4 Legendary "soft cap": Why Blizz?

General Discussion
1 2 3 27 Next
I was reading this thread and became pretty distraught after seeing this excerpt from it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/5ei76r/statement_about_helya_situation_and_some_other/

2) "4 legendaries softcap". I know that Devs stated more than once that there's none such a thing like "softcap", but it's definetly currently ingame. For sure, there are persons with 5 (or even 8) legendaries, howeve i assume most of them due to early bug, that helped you to get many legendaries if you got your 1st one at the start of the expansion. In fact, even the guy (or guys) who made 1340 M+ dungeons on his character still has 4 legendaries, which is more than enough of a proof. Currently, such softcap leads to some totally idiotic things, raiders (including mine) are forced to do. Got 4 legendaries on your class and they're all terrible? Got 4 legendaries for "Fire" spec and now it's useless, so you need Arcane ones? Missing one that is crucial for your gameplay?
The answer to ALL of those questions is simple - go on and create new character, level it to 110 and good luck this time. That's the ONLY choice right now for you, otherwise good luck with your useless ones.

I currently have 3 legendaries, and I play a lot (over 50 hours a week due to only working part-time atm and only weekends). I'm currently only trying to 'fish' for DPS legendaries for Arms, what happens when I get another? Am I too going to be SOL? I understand the playerbase who reads this might have a crab-in-the-bucket look towards me for having X-more legendaries than them but I have been granted these by constantly doing content to grant them. I feel awful for the real hardcore mythic raiders who treat WoW like their life 1-3 times a year in prep for raid tiers and have to deal with stuff like this.

So my question remains. WHY? There's already an equip cap, why put a soft cap on available legendaries we can earn on a character? That seriously bothers me and makes me not want to play on my main since I feel like I'd be avoiding focus on it outside of earning AP.

Edit: Fwiw on Feb/5th I acquired Legendary#5 on my main.
The number one AP guy on Wowprogress has down something close to 1350 Mythic + dungeons and he still has 4 legendaries. He also said the they all came pretty close to each other near the start and then he's gotten none since like run 700 or so.

I'm already at "strike 3", does that mean I'm going to have to reroll when my last legendary comes up as a Justice Gaze?
Better hope I get Whispers of the Nathrezim before they put even more in the pool in 7.1.5. :|
I think his 3 sided die is broken. I guess Blizzard does not consider going 700 m+ dungeons to be "extremely bad luck". Perhaps a dev would have some input on how its possible to go that many dungeons and raids without seeing a drop. I can't wait to hear this one
I'd wager this is something that Blizzard will turn on as the expansion continues. Meaning that post 7.2, we will magically see players get more than 4 legendaries without any patch notes.
Like how the week after they said Bad Luck Protection is a thing and to "just do more content", everyone in your guild magically got their first legendary, and some got their second very shortly after?
11/23/2016 12:46 PMPosted by Steinarr
I'd wager this is something that Blizzard will turn on as the expansion continues. Meaning that post 7.2, we will magically see players get more than 4 legendaries without any patch notes.

You probably aren't wrong but then the question is, why have it in the first place?! Why are people feeling the need to reroll after they get Magnum Opus and whatever other garbage legendaries their spec gets? This just makes the legendary system feel punishing, not rewarding.
What I don't get is why you can get the same legendary more than once.

Like, the "soft cap" might not be so bad if people weren't getting that one useless amulet 3 times in a row.
So.....what happens when you get 4 legendaries for a single spec and then decide you want to start playing a different spec? Are you SOL? I just leveled my holy paladin up and will eventually want to dabble as prot. If i get 4 holy legendaries will i never get any prot ones?
11/23/2016 12:24 PMPosted by Vivec
I was reading this thread and became pretty distraught after seeing this excerpt from it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/5ei76r/statement_about_helya_situation_and_some_other/

2) "4 legendaries softcap". I know that Devs stated more than once that there's none such a thing like "softcap", but it's definetly currently ingame. For sure, there are persons with 5 (or even 8) legendaries, howeve i assume most of them due to early bug, that helped you to get many legendaries if you got your 1st one at the start of the expansion. In fact, even the guy (or guys) who made 1340 M+ dungeons on his character still has 4 legendaries, which is more than enough of a proof. Currently, such softcap leads to some totally idiotic things, raiders (including mine) are forced to do. Got 4 legendaries on your class and they're all terrible? Got 4 legendaries for "Fire" spec and now it's useless, so you need Arcane ones? Missing one that is crucial for your gameplay?
The answer to ALL of those questions is simple - go on and create new character, level it to 110 and good luck this time. That's the ONLY choice right now for you, otherwise good luck with your useless ones.

I currently have 3 legendaries, and I play a lot (over 50 hours a week due to only working part-time atm and only weekends). I'm currently only trying to 'fish' for DPS legendaries for Arms, what happens when I get another? Am I too going to be SOL? I understand the playerbase who reads this might have a crab-in-the-bucket look towards me for having X-more legendaries than them but I have been granted these by constantly doing content to grant them. I feel awful for the real hardcore mythic raiders who treat WoW like their life 1-3 times a year in prep for raid tiers and have to deal with stuff like this.

So my question remains. WHY? There's already an equip cap, why put a soft cap on available legendaries we can earn on a character? That seriously bothers me and makes me not want to play on my main since I feel like I'd be avoiding focus on it outside of earning AP.

If you're at 4 and you delete one of them are you eligible to receive another? I only have 1 but I'm just curious.

Also if there is a soft cap at least they should make it per spec. That way if you cap out on one you could gear out another spec instead of funning 600 Mythic +s for no gear.
11/23/2016 12:49 PMPosted by Cantaloupe
What I don't get is why you can get the same legendary more than once.

Like, the "soft cap" might not be so bad if people weren't getting that one useless amulet 3 times in a row.

This isn't happening really and Blizzard is refunding different legendaries to the extreme minority that have bugged out. No one has 3 Prydaz on one character.
I know that Devs stated more than once that there's none such a thing like "softcap"

For sure, there are persons with 5 (or even 8) legendaries, howeve i assume most of them due to early bug

Where exactly is there any evidence that a soft-cap exists? This is a person's opinion based on anecdotal evidence in which they've chosen to exclude all exceptions.

(I'd be more likely to suspect that at 3-4 legendaries any "bad luck protection" concept is no longer going to kick in - than to think there's some arbitrary limitation the Devs have specifically said does not exist.)
Odds of 0 Legendary in 500 consecutive chances assuming a fixed % chance with no "bad luck protection" for players who already have 4 or more:

1 in 100 drop rate - 0.7% chance of none
1 in 200 drop rate - 8.2%
1 in 500 drop rate - 36.8%
1 in 1000 drop rate - 60.6%
1 in 2000 drop rate - 77.9%
1 in 5000 drop rate - 90.5%

So if around 3 out of 4 are going 500 straight without then the odds of Mythic+ dropping a Legendary if you already have 4 is likely around 1 in 2000. If it's around 9 out of 10 without then 1 in 5000 is more likely.

Good news for most players is that even if that's accurate current drop rate it's entirely possible that number will change over time and most players are a long way off from completing their 500th Mythic+ run.

One person going ~650 Mythic+ runs, some raids and whatever else without getting a Legendary is proof of nothing, even with a 0.5% chance around 1 in 26 people wouldn't get any in 650 runs.
I feel bad for the pure dps specs that are rerolling to another spec now that 7.1.5 has changed so much, despite blizzard saying the spec hierarchy within classes won't change throughout the expac.

If you have 4 legendaries for a nerfed spec then "bad luck, it's just rng".
Thank you for this thread on the forums. Here's hoping to an official response.

I've been railing on this topic on MMO-Champ and it's a huge issue. There's lots of data to back up the existence of the 4 legendary soft-cap. Unfortunately, a lot of meaningful discussion around it has not occurred due to a lot of angsty WoW players hijacking the topic and turning it into a "!@#$ ur lucky to have 4 legendaries!" sound board.
11/23/2016 12:37 PMPosted by Krothare
The number one AP guy on Wowprogress has down something close to 1350 Mythic + dungeons and he still has 4 legendaries. He also said the they all came pretty close to each other near the start and then he's gotten none since like run 700 or so.

Can i borrow like 1/10 of his free time, thanx :)
11/23/2016 12:49 PMPosted by Varenthir
So.....what happens when you get 4 legendaries for a single spec and then decide you want to start playing a different spec? Are you SOL? I just leveled my holy paladin up and will eventually want to dabble as prot. If i get 4 holy legendaries will i never get any prot ones?
Bingo. If you get 4 holy legendaries and want to switch specs, you have to make a new character. If you don't, you're losing access to items that the spec is balanced and designed around.
This is... retarded.

I can't say anything else. And I only have 1 legendary, the ultra super hamburguer amazing Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus.
11/23/2016 01:03 PMPosted by Wariya
11/23/2016 12:37 PMPosted by Krothare

Can i borrow like 1/10 of his free time, thanx :)

Low level Mythic Maw is ~10 minutes, even if doing other dungeons and some higher level versions pushed that up to ~15 minutes average that's around 30 hours a week.

If you need to borrow to get 3 hours of free time a week you lead a very busy life.
How did 30 translate to 3?