"Class fantasy"

General Discussion
I find this really ironic that this was the tagline this expansion, when they gutted almost all of the specs and classes so now they all feel pretty similar, or even the same.

I feel like Blizzard keeps picking ironic taglines or something to meme us. Last expansion it was all about this "savage" world that we didn't experience because we spent all of our time in our garrisons. Now it's all about "class fantasy", and I will admit they added cool new animations and the artifact weapons and class halls are really nice, too. But the way the classes play is anything but falling under the term "class fantasy". It's like they've taken all of that away this expansion, honestly. It used to be you'd pick a class based on how you enjoyed playing the game and how said class played differently from the other classes. But now it feels more like I'm just picking classes based on how they look, really, and that's about it. Because they are all so similar now and lack so much depth that they used to have. It'd be nice to get that back, and I hope the coming patches do just that.
Give an example.
Because I feel the class fantasy is one of the things they actually did right. Note that class fantasy is way different than balance and playstyle. There are some classes who have specs where the fantasy is spot on, but the playstyle and/or balance is crap now.
A common compliant over the last few years is that specs, especially pure dps specs, played much too similarly to each other. Especially hunters and rogues.

So, do you really feel that the theme and way MM, BM, and survival play now is much more the same now than pre-Legion?

I can agree with perhaps the prune went to far, but I think this expansion has done the most for spec uniqueness ever in this game.
11/21/2016 04:09 PMPosted by Moonskin
Give an example.
Because I feel the class fantasy is one of the things they actually did right. Note that class fantasy is way different than balance and playstyle. There are some classes who have specs where the fantasy is spot on, but the playstyle and/or balance is crap now.

MM Huneter, Class Fantasy: Shadowy Sniper (modeled after Sylvanas) With awful mobility, poor single target damage. The spec is 100% backwards. The hard hitting shots are instant and our casted shots hit for garbage. And, apparently Shadow Snipers shoot snakes and cartoon rockets from a bow.

Survival Hunter Class Fantasy. Rugged, tough outdoors man able to survive the harshest of conditions. Welp, Survival, ironically enough is the squishest spec in the game.

From someone that has mained Hunter since BC, the Hunter class fantasy in legion is truly horrendous.
Give an example.

MM Hunter

Fantasy: A stealthy sniper, you attack with deadly accuracy from the shadows.

Reality: You are a drunken redneck with an AK-47 that shotgun sprays everything in sight, often pulling mobs and bosses through walls. Your STD is sh!t and you do not have shadows from which to attack unless you talent it.
Give an example.

I think there's several areas where class fantasy doesn't feel that different between the classes.

Elemental Shaman, Enhancement Shaman, Balance Druid, and Shadow Priest are all "Builder-Spender" type specs, where you don't have a resource that ticks down as you fight (Mana), but you build up a resource (Maelstrom, Astral Power, Insanity) that you can then spend on heavy hitting abilities.

They all play functionally the same: You use crappy abilities that barely tickle the mob to build up enough power to use a real heavy hitting ability. It's not fun or engaging to switch between any of these classes, so I'd say you pick the one that looks the most aesthetically pleasing.
Class fantasy is just the buzz word they came up with to distract you from the evisceration they did to all the classes.
The thing is, in "enhancing" class fantasy, they really ruined it for a whole lot of specs. and even completely destroyed it in some instances.

The "ALL FROST ALL THE TIME FOREVER AND EVERYTHING!" was never my idea of the Frost DK. I don't even like the theme of Frost - Frost is for Liches, not Death Knights. I just like (liked) the playstyle was all.

Now I've gone from a Death Knight to Frosty the Snowknight and it really bites.
I think they used "class" fantasy when they really meant spec fantasy.

As a druid shapeshifting is core to my class fantasy. In Legion, I not only have forgotten how to shapeshift into my bird form (again), I also no longer know how to fight when I shift forms anymore. Not even basic skills that a novice druid should know. And no this affinity crap does not make up for it as there are still 2 forms I am useless in.

So while some specs are nice, core abilities of most, if not all, classes have been removed when they should in fact be baseline for all specs.
Give an example.

I feel like Holy Priest is something where instead of actually missing the point of class fantasy it feels like they just kind of forgot that class fantasy was supposed to be a thing this expansion when they were working on Holy. Chakra's were basically THE THING about Holy Priest and those are straight up gone. Tbh I don't know what the current Holy Priest class fantasy is supposed to be.

There's some neat Naaru things for Holy but I don't understand what we're supposed to be. Do we have a special connection with the Naaru that let's us...be more holy? Our artifact ability (it's a proc so not much of an ability) summons a little Naaru thing to duplicate our spells but it has essentially zero impact on our healing nor does it change anything about how we play or what we cast when it's out. So it doesn't really ever feel like we're "Channeling the holy light of the Naaru" or some BS like that as our class fantasy.
#notmyfantasy
"Class fantasy" was a buzzword blizzard invented and sold to us so we'd consent to having our classes and specs pruned and gutted into a hollow shell of their former glory.

Wow players: blizz, why have you removed 75% of my abilities, why does my rogue no longer have blind and my hunter no longer have traps, what happened to my iconic moves?

Blizz: errr, umm, well you see umm , CLASS FANTASY, just wait and see, classes will be better then ever!
You'll feel the class fantasy soon, just another 2 years and weekly nerfs/buffs and we promise you'll feel it and love it.

Me: this sucks, my class feels like it could be played by an 8 year old using his toes, I'm unsubbing.
I fully agree with you Spirit - I want my Chakras back.

I'm honestly fine with *some* of the pruning - I get it that button bloat was a thing for some. Like, I don't need 2 types of direct target healing spells - one that's quick but expensive and the other is slow but cheap. That never worked right anyway. I spammed Flash Heal and never ran out of mana, no matter what I did. I just needed 1 direct target healing spell.

I do like the idea of class fantasy, but it truly is better said as Spec Fantasy. Hopefully as this expansion progresses, we'll see these fleshed out more, and class balancing (where the huge issue is right now) done up better.
Class Fantasy what was promised at launch.
Class: Warrior
Spec: Fury
Hype: Raging Beserker
Reality: Takes 30% more damage to do some of the lowest dps in game.
Awesome Job at that one Bliz.
Give an example.

All the hunter specs are broken. BM arguably has the correct "spec fantasy", but it's missing traps (which they're remedying). A marksman hunter is apparently the equivalent of an entire battalion of archers. You know those movie scenes where the skies go dark with arrows? That's a single marksman. But against a single target, it's equivalent to a star wars stormtrooper.

Holy priest has no idea what it's doing. Hell, look at their main artifact weapon ability. The hell is that?

Part of the warlocks class fantasy went to DHs (Did you know warlocks can't speak demonic anymore? The class about enslaving demons just up and forgot how to talk to their pets, I guess). Not to mention metamorphosis (although that really does make more sense on DHs). They also just gutted all the pets and stuff.
Stop misusing the term "irony."
Give an example.

An assassination rogue that can't blind or gouge.
Was told we would be "slow but feel good in range"
Had our mobility stripped
Had our utility stripped
And while they were at it they took our ability to dps

Then we we began to show proof that unholy wasn't scaling, was behind in every raid fight they did what they do to everyone not a mage, completely ignored us.

Thanks for killing unholy!
11/21/2016 04:31 PMPosted by Valynx
Now I've gone from a Death Knight to Frosty the Snowknight and it really bites.

Would you say that it...frostbites?
11/21/2016 05:33 PMPosted by Warstrike
Class Fantasy what was promised at launch.
Class: Warrior
Spec: Fury
Hype: Raging Beserker
Reality: Takes 30% more damage to do some of the lowest dps in game.
Awesome Job at that one Bliz.

What are you talking about we got the best animation for tantrums!
..er I mean rampage..

but seriously doesn't make sense how our builder is our hardest hitting move and our most expensive spender is sub par.