TIL it's been 52 months...

General Discussion
TIL it's been 52 months since the "Appear Offline" option was supposed to be launched in the "coming months", setting the record for the longest "coming months" of all time.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/7315729/appear-offline-option-coming-soon-to-battle-net <--- post from September 2012

Soon™
....and there have been 52 * 4 = 208 threads with this reminder...
Blizzard lies to its playerbase, more news at 11.
I wish this was a thing for a few reasons

1. Playing another Blizz game, guild members from WoW see im playing and spam me to come play WoW

2. Want to level alts and just have fun, friends or guild members see i'm online and spam me to come play

3. Tell my friends/guild members I'm done playing for the night after a long days playing on my main with them doing raids/pvp etc..... when really I just want to work on my alts in peace without being bugged.

If I could appear offline and keep playing none of these would be issues.
It'll be a thing after Snapchat integration, video chat, and classes get balanced.
Technically speaking the option is in the bnet app so they weren't lying...

That being said when blizzard says soon all they are saying is that it will be added to the game before the end of time.

Source: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Soon
01/08/2017 01:06 PMPosted by Bradpittlord
If I could appear offline and keep playing none of these would be issues.

I think a great reason for appear offline that I heard was if you have friends on battle.net who are also your co-workers or just reallife friends.

You call in sick to work, or blow them off cause you don't feel like going out.. but then they see you're online on battle.net.. Apparently just because you're sick (even if you honestly are), means you're suppose to also be incapable of using the internet or play a game; or just because you weren't in the mood to go out, means you're also not allowed to play a Blizzard game.

In general, the offline feature is just nice for when you want to play a game like WoW, Diablo, Starcraft, Hearthstone, Overwatch, etc without being seen and bugged by your friends when you don't feel quite social today and just want some alone time to get things done at your own pace without any social distractions.
good lord, that's a month after I started playing.
01/08/2017 01:09 PMPosted by Ganonndorf
Technically speaking the option is in the bnet app so they weren't lying...

Logging off (going offline) isn't the same as "appear offline" (still online)

Because on the battle.net client there's only Online, Away, Busy, and Log Off. so even "technically" the option isn't there. Because if you do choose logoff, it boots you out of the game launcher portion of battle.net client and you only see the log in screen and unable to choose a game to play.
Nope, player housing has been longer.
1. Playing another Blizz game, guild members from WoW see im playing and spam me to come play WoW

no, I am having blast playing X. Maybe later

2. Want to level alts and just have fun, friends or guild members see i'm online and spam me to come play

nah man, I'm trying out/leveling this guy out, I'm done for the day/night with CLASS

3. Tell my friends/guild members I'm done playing for the night after a long days playing on my main with them doing raids/pvp etc..... when really I just want to work on my alts in peace without being bugged.

Same as 2.

I really can't understand why it is so hard for people to say 'no' and stand firm on that, considering that is way easier as you don't have that person right in front of you. I mean, how do even manage to function in real life if you are somehow intimidated or unable to stand by your own decisions?

I'm not trying to troll your thread or insult anyone here that wants this, I get that Blizz indicated that they would be implementing this 'mode' but the approach to this subject I have seen here in GD is that people wants this feature just 'to hide' from other people that plays the same game because, somehow, they 'lose their balls' the moment they logon and become unable to make a decision and stand by it.

If you don't feel like interacting with someone or want to be off the grid for a bit, it is fine to feel that way, I just don't see the problem on communicating that feeling over someone in the internet.
....and there have been 52 * 4 = 208 threads with this reminder...

Actually its been several HUNDRED threads here alone with thousands of posts, not to mention everywhere else.

Appear Offline is a privacy QOL tool that every other platform incldding STEAM has been able to do for decades, back to and including old chat system features (remember AOL messenger?)

BNET is cross platform, covers all their games, none of which are MMO's, so i dont see why this hasnt been implemented. That the "technical issues" they talked about havent been solved in four years is even more baffling..n ot to mention why it is this BNET system was launched without that feature in the first place.

Starcraft
D3
HOTS
Overwatch
Hearthstone

arent MMO's.

"You just want to hide from your friends" - yeah and you never EVER leave your phone on answering machine do you?

"Its hard to appear offline and then he sees you at the auction house" If I am playing Starcraft or D3 I kinda dont see how that will happen, do you?

"You dont need this" yeah I do, you dont like it , dont use it.

So we keep asking...where is it?

BTW I have Starcraft. I have D3. I have Hearthstone. I dont play them because of the intrusive and invasive BNET system that broadcasts to everyone what ganes I have and where I am all the time.
01/08/2017 01:15 PMPosted by Braniel
Nope, player housing has been longer.

Not really, other than showing some housing during the alpha development of WoW back in 2003, Blizzard never stated they will bring player housing into the game, definately never stated "coming soon™...", and in fact they have stated in response to players asking for it over and over during 2010: "Housing will be introduced to World of Warcraft some time right after never".
I really can't understand why it is so hard for people to say 'no' and stand firm on that, considering that is way easier as you don't have that person right in front of you. I mean, how do even manage to function in real life if you are somehow intimidated or unable to stand by your own decisions?

For one thing we have ALREADY been interrupted in our gameplay.

I'm not trying to troll your thread or insult anyone here that wants this, I get that Blizz indicated that they would be implementing this 'mode'
\

They didnt "indicate it" they ANNOUNCED IT as in "this is coming". And then didnt do what they said they would do.

but the approach to this subject I have seen here in GD is that people wants this feature just 'to hide' from other people that plays the same game because,

Its a basic privacy feature that is provided in EVERY OTHER PLATFORM includng STEAM which has a games community over a hundred times bigger than BNET.

somehow, they 'lose their balls' the moment they logon and become unable to make a decision and stand by it.

And you dont have a voicemail system on your mobile, you never turn your phone off, you dont have an answering machine at home....

If you don't feel like interacting with someone or want to be off the grid for a bit, it is fine to feel that way,

And having to explain yourself is already putting you in an invidious position

"But I need you to come help me level this toon"

"Sorry Im busy"

"You can play that later I need help now"

By which time you are slowly coming to a burn, then look at STEAM anfd think "Hey thats a great idea, I can play there and not be disturbed"

I just don't see the problem on communicating that feeling over someone in the internet.

Peace and quiet. Privacy. Being undisturbed.

"You just dont want your raid team to see you" - I dont want to be bothered..when I am not playing WOW i am not playing WOW, I personally am not IN a raid team, and quite frankly, what i am doing outside of WOW is no ones business but mine.

You dont need to know what i am playing.

You dont need to know what I am doing.

You dont need to know where I am.

I am not in WOW and as far as you know I am offline.
01/08/2017 01:22 PMPosted by Aehl
"You just want to hide from your friends" - yeah and you never EVER leave your phone on answering machine do you?

? I just ignore it. I do exactly the same thing in STEAM, pop up comes up, I see the blinking icon in my desk... ignored, eventually they 'get' the message.

Should I open the pop up and tell the person off? Yes, but I rather reserve that option for someone that is pestering me. Even if that is the case and I wanted to be nice and tell that person off, I can just tell them 'hey, I am playing X or doing Y for a bit so I can't do Z with you right now'.
01/08/2017 01:29 PMPosted by Aehl
For one thing we have ALREADY been interrupted in our gameplay.

A one liner pop up in your chat hardly is a interruption unless you were not already paying attention to the game itself.

And you dont have a voicemail system on your mobile, you never turn your phpne off, you dont have an answering machine at home....

I do have a VM, but I don't get the point of bring it up. Even if I didnt have a VM, I could just ignore the call. If I was somehow obligated to answer the phone, well, the obvious thing to do would be to say 'no, I am not available right now to do X with you'. (I don't have a answering machine at home)

And having to explain yourself is alrerady putting you in an invidious position

"But I need you to come help me level this toon"

"Sorry Im busy"

"You can play that later I need help now"

Ok, this one is interesting... how exactly you let yourself be controlled by someone in a game? The follow up to this conversation/reply would be:

"no, I'm busy"

The person in other end of that conversation can take it however he/she wants to take it, who knows, maybe you'd benefit from having a break from this person that seems to have an attitude that the world revolves around them and everything must be done when they say so.
The person in other end of that conversation can take it however he/she wants to take it, who knows, maybe you'd benefit from having a break from this person that seems to have an attitude that the world revolves around them and everything must be done when they say so.

An appear offline system would ensure the situation never arises.

Skype has it.
STEAM has it.
GW2 has it.
Every single chat client has it.
PSNetwork has it.
XBOX has it.
Even Facebook has it. (you know Facebook, one of the biggest social media systems out there today?)
Good lord Myspace even has it
AOL has it

Obviously all of these organisaiotns with their MILLIONS of users recognise a need and a necessity.

So when do we see it?
01/08/2017 01:45 PMPosted by Aehl
An appear offline system would ensure the situation never arises.

I agree with you but it does not resolve the root issue, it only provides a workaround.
I actually havent played wow for the past week just because I didnt want to be bugged like that lol.

Appear offline would be nice but there are other issues to fix first.
01/08/2017 01:48 PMPosted by Arahkan
Appear offline would be nice but there are other issues to fix first.

Other issues are a product of their time and are essentially like pop culture, an issue for only a patch or an expansion then forgotten about as another issue now is the popular issue to complain about and this is neverending and repeats, Because with each new patch and each new expansion, there's always "other issues to fix first" because they are the hot-ticket item for that time..

In reality Blizzard needs to fix these timeless issues, issues and requests that have been ongoing for years and years over multiple expansions... such as an appear offline feature that has been asked for and never delivered upon for nearly a decade now.. Another example is Updated Worgen and Goblin models, and Animation and other wonky issues with worgens.. fixes and updates have been asked for years (literally the same week of their release in cata), but still goes unfixed and ignored to this day, even after all other races got updated in 6.0/6.1, blizzard still would rather update models for things noone asked for (i.e. critters or random mobs) than update worgens.