Yearly Subscription Please

General Discussion
Ok so we can buy a 6 month subscription, but isn't it about time that we could buy a whole years worth in one go? It would make a nice Birthday or Christmas present, and it would also be good for those of us who only get extra money once a year (like a tax return). I was using in game tokens until it became too much gold for me, but I would be interested in paying for a year subscription and not having to worry about my game time running out for ages. :)
Dont give them ideas.
I'd probably pay for 12 months worth if there was a discount in it for me, otherwise i'll just plod along using a token here or there with the flexibility to bail out of things get too stale.
11/21/2016 06:19 PMPosted by Kahl
Dont give them ideas.

Why? If it's something some people want and it's technically and fiscally feasible to do, why shouldn't they do it?

Just because you don't like it? Care to explain what detractors you have on the idea?
11/21/2016 06:54 PMPosted by Regg
11/21/2016 06:19 PMPosted by Kahl
Dont give them ideas.

Why? If it's something some people want and it's technically and fiscally feasible to do, why shouldn't they do it?

Just because you don't like it? Care to explain what detractors you have on the idea?

Frankly, with the large amount of microtransactions and timegating in a subcription based game where there is an initial expansion cost, I dont have the most faith in Blizzard's monetary faithfullness to the customer. I highly doubt it would happen, but I would just like to stop the problem before it grows and we end up going back to multiple months being bundled, being your only options.

If the majority of players buy a yearly sub, there isnt much drive to keep content consistent and excellent. When more players do it on a monthly basis, there is constant pressure to keep them interested, less you lose that players monthly payment.
11/21/2016 07:18 PMPosted by Kahl
Frankly, with the large amount of microtransactions and timegating in a subcription based game where there is an initial expansion cost, I dont have the most faith in Blizzard's monetary faithfullness to the customer. I highly doubt it would happen, but I would just like to stop the problem before it grows and we end up going back to multiple months being bundled, being your only options.

If the majority of players buy a yearly sub, there isnt much drive to keep content consistent and excellent. When more players do it on a monthly basis, there is constant pressure to keep them interested, less you lose that players monthly payment.

This is a much better post, thank you!

Personally, I feel that as far as MMOs go, this one, even with the time-gating that's in place, still has significantly less of it than a lot of the other games in the genre, but that's really just my personal opinion based on the slice of the genre that I've experienced first-hand.

I don't see a yearly subscription being something that many people would want, but I do see it brought up often enough in the Customer Support forum (usually moved to General Discussion pretty fast) to know that there's at least a small portion of the community that does want it.

You said you didn't want to go back to multiple months being bundled as the only option -- to the best of my knowledge, that's never been a thing for WoW. At least, it has since I first started playing in 2007, though I admit I was late to the party (thanks, Uncle Sam..).

I definitely don't think it'd be something the majority would do, and Blizzard has always been quite kind about refunding time that I have remaining on my account that hasn't been used, provided I'm proactive about asking.

If I come back eight months after my 3-month sub expired and ask for a refund for two months' worth of it, that's a little harder to justify, largely due to the amount of time that's passed since I paid them.

Honestly, I think if there's enough of a demand for it to make it worthwhile, they should do it, as long as it doesn't impact currently existing modes of payment.
11/21/2016 07:18 PMPosted by Kahl
I dont have the most faith in Blizzard's monetary faithfullness to the customer.

They've kept the same pricing as the game came out with 12 years ago.

Despite vast changes in the gaming industry and the economy, they haven't changed the basic subscription cost, or changed anything about what that subscription entitles us to.

I'd say that Blizzard's been exceedingly faithful to the customer...
11/21/2016 06:33 PMPosted by Virus
I'd probably pay for 12 months worth if there was a discount in it for me, otherwise i'll just plod along using a token here or there with the flexibility to bail out of things get too stale.

I would probably do the same.
I used to be on the 12 Month Plan, but it didn't suit my situation. Getting slammed with a nearly $80 charge of nowhere on a limited budget isn't fun. Monthly works better for me.
11/21/2016 07:42 PMPosted by Decleaver
I used to be on the 12 Month Plan, but it didn't suit my situation. Getting slammed with a nearly $80 charge of nowhere on a limited budget isn't fun.

That's not a yearly subscription, first and foremost because a yearly subscription doesn't exist and never has, which is the point of this thread.

The 6-month subscription and 180-day game time card/code are about eighty bucks.

I would assume the price point for a 360-day time card/code or 12-month subscription would be either $131.88 USD (10.99/mo) or $143.88 (11.99/mo) to fall in line with the other discounts.

Compared with $14.99/mo, that's a savings of $36.00 for the year. That's enough for a Character Transfer or Faction Change. For a lot of people, that's enough justification.
Decleaver's probably thinking of the Annual Pass.

That wasn't a year-long subscription, that was a year-long commitment in return for some goodies.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Annual_Pass
Don't see why a year subscription isn't feasible. We have:
1 month at $14.99
2 months at $29.99 ($14.99 a month)
3 months at $41.97 ($13.99 a month)
6 months at $77.94 ($12.99 a month)

Why not a year subscription at $143.88 ($11.99 a month) or $131.88 ($10.99 a month) with a 9 month subscription at $107.91 ($11.99 a month)? Guess those people who feel "forced" to do things will feel "forced" to do year long subscriptions. But what's to stop people from just buying 6x 2 month time cards right now aside from the fact that it doesn't have a discount? If people want to buy a year subscription, that's their decision. You'd think Blizzard would do it because then that's more players that are committed for a long duration. I'm sure many players are either monthly subs or sub with time cards so are only subbed for short durations.

There's nothing wrong with choices.
Pst it's not really a discount - Look up the time value of money.
11/21/2016 08:35 PMPosted by Caddarly
Pst it's not really a discount - Look up the time value of money.

Let me know where you're going to get a return greater than the discount value of $1/mo with an investment of $15.

And then let me know where you're going to find a better value in entertainment for $15 in sheer terms of available hours provided.

Go back to your Econ professor and tell him you need a refresher on applying theoretical concepts to real life.
11/21/2016 08:52 PMPosted by Brugh
Let me know where you're going to get a return greater than the discount value of $1/mo with an investment of $15.

This. Bank interest rates right now seem to be around 0.1% annually. A dollar is about 6.5% of fifteen dollars.

That's an awfully large difference.
11/21/2016 05:54 PMPosted by Vestah
Ok so we can buy a 6 month subscription, but isn't it about time that we could buy a whole years worth in one go? It would make a nice Birthday or Christmas present, and it would also be good for those of us who only get extra money once a year (like a tax return). I was using in game tokens until it became too much gold for me, but I would be interested in paying for a year subscription and not having to worry about my game time running out for ages. :)

Why is OP getting downvoted?
11/21/2016 08:59 PMPosted by Regg
11/21/2016 08:52 PMPosted by Brugh

This. Bank interest rates right now seem to be around 0.1% annually. A dollar is about 6.5% of fifteen dollars.

That's an awfully large difference.

Where I'm from:
- The mortgage offset rate is currently 4%
- The term deposit rate is 3%
- The share market rate of return is roughly 10-15%
- The property capital appreciation rate is roughly 10%

My point is, the discount isn't really that big and in some case costing you money.
11/21/2016 08:59 PMPosted by Mezasu
Why is OP getting downvoted?

Dunno. Edgelord salt?

..Yeah, I've got nothing. Sorry.
11/21/2016 09:06 PMPosted by Caddarly
My point is, the discount isn't really that big and in some case costing you money.

It's not costing anyone a significant amount of money. The point at which interest accrues to an appreciable degree is in increments of a year or more. Even then, most of the people interested in dropping cash on investments appreciating at the higher end of the spectrum have the cash needed to do so (because that cash doesn't remain liquid while invested) without respect to their subscription to a videogame.
11/21/2016 09:06 PMPosted by Caddarly
Where I'm from:
- The mortgage offset rate is currently 4%
- The term deposit rate is 3%
- The share market rate of return is roughly 10-15%
- The property capital appreciation rate is roughly 10%

Your investment capital is $15/mo.

Where are you going to realize a return of $1/mo on that level of investment?

You aren't.

In order to get that kind of return on a term deposit, you're going to be looking at probably a minimum $10,000 deposit.

Therefore, your theoretical valuation of your money is meaningless in reality, especially when compared to an ACTUAL discount on a subscription.

But really, smart investors aren't investing in term deposits anyways.

Lego is where the big bucks are. It's outperforming gold over the last few years...