Fire Mages Get Nerfs, Blizz Flocks to Explain

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 26 Next
It's good to note that I am not a developer, so the title here is very misleading.

I did leave notes in multiple class forums that 7.1.5 is very much in flux, and that's basically what I did in the mage forum. These other comments came later in the day, near to when I was leaving the office, so I didn't have time to dive into conversations with Warlocks, for example.

We have notes for other specs that we will be sharing throughout the length of the 7.1.5 PTR, but we are not necessarily ready to talk about the state of every spec at this time - Fire is just in a more solid place. I do plan on sharing more 7.1.5 information today and tomorrow as stuff comes to me that is more set-in-stone.
11/17/2016 11:49 AMPosted by Ornyx
It's good to note that I am not a developer, so the title here is very misleading.

I did leave notes in multiple class forums that 7.1.5 is very much in flux, and that's basically what I did in the mage forum. These other comments came later in the day, near to when I was leaving the office, so I didn't have time to dive into conversations with Warlocks, for example.

We have notes for other specs that we will be sharing throughout the length of the 7.1.5 PTR, but we are not necessarily ready to talk about the state of every spec at this time - Fire is just in a more solid place. I do plan on sharing more 7.1.5 information today and tomorrow as stuff comes to me that is more set-in-stone.

Please comment on player concerns in the Class Design thread, they have been constructive and calm and you promised a discussion, thank you.

We have notes for other specs that we will be sharing throughout the length of the 7.1.5 PTR, but we are not necessarily ready to talk about the state of every spec at this time. I do plan on doing that today and tomorrow as information comes to me that is more set-in-stone.

Thank you for the response Orynx. Looking forward to seeing what the new changes will be.
we are not necessarily ready to talk about the state of every spec at this time

But when the community is a seething mass of frustration don't you think the devs could just step up and talk to people?

Cool. Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you later.

If you could, please continue to post things like this. Even knowing you were out of time to respond is helpful to understand the situation. That's all we're asking for.

Loved you on Conan btw

I don't envy you, and your position.

I feel like most people would be sated and happy if you sort of just came out with a general plan.

There does feel like there is a lot of communication to mages, and they have a general sense that they are were they should be. Other classes sort of end up feeling dejected and as if no one cares. Coming out and saying "This is what we feel X class should be doing, and we plan on making moves to adjust to that" would likely go a long way, even if people disagree and want their class to be something else, at least they would know.

Also, you have to admit, Fire Mages don't have weaknesses.

Yeaaaaa, with the exception that this is NOT the first time the Devs have popped into the Mage Discord. Celestalon was in there not that long ago and most classes can't even get any kind of feedback. You really have no excuse this time no matter how you try and spin it.

Well, that's good to hear. Everyone was taken aback because the Mages response was detailed and not just a, "We're working on it" kind of response that others did. I suppose that meant that most of the changes for Fire Mages, or Mages in general, are pretty much locked however the other classes are still in flux. It would be great if the development team provide some chewey bits for the others classes though. Not an essay, just a couple of points of interest.

Hopefully DK's get the same number of responses they got in beta and since release then.

Wait, DK's never got any responses.

On the bright side, A+ consistency for the Dev team there.
11/17/2016 11:55 AMPosted by Smashpockets

That's what people kept saying pre-7.1, which is when we got nerfed, so idk why people keep saying it post-nerf. Like, even ignoring that poor survivability was a weakness all along, the DPS isn't OP anymore.

Still doesn't explain why mages get the most feedback. This is always the case even in their discord.
A blue yelled at everyone that got "too angry" on the feedback frustration forums and reminded everyone their posts were either edited or deleted since they were being disrespected.
Yet, they answer a post for fire mages starting with "YOU STUPID IDIOTS."
11/17/2016 12:01 PMPosted by Tetsubin

That's what people kept saying pre-7.1, which is when we got nerfed, so idk why people keep saying it post-nerf. Like, even ignoring that poor survivability was a weakness all along, the DPS isn't OP anymore.

Ok as blatant a weakness.

Shadow Priests, Fury warriors, MM hunters, they all are situationally strong, and have situations were they are not good. Fire Mages may be less optimal, but they aren't BAD in any situation.

Perhaps portion your time a bit better if there is an issue in that regard, so that your attention doesn't seem to lopsidedly favor one spec of one class (which coincidentally is the one you play). Or maybe ask your employers to assign more than 1 CM to handle class discourse, so that all classes can get a more equal portionment of discourse with Blizzard. I realize there ARE other CMs, but you are the only one I see ever engage in conversation regarding class balance/tuning/etc. Why, might I ask, is it that for a game with this many players, that's been around for this long, and a company this rich there's only 1 CM doing what you are doing (even if your attention isn't really split evenly amongst the class concerns)?
I do plan on sharing more 7.1.5 information today and tomorrow as stuff comes to me that is more set-in-stone.

Ornyx, don't take this the wrong way, but you've said this before. IIRC, the mega-large Outlaw Rogue thread. You never came back with anything, and though I can't be sure whether that's your doing or your hands being tied, I would argue that you shouldn't make a promise that you can't keep.
... but we are not necessarily ready to talk about the state of every spec at this time...

Why?

What's wrong with being open about your plans and allowing the players their input throughout the redesign process?

What's stopping CMs from stepping in once in a while with a simple acknowledgment? "We don't have answers yet, but we are reading your feedback and working on it" goes a long way.

Silence does not.

Woah hold on. I'm not one of the people touting that fire mages have no weaknesses, but let's not pretend they're not survivable. They're probably the most survivable dps class that doesn't sport a heal, and more survivable than several that do. Total immunity cooldown? Check. Threat dump/get out of pve content free? Check. Health shield? Check. Talent that makes your immunity heal you? Check. Mobility tool? Check.

I don't think fire mages are absolute kings, but come on now let's not be blinded by the tools they have.

No one has time for us I guess...
11/17/2016 11:52 AMPosted by Virus
we are not necessarily ready to talk about the state of every spec at this time

But when the community is a seething mass of frustration don't you think the devs could just step up and talk to people?

Please quit being so dramatic. 99% of the subs are barely aware of the PTR changes and testing plans.

No one owes you any attention for playing this game.