DONE Playing a Healer

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next
11/23/2016 07:40 AMPosted by Swiftmends
Actually no. As a healer you need to stop your cast too because taking that damage means you now have even more to heal putting you further behind.

This.
As a healer you need to be following mechanics. You need to move first. If someone dies because you need to move then they probably weren't topped off to begin with or were continuously standing in stuff. If they weren't topped off you need to plan better for incoming damage. You can easily kill yourself trying to get "one more heal" off. Then your whole group is screwed. You owe it to them to take care of your health. Too many healers tunnel their party/raid and forget to look after their own.
As a healer, these are my priorities:

1. Keep myself alive. If I'm dead, nobody gets heals and everyone dies.
2. Keep the tank alive. If the tank is dead, mobs go ham and everyone dies.
3. Keep the DPS alive.

If I have to choose between saving a DPS and moving out of goo to keep myself alive, I'm moving out of the goo every time. If he dies, he dies, he shouldn't have been standing in goo either.
11/23/2016 07:22 AMPosted by Aeskir
Perhaps the issue is not that you're a healer, it's that you stood in bad stuff.

If another player is standing in bad stuff then you don't also stand in bad stuff so you can heal them. They keep themselves alive or they die.

You can't afford a healer who keeps dying. If you keep doing it, expect to keep getting kicked or just make the decision to get better.

Instead of writing this long whine post you could have just joined another run in progress in 2-3 minutes.

First, I'm not really upset about anyone's performance in particular. What I AM upset about is spending 90 minutes on a run, it's going smoothly with my performance a large part of that, THEN getting kicked without wiping or any warning.

You wouldn't be upset having a good run and spending most of your night there just to get abruptly kicked out of nowhere? I bet you would.

And someone else mentioned requeuing up. But this is Kara. I've already cleared 5 bosses now. So I either have to queue with someone else and spend another 90 minutes clearing bosses who will provide me with absolutely no loot. Or I have to queue up my instance, and let everyone know the first 5 bosses are down and we are only doing the last 3. You think on Tuesday night with everyone having fresh Kara instances I'll be able to fill a party for just the last three bosses in 2-3 minutes? I doubt it.

I'm left with those two options. Spend another night running Kara again and not getting loot for it, or struggle to get a group together for just the last three bosses which may or may not even be possible, especially on a Tuesday night.

THAT is why I'm upset. It's a giant waste of my time and a boot for no good reason.
11/23/2016 07:44 AMPosted by Zynxia

Actually no. As a healer you need to stop your cast too because taking that damage means you now have even more to heal putting you further behind.

Actually no. If the tank dies because you canceled a crucial cast - that's worse.

If the tank was already low enough that a single cast lets them die. you Already messed up. I have been healing for years on Holy paly, Holy/Disco Priest and now Resto Druid. Going between casual and Hardcore.

You DO NOT stand in bad as a healer as well. You take the one or two seconds you need to move. Plan ahead to avoid future abilities. Pop an external on the tank and keep going.

You yourself have claimed to have issues healing. Please stop trying to spread bad habits to others.
11/23/2016 07:50 AMPosted by Pubik
11/23/2016 07:22 AMPosted by Aeskir
Perhaps the issue is not that you're a healer, it's that you stood in bad stuff.

If another player is standing in bad stuff then you don't also stand in bad stuff so you can heal them. They keep themselves alive or they die.

You can't afford a healer who keeps dying. If you keep doing it, expect to keep getting kicked or just make the decision to get better.

Instead of writing this long whine post you could have just joined another run in progress in 2-3 minutes.

First, I'm not really upset about anyone's performance in particular. What I AM upset about is spending 90 minutes on a run, it's going smoothly with my performance a large part of that, THEN getting kicked without wiping or any warning.

You wouldn't be upset having a good run and spending most of your night there just to get abruptly kicked out of nowhere? I bet you would.

And someone else mentioned requeuing up. But this is Kara. I've already cleared 5 bosses now. So I either have to queue with someone else and spend another 90 minutes clearing bosses who will provide me with absolutely no loot. Or I have to queue up my instance, and let everyone know the first 5 bosses are down and we are only doing the last 3. You think on Tuesday night with everyone having fresh Kara instances I'll be able to fill a party for just the last three bosses in 2-3 minutes? I doubt it.

THAT is why I'm upset. It's a giant waste of my time and a boot for no good reason.

You need to keep your story straight. Firstly 90 minutes is not smooth. secondly you already said you had wiped multiple times on various bosses.
11/23/2016 07:54 AMPosted by Swiftmends

You need to keep your story straight. Firstly 90 minutes is not smooth. secondly you already said you had wiped multiple times on various bosses.

Eh...

I've had 90 minutes for the first half. It's not 'smoooooth' but it's smooth compared to the REALLY bad pugs. Some groups are still a bit shaky to my knowledge.

Basically, it could be a group that's not having serious problems, but is having minor problems and pulling slow and carefully.

Either that, or i'm not watching my clock well.
My last 2 weeks have been about 20 minutes for the first groups up to curator.

Smooth is no ones died, you arn't cutting it close and you arnt wiping on every boss.

The OP stated he wiped on numerous bosses a couple times. Im assuming because he stood in bad to heal a dps standing in bad resulting in his death and overall the group wiping.

Im against the op because he claims his performance was exactly were it needed to be. But from my experiance it doesn't appear that way. Being humble and apologizing for your mistakes gets you pretty far unless you just outright can't keep up and shouldn't be there. I dunno how many times i messed up the group was pissed but because i shouldered the blame and identified where i had messed up (signifying i knew what i needed to fix) i was instantly greeted with smiles and "np man" "It's all good. we got it this time"
11/23/2016 05:19 AMPosted by Malorich
This is why I play a Resto Druid. Healing on the move is so much less frustrating when I can throw out some HoTs while running out of the bad stuff.

But yeah, this is why I only ever make my own groups.

I don't consider healing on the move to be all that bad as a Holy Priest even though every spell is a hard cast outside of Renew (lol) and our Holy Words. You get used to it... stop, cast... move... The only time it really sucks is when the bad spawns underneath you right as you start channeling Divine Hymn.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the lack of mobility for my class... maybe I've just gotten used to it. I've never played any other healer so I have nothing to compare to.
tsk tsk tsk so stressful over a game.
11/23/2016 08:02 AMPosted by Swiftmends
My last 2 weeks have been about 20 minutes for the first groups up to curator.

Smooth is no ones died, you arn't cutting it close and you arnt wiping on every boss.

The OP stated he wiped on numerous bosses a couple times. Im assuming because he stood in bad to heal a dps standing in bad resulting in his death and overall the group wiping.

Im against the op because he claims his performance was exactly were it needed to be. But from my experiance it doesn't appear that way. Being humble and apologizing for your mistakes gets you pretty far unless you just outright can't keep up and shouldn't be there. I dunno how many times i messed up the group was pissed but because i shouldered the blame and identified where i had messed up (signifying i knew what i needed to fix) i was instantly greeted with smiles and "np man" "It's all good. we got it this time"

I've definitely not had 20 minutes for first half. Your tanks must know some routes mine don't :(

I had at least an hour last time I ran it up to curator, with only 1 wipe (Moroes)

11/23/2016 08:04 AMPosted by Madesen

I've seen a lot of complaints about the lack of mobility for my class... maybe I've just gotten used to it. I've never played any other healer so I have nothing to compare to.

I definitely think it's something you have to get used to.

On Shaman I find mobile healing to be much smoother. You have like 4-5 cooldowns and most of your healing is either fast or AoE.

Given, there is the downside of no Echo of Light buffer. You start to miss it when damage spikes more.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This is pretty obvious if you have ever healed. You may need to stand in the bad momentarily to get a cast off that will save someone from dying - as long as standing in that bad wont cause your own death. It's more forgiving for a dps to cancel a "cast" in order to move and avoid damage. Not so much for a healer.

I would rather play catch up than wipe because the tank died. If I have health to spare and people are about to die, I promise you I will stand in the bad to ensure no one dies.

In a perfect world I wouldn't need to do that, but in pugs it can and will happen.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I would rather play catch up than wipe because the tank died. If I have health to spare and people are about to die, I promise you I will stand in the bad to ensure no one dies.

In a perfect world I wouldn't need to do that, but in pugs it can and will happen.

Keep in mind we're in a discussion where there are healers dying because of this, not just falling behind....

There are small, small situations where you may stand in bad and get away with it, but unless you seriously know what you're doing you shouldn't try your luck, and chances are it's not needed.
11/23/2016 08:07 AMPosted by Mediarama

If you're doing your job well in the first place, your tank won't die in the one or two seconds it takes to move out of bad stuff. You should be blowing cooldowns and planning for incoming predictable damage before it gets to the point of "I have to stand in bad or people are dying." I'm not being ugly but the mark of a good healer is being able anticipate it and plan accordingly. Time your heals.
The tank at no point in an encounter should ever be low enough health that they will die because you werent casting for 3 GCD to move. Never. Ever. (By this i mean boss encounter, trash pulls can often be far worse then boss pulls)

It is inexcusable to stand in bad as a healer because "you were finishing a cast" Your tank should be geared enough by the time they are doing kara that they can survive ATLEAST 10 seconds of a boss fight without heals.

There are various shortcuts you can take. We also speed run for nightbane (finally got the buggers mount last night)
11/23/2016 08:13 AMPosted by Swiftmends
There are various shortcuts you can take. We also speed run for nightbane (finally got the buggers mount last night)

Maybe it's that, I'm pretty sure I haven't used any shortcuts so far.
11/23/2016 05:22 AMPosted by Viriarli
You should have let the melee standing in crap die, then told them not to stand in crap when rezing them.

The problem is the devs do a terrible job at informing melee they are being bad.

It's so bad that there are addons called GTFO and DBM that are essentially required for any instances content. These addons have been out for a while and the dev's still haven't been able to put anything close to those in the game.

So, of course, they will blame the healers. They have no idea they are doing anything wrong. No mechanism to inform them it was their fault and not the healers.
Every once in a while you'll get kicked in a pug, whether something was your fault or not, whether you did something wrong or not.

Happens to Tanks, happens to Heals, happens to DPS.

A couple weeks ago I ran one of those timewalking dungeons. Everything was fine, we were going through it no problem at all at a fast pace, in fact none of us said a word the entire run.

Then on the last 1/3 of the dungeon, I was kicked. It wasn't even a guild group where they were sneaking in another guild member. I still have absolutely no idea why they did it, but they did.
11/23/2016 08:16 AMPosted by Mannmonk
You should have let the melee standing in crap die, then told them not to stand in crap when rezing them.

The problem is the devs do a terrible job at informing melee they are being bad.

It's so bad that there are addons called GTFO and DBM that are essentially required for any instances content. These addons have been out for a while and the dev's still haven't been able to put anything close to those in the game.

So, of course, they will blame the healers. They have no idea they are doing anything wrong. No mechanism to inform them it was their fault and not the healers.

Might be a bit too hand-holdy, but I like how FFXIV does AoE.

Just big Orange circles before every AoE cast goes off. If they get hit, it's completely obvious.
11/23/2016 08:16 AMPosted by Mannmonk

Death Recap says hello