Question About Alexstrasza

General Discussion
No, this isn't a complaint about her choice of garment in human form.

No, my question is about why she's in her human form at all most of the time. She's a dragon, not a human, shouldn't she prefer her own body? And the answer to that question is no, because I know for sure that if I, a human, could turn myself into a dragon at will, I would probably spend most of my life as a god damned dragon and turn myself into one at every opportunity I could. And a person for whom being a dragon is completely normal and non-special, would probably treat the possibility of turning herself into a human the same damned way, leading to the realization that the answer to the question why dragons in WoW are always turning themselves into humans when they could be dragons instead, is not because they find it easier to interact with us like that, but instead because to them, being a dragon is boring and being a humanoid is god damned awesome enough that they're going to do it whenever they have an excuse.
"minor rant" hah
Space concerns and to not intimidate the people she deals with, I'd think. Also for all we know she DOES spend most of her time in dragon form and just shows up as a humanoid (elf?) at certain times to communicate more easily/effectively with us. It's not like she's literally standing at the top of Wyrmrest forever. That's just game mechanics so you can turn quests in.
well Metzen's daughter asked that question about her choice of attire after seeing the cinematic on the Dragon Soul where she is at the Maelstrom. and i'm almost certain one of the perks of being a fire dragon is that you get to keep yourself warm from the cold, so i bet being in the frozen land of Northrend doesn't bother her a whole lot.

as for why she's in human form most of the time, probably because she has no reason to be in dragon form tbh. Wyrmrest temple isn't big enough to hold her in her dragon form (she's pretty much the largest living dragon at this point, and was second only to deathwing and galakrond before) and a lot of times we see her we are in a place that can't handle her full dragon size and normally she is with a few other dragons so they all take on the form that is best suited for the place they are in.
11/16/2016 07:28 AMPosted by Lascielle
Space concerns and to not intimidate the people she deals with, I'd think. Also for all we know she DOES spend most of her time in dragon form and just shows up as a humanoid (elf?) at certain times to communicate more easily/effectively with us. It's not like she's literally standing at the top of Wyrmrest forever. That's just game mechanics so you can turn quests in.

So you think what happens is that Alexstrasza spends most of her time doing other stuff as a Dragon, say, in the Ruby Sanctum where it might be warm then somehow gets word that a dying Crusader in Icecrown just sent me to look for a cure for the plague from her, and so instead of going to the flight path to greet me as I arrive, she instead travels all the way to the top of the tower, to make me go all the way up to the top of the tower, because that place is literally her throne room with representatives from every other Dragonflight, making the top of that tower the dragon equivalent of the House of Commons, and that tower is essentially the Dragon capitol city akin to Washington D.C, making your assertion akin to the suggestion that Varian being located in Stormwind Keep doesn't mean he spends almost all of his time there or even in Stormwind but is in fact often all over the world and the fact he's in Stormwind Keep all the time is just a gameplay mechanic so I know where to find him for quests.
11/16/2016 07:31 AMPosted by Nemetzli
well Metzen's daughter asked that question about her choice of attire after seeing the cinematic on the Dragon Soul where she is at the Maelstrom. and i'm almost certain one of the perks of being a fire dragon is that you get to keep yourself warm from the cold, so i bet being in the frozen land of Northrend doesn't bother her a whole lot.

as for why she's in human form most of the time, probably because she has no reason to be in dragon form tbh. Wyrmrest temple isn't big enough to hold her in her dragon form (she's pretty much the largest living dragon at this point, and was second only to deathwing and galakrond before) and a lot of times we see her we are in a place that can't handle her full dragon size and normally she is with a few other dragons so they all take on the form that is best suited for the place they are in.

^^This. It's easily explainable. She's a red dragon, she's not a human; she doesnt get cold. Dragons choose their humanoid form for a range of reasons. Size of the dragon, convenience, subterfuge, amusement, etc.

Don't ruin this thread for me with facts and logical inferences that disprove my entire argument. I found a way to legitimately say the words, "being a dragon is boring" without using any negative modifiers and have it be true, let me have this.

Also, I'm going to remove most of my first paragraph, since following a statement that, "I'm not going to talk about this" with a long paragraph talking about that exact thing I said I wasn't going to talk about, would make Politifacts' job really easy as they can prove it false by checking it against itself. And when something I say proves itself wrong to the point a fact-checker wouldn't need to check any reference to declare it "pants-on-fire false", there's something wrong with what I just said.

Probably. Obviously if all those NPCs were in dragon form that room would be a clusterfeth of clipping. As anyone who's tried to buy stuff from the quartermaster at the wrong time can imagine, if one person turning into a dragon is enough to ruin someone's day due to the space requirements, all of them turning into dragons is going to stop anyone from moving as the entire platform will be filled with dragon, like a dragon mosh pit or something.

I still like my theory that to dragons, being a dragon isn't as cool as turning into a humanoid because to a dragon, being a dragon is boring since it's so normal. The two aren't really contradictory though, since obviously Wyrmrest Temple has space requirements, but still dragons like to turn into humanoids a lot, even when there's plenty of space to exist in as a dragon.
11/16/2016 07:36 AMPosted by Pouncey
she instead travels all the way to the top of the tower

It's like you're complaining just to complain.
If you weren't /kiss ing at her during DS you weren't playing the game right.
11/16/2016 07:45 AMPosted by Lyice
she instead travels all the way to the top of the tower

It's like you're complaining just to complain.

I'm not really complaining.

I'm suggesting a reason why dragons might choose to be in humanoid forms all the time.
Just remember, while there are scantily clad women in WoW there are literally no sexual references. There is no flirting, there are no innuendos, nothing.
11/16/2016 07:41 AMPosted by Dîomedes

^^This. It's easily explainable. She's a red dragon, she's not a human; she doesnt get cold. Dragons choose their humanoid form for a range of reasons. Size of the dragon, convenience, subterfuge, amusement, etc.

Just to be clear, my partner's RP character has enough temperature resistance and control over his internal temperature that the fact a creature is literally made of lava is not something that would dissuade him from hugging her tightly and he has a natural immunity to being shot with an anti-tank rocket that creates a plasma stream.

He still wears normal clothes most of the time.
11/16/2016 07:55 AMPosted by Dîomedes
Just remember, while there are scantily clad women in WoW there are literally no sexual references. There is no flirting, there are no innuendos, nothing.

Warcraft has all of those things. Along with gay people and an NPC who would probably qualify as transspecies - Chromie.
11/16/2016 07:56 AMPosted by Pouncey

Thats his choice. As is Alex's choice to stand out more than him. It's called "peacocking" and has nothing to do with sex or sexual image. Its about being the Alpha.

11/16/2016 07:58 AMPosted by Pouncey
Warcraft has all of those things. Along with gay people and an NPC who would probably qualify as transspecies - Chromie.

You can look into these things all you want. Ive been playing for 8 years and I've never run into a time when I thought a character wanted to have sex with mine.
I imagine dragons see their humanoid forms as a "conversation pose". This whole talking thing is something easier and more natural for little humanoids with emotive faces and throats adapted for sound than giant fire-breathing lizards more adapted to unleashing destruction. So at some point I suspect they just got used to shrinking down to chat and eventually even just chatting amongst other dragons it just because the cultural norm.
11/16/2016 07:28 AMPosted by Lascielle

So you think what happens is that Alexstrasza spends most of her time doing other stuff as a Dragon, say, in the Ruby Sanctum where it might be warm then somehow gets word that a dying Crusader in Icecrown just sent me to look for a cure for the plague from her, and so instead of going to the flight path to greet me as I arrive, she instead travels all the way to the top of the tower, to make me go all the way up to the top of the tower, because that place is literally her throne room with representatives from every other Dragonflight, making the top of that tower the dragon equivalent of the House of Commons, and that tower is essentially the Dragon capitol city akin to Washington D.C, making your assertion akin to the suggestion that Varian being located in Stormwind Keep doesn't mean he spends almost all of his time there or even in Stormwind but is in fact often all over the world and the fact he's in Stormwind Keep all the time is just a gameplay mechanic so I know where to find him for quests.

I imagine a creature with her abilities probably just teleports up there or something. Maybe it's just a very realistic hologram of her you're actually conversing with. Maybe she NEVER is in human form and that's all an illusion.
It's easier being human size.

Or maybe that humanoid form is part of her and not just a disguise. her bigger size can also lead to eating more, and human form disables the reptilian's disadvantages.

Or she likes the horny looks of the people serving her. Or having more possibilities with her consort. You know, it's not like she has a lot of positions to choose in her dragon form.

Or maybe there are other reasons only Blizzard knows. But humanoid forms are often more appealing than full monsters.

Like, imagine Taurens being 4 legged.
You have to admit she has a much nicer butt in humanoid form vs dragon form. I can't get enthused about scales, sorry Pouncey.
I'd say that when we're not around and it's just her and her kin, she's probably in dragon form. To us she appears to be in humanoid form most of the time because she chooses that form so she won't intimidate the !@#$ out of us mere mortals (remember, the red flight is friendly towards the mortal races). After we leave, I imagine she reverts back to normal until someone tells her "My Queen, another puny mortal with a quest comes this way!"
11/16/2016 07:56 AMPosted by Pouncey
Just to be clear, my partner's RP character has enough temperature resistance and control over his internal temperature that the fact a creature is literally made of lava is not something that would dissuade him from hugging her tightly and he has a natural immunity to being shot with an anti-tank rocket that creates a plasma stream.

but is your RP partner a literal dragon? Alextrasza is a dragon and thus does not conform to the ideals of human/elf standard of clothing.

also in most recent events of the Cataclysm, she and all the other dragons lost a lot of their power so it's highly possible now that she stays in elf form to conserve what power she has left (unless being in elf form consumes power that is, then she'd probably be in her natural dragon form i'd assume. idk, we need red shirt guy here)