The Cost Of Progression Raiding - Questions

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Hey all! So, it's been a long, long, looooooong time since I've raided 'hardcore' (BC/LK), but I'm thinking about delving back in to it.

Just had a couple of quick questions as far as progression raiding is concerned.

1) If an individual is going 'all out' with consumables and what not, what is the approximate cost of one night's raiding, if one figures ~3or4 hours of wipes?

2) Are the standard consumables still just flasks, food, and potions?

Thanks!
You will want to take up herbing. Those are still the consumables yes, there is another "runes" these aren't reliably gathered so unless you are bleeding edge most guilds wont ask you supply a raids night with them.

You're looking at 50-70k a week. I can't stress the herbing enough unless you're great with the auction house.
11/29/2016 01:42 PMPosted by Mikewill
You will want to take up herbing. Those are still the consumables yes, there is another "runes" these aren't reliably gathered so unless you are bleeding edge most guilds wont ask you supply a raids night with them.

You're looking at 50-70k a week. I can't stress the herbing enough unless you're great with the auction house.

Hey Mike thanks for the quick reply!

So going by your estimation of 50-70k a week (lets just call it 60k), a person would really be looking at 15-20k of consumables a night, if you figured 3 or 4 nights a week?

If that's about right, then ... ho lee cow!
It's also going to depend on how many hours a week you raid.

On my realm it's 900-1200g average for flasks so multiply that by the number of hours you raid.

Pots/runes will vary but honestly you shouldn't be using those on progression unless you're close to a kill so if you're using 20k in pots a night on 50% wipes then that's just throwing money away.

I'm a more casual raider, only going 4 hours/wk with my guild, and I think my average bill is closer to 10k a week. I farm my own food mats so that helps keep costs down too.
11/29/2016 02:08 PMPosted by Helorassian

On my realm it's 900-1200g average for flasks so multiply that by the number of hours you raid.

Pots/runes will vary but honestly you shouldn't be using those on progression unless you're close to a kill so if you're using 20k in pots a night on 50% wipes then that's just throwing money away.

I'm a more casual raider, only going 4 hours/wk with my guild, and I think my average bill is closer to 10k a week. I farm my own food mats so that helps keep costs down too.

Hey thanks for the reply Helo.

So, you're talking about 4hrs/wk worth of raiding, correct? And it costs you approximately 10k for those 4hrs? If you had to buy your own food, then we would probably be getting in the neighborhood of that 15-20k a night Mikewill stated in his post?
11/29/2016 02:46 PMPosted by Jimad
11/29/2016 02:08 PMPosted by Helorassian

Hey thanks for the reply Helo.

So, you're talking about 4hrs/wk worth of raiding, correct? And it costs you approximately 10k for those 4hrs? If you had to buy your own food, then we would probably be getting in the neighborhood of that 15-20k a night Mikewill stated in his post?

To get more bang for your buck, grab Alchemy aswell. 2 hours on flask times instead of 1 hour. And if you want, roll a panda for the double food buff aswell.
With the blood trader now, having a herbalist is less of a requirement, depending on how many days/hours per week you raid.

I have 2 herbalists, but find it's easier to just farm bloods doing other content to trade for the herbs. I get enough to make all the pots/flasks I need plus sell a few on the AH.

Potion of prolonged power is a cheap alternative pot when a kill is a long way off.

I get mats for food using the harvester enchant.
Well, I have two 110 herbalists, so that's not a problem. One is also a skinner, while the other is a miner. Booth have the Boon of the Harvester enchant. I make plenty of gold on the auction house, so I'm not all that worried about being able to afford raiding.

I'm not too concerned with how to reduce the cost of raiding, but rather just trying to get a rough guesstimate of what I would be looking at, gold-wise, a night or week of raiding, if you figure it at 3-4 hours a night, 3-4 nights a week.
Why don't more people use Cauldrons? They're extremely cheap once you have both rank 3 flasks and rank 3 Cauldron, plus Cauldrons are already a 33% discount on Flasks to begin with.
11/29/2016 03:22 PMPosted by Ariellè
Why don't more people use Cauldrons? They're extremely cheap once you have both rank 3 flasks and rank 3 Cauldron, plus Cauldrons are already a 33% discount on Flasks to begin with.

We used to use them when we had 15+ raiders showing up every week but now we don't have enough regular raiders and we didn't want to provide free flasks at the expense of our guild for a half pug team so we've been buying our own lately.

With a full guild team everyone should be contributing whether it's with a harvester enchant or spending bloods on herbs and then you just need an alchemist to make a flask/cauldron for everyone and that keeps costs down.
11/29/2016 03:21 PMPosted by Jimad
Well, I have two 110 herbalists, so that's not a problem. One is also a skinner, while the other is a miner. Booth have the Boon of the Harvester enchant. I make plenty of gold on the auction house, so I'm not all that worried about being able to afford raiding.

I'm not too concerned with how to reduce the cost of raiding, but rather just trying to get a rough guesstimate of what I would be looking at, gold-wise, a night or week of raiding, if you figure it at 3-4 hours a night, 3-4 nights a week.

The point of this thread was to try and find out the approximate cost of progression raiding. The reason I made this thread is because 1) I'm thinking about getting into raiding again, but more importantly, 2) I want to help fund a friend of mine as well.

Just trying to get an idea of how much I'll be burning through a night.
11/29/2016 01:38 PMPosted by Jimad
1) If an individual is going 'all out' with consumables and what not, what is the approximate cost of one night's raiding, if one figures ~3or4 hours of wipes?

Depends on your server and spec. Assuming a slightly generous cost for Pots and Flasks you are looking at:

60g per Prolonged Potion
900g per Flask
350g per Old War / Deadly Grace
100g per Food

On progression you will use Prolonged until you have the mechanics and strat down then swap to the real potions (unless your class actually does more DPS with Prolonged which is only a few).

Flask is easy; that is 2700-3600 per night (3-4 hours) and half if you are Alchemy.
Potions will be about 3-7K per night depending on how much you wipe and whether or not you will be using the higher end ones. Food will be 2-4K depending on how many times you die.

If you raid 3 nights a week for 4 hours a night you are looking at around 30-60K per week. This of course does not include Vantus Runes, Augment Runes, or re-spec tomes. If you consider those you are up another 10-30K (depending on how many you use).

You have two types of potions. Depending on your class and spec and the fight you may or may not benefit from the high end potions over the cheaper ones. Old War is almost always better but some casters and some fights favor the prolonged over Deadly Grace.

You also have Vantus Runes but these are a one time per week purchase for progression (usually the raid lead will tell you which one to get). You also have Augment Runes which are 325 main stat. They are a small boost but sometimes they can help. They cost a small amount but expire like food.

Lastly you have re-spec tomes. These can cost a decent amount (up to 1K). Some specs need to re-do Talents between every fight so you can spend a lot or none on these depending.
11/29/2016 01:38 PMPosted by Jimad

Depends on your server and spec. Assuming a slightly generous cost for Pots and Flasks you are looking at:

60g per Prolonged Potion
900g per Flask
350g per Old War / Deadly Grace
100g per Food

On progression you will use Prolonged until you have the mechanics and strat down then swap to the real potions (unless your class actually does more DPS with Prolonged which is only a few).

Flask is easy; that is 2700-3600 per night (3-4 hours) and half if you are Alchemy.
Potions will be about 3-7K per night depending on how much you wipe and whether or not you will be using the higher end ones. Food will be 2-4K depending on how many times you die.

If you raid 3 nights a week for 4 hours a night you are looking at around 30-60K per week. This of course does not include Vantus Runes, Augment Runes, or re-spec tomes. If you consider those you are up another 10-30K (depending on how many you use).

You have two types of potions. Depending on your class and spec and the fight you may or may not benefit from the high end potions over the cheaper ones. Old War is almost always better but some casters and some fights favor the prolonged over Deadly Grace.

You also have Vantus Runes but these are a one time per week purchase for progression (usually the raid lead will tell you which one to get). You also have Augment Runes which are 325 main stat. They are a small boost but sometimes they can help. They cost a small amount but expire like food.

Lastly you have re-spec tomes. These can cost a decent amount (up to 1K). Some specs need to re-do Talents between every fight so you can spend a lot or none on these depending.

TY so much for the comprehensive breakdown, Corscesia! Just what I was looking for!