Class design, I often wonder...

General Discussion
I often wonder what this game would look like if the Cataclysm revamps never happened, if Blizzard never enacted the policy of ripping apart and redesigning classes every expansion, and just continued to build upon and balance what each class already had... And honestly, I imagine it far, far better than what we have now...

Continuously working with the same base skillset on each class over time, they tweak and tweak, and classes gets closer and closer to true balance because no one is throwing a wrench (or 7) into the works and completely resetting everything every 2-3 years... No unnecessary pruning of iconic class abilities...

I want that, I want classes to not be demolished and rebuilt into things that hardly represent their former selves every expansion... I want to not worry about the next expansion rolling around and having my favorite class or spec be shattered and rebuilt into something I don't even recognize anymore...

Can we get that, please?
I try not to think of the gameplay prior to cataclysm, because every time I do I get depressed.