 150fps :p)

Does a 4k compliant setup make this game better?, without a doubt. The GFX amaze me in new ways every single day that I log in.

A 2nd SLI'd 1070 will be needed to run ultra without too much FPS loss.

P.s. You can even modify the graphics beyond the level 10 setting if you so desired or have the hardware to do so.