Fire Mages in 7.1.5, can we get dialog?

General Discussion
1 2 3 10 Next
Preface - This is not about Fires power in 7.0 or what it's potentially relative power will be in 7.1.5, this is all gameplay and mechanics.

With Blizzcon and the QA well out of the picture now, and with 7.1.5 being on the PTR. We feel like even know we had some changes coming our way, we were straight lied to from the onset.

On multiple occasions, it was stated that there would be "no core mechanic changes as those are expansion level of changes".

A quick highlight of some of the changes currently being pushed onto the PTR -

ROP is being nerfed to 40% power
Combustion is only going to convert 50% of crit into Mastery
Fire Blast is losing a charge
Flame On is being changed to grant 1 additional charge of fire blast and reducing the cooldown by 3 seconds as opposed to instantly granting 2 charges of Fire Blast
Ice Flows is now Frost only

So mechanically, Fire was a mobile top heavy burst class. These changes, heavily reduce our burst and what will likely come on the PTR is outright buffs to our core spells to change Fire from what was a burst spec into a more sustained spec.

Why is this the case? Why are we receiving expansion level changes in the middle of the first major tier cycle of an expansion? Why is what is being proposed completely flipping Fires strengths and weaknesses?

There is no information out right now if Fire with these changes will be the most OP spec in the game, or if it will be the worst spec in the game. The question that I, and many other Fire mages would like an answer or response to is why are there such heavy game-play and mechanics changes.
It sounds like the intention is to give us better sustainability without the reliance on that little burst window we have. I'm okay with this, it would be nice to have our dmg spread out more evenly for long fights.
You forgot the bracer nerfs aswell, good luck getting a 4.5 sec cast off without having to move out of your rune/random aoe/do a mechanic without ice flows.
Hopefully they will release more changes, as of right now its looking grim.
I also do not approve of these and several other massive gameplay altering changes.

RIP Fingers of Frost charges

I guess I should be glad there weren't any brewmaster changes now...
Wow I really thought they were going to make ice floes baseline for all mages, considering it is taken on nearly 100% of cases.

Instead...they're removing it?

Why...?
All these *changes* are nerf. It's so retarded to change how a spec play THIS MUCH in the middle of an expac.

11/15/2016 02:19 PMPosted by Riisi
Wow I really thought they were going to make ice floes baseline for all mages, considering it is taken on nearly 100% of cases.

Why...?

Same reason they nerfed RoP. Because instead of buffing class they nerf everything lol.
11/15/2016 01:55 PMPosted by Disagreed
Preface - This is not about Fires power in 7.0 or what it's potentially relative power will be in 7.1.5, this is all gameplay and mechanics.

With Blizzcon and the QA well out of the picture now, and with 7.1.5 being on the PTR. We feel like even know we had some changes coming our way, we were straight lied to from the onset.

On multiple occasions, it was stated that there would be "no core mechanic changes as those are expansion level of changes".

A quick highlight of some of the changes currently being pushed onto the PTR -

ROP is being nerfed to 40% power
Combustion is only going to convert 50% of crit into Mastery
Fire Blast is losing a charge
Flame On is being changed to grant 1 additional charge of fire blast and reducing the cooldown by 3 seconds as opposed to instantly granting 2 charges of Fire Blast
Ice Flows is now Frost only

So mechanically, Fire was a mobile top heavy burst class. These changes, heavily reduce our burst and what will likely come on the PTR is outright buffs to our core spells to change Fire from what was a burst spec into a more sustained spec.

Why is this the case? Why are we receiving expansion level changes in the middle of the first major tier cycle of an expansion? Why is what is being proposed completely flipping Fires strengths and weaknesses?

There is no information out right now if Fire with these changes will be the most OP spec in the game, or if it will be the worst spec in the game. The question that I, and many other Fire mages would like an answer or response to is why are there such heavy game-play and mechanics changes.

Urf.

This will SEVERELY diminish the DPS of Fire.

Not liking it one bit.
I don't mind the nerf as much as the "We've changed how your class plays. GL" that mages and MM hunters are getting (not familiar enough with all specs to know about the rest)
Don't forget to mention they are making the bracers basically useless and a DPS loss unless you cast it on an ROP.
I love how mages are living in their own little magic world.
dude... what? the spec has been dominating the game since launch, and the second PTR notes come out changing some stuff you "want dialog"?

this is what happens when people reroll FOTM...
11/15/2016 02:23 PMPosted by Nainsell
Don't forget to mention they are making the bracers basically useless and a DPS loss unless you cast it on an ROP.

They buffed them in beta from 250 -> 300% because it wasn't worth casting. Interesting to see them change it to 200%.
"no core mechanic changes as those are expansion level of changes".

no... the core mechanic of fire is "crits = insta pyros"
that's the core mechanic.

your mobility comes from a talent, which shouldn't have been created in the first place. fire's mobility came from casting scorch, they're bringing it back.
11/15/2016 02:26 PMPosted by Kyzunna
dude... what? the spec has been dominating the game since launch, and the second PTR notes come out changing some stuff you "want dialog"?

this is what happens when people reroll FOTM...

I play balance, a class that was said "is weak", and then got no buffs.

That being said, I don't like seeing classes that are top get murdered. I thought fire needed a nerf, not an atomic bomb.

Making this many drastic changes is, in my opinion, to much to quickly.
11/15/2016 02:19 PMPosted by Riisi

pretty sure it's now a frost baseline ability... might have misread
11/15/2016 02:26 PMPosted by Kyzunna
dude... what? the spec has been dominating the game since launch,

Um.

What?
So, possibly all the work I put in will be for naught? I thought they weren't going to do things like this because of legendaries, and what's with making ice floes frost only? That's going to affect arc negatively as well and while we still have scorch, it doesn't do as good of damage as fireball.

Why such drastic changes? This bodes concern, especially since we are locked into our specs.
You'll get as much of a dialouge as Outlaw rogues got, I'm sure. :^)

Welcome to the world of almost every other class/spec. Mages are finally feeling the effects of Blizzard's self-contradictions and might actually be knocked off their pedestal of pure bias.

The only thing more ironic about this thread is that mages have likely had more dialogue about their changes than any other class has had.