Latency and Disconnections Related to Modems with Puma 6 Chipset

Technical Support
1 2 3 13 Next
Yes, it may be your modem. Problems with high latency, frequent disconnections, lost packets, and unusual behavior with your gameplay such as characters running in place and spells not completing, etc. may be the result of the Intel Puma 6 chipset in your modem. Here is a partial list of affected modems:

Arris SB6190
Arris TG1672G
Arris TG1682G
Arris TM1602 TM1602a
Super Hub 3 (Arris TG2492LG) (commonly - virgin media)
Hitron CGN3 / CDA / CGNV series modems:
Hitron CDA-32372
Hitron CDE-32372
Hitron CDA3-35
Hitron CGNV4
Hitron CGNM-3552 (commonly - Rogers)
Hitron CGN3 (eg CGN3-ACSMR) 2013 link
Hitron CGNM-2250 (commonly - Shaw)
Linksys CM3024
Linksys CM3016
TP-Link CR7000
Netgear AC1750 C6300 AC1900
Netgear CM700
Telstra Gateway Max (Netgear AC1900 / C6300) (Australia) 2014 link.
Cisco DPC3848V (eg »High latency/ping to Shaw router? )
Cisco/Technicolor DPC3941B / DPC3941T (commonly - Comcast Xfinity XB3)
Cisco DPC3939
Compal CH7465-LG / Arris TG2492LG (commonly - Virgin Media Hub 3)
Samsung "Home Media Server"

Discussion and tools can be found here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

I have been troubleshooting my equipment for weeks trying to determine the cause of a some very unusual behavior with the game. I, like many others, thought it was a bug in the program with this last patch. Now, by the process of elimination, it looks like my Arris SB6190 is the source. It works perfectly when replaced by my older Motorola SB6120. My research brought me to the link posted above. My apologies to Blizzard.
Thanks for the information
So what do those of us with those modems to do to fix the latency issue, are we just boned and have to deal with it? cus if so that sucks :(
01/16/2017 08:18 AMPosted by Berzhurick
So what do those of us with those modems to do to fix the latency issue, are we just boned and have to deal with it? cus if so that sucks :(

By what I have seen Intel is working on a fix. if you have access to a older modem it would most likely fix the issue. Did not have time to read all 30 pages of the article
01/16/2017 07:16 AMPosted by Dorisse
Hitron CGN3

Yep, that's mine. Yep, disconnecting. From Rogers ISP.

Can't even change my modem because Canadian ISPs don't allow that.
01/16/2017 09:19 AMPosted by Neranthil
01/16/2017 07:16 AMPosted by Dorisse
Hitron CGN3

Rodgers does have a puma 7 chipset modem. Not sure if it would fix the issue or not Rogers CODA-4582 modem now available Puma 7 Chipset
01/16/2017 09:29 AMPosted by Northernlite
01/16/2017 09:19 AMPosted by Neranthil

Rodgers does have a puma 7 chipset modem. Not sure if it would fix the issue or not Rogers CODA-4582 modem now available Puma 7 Chipset

I'll try contacting them again. Called a couple days ago to replace my modem but they wouldn't allow it. If this really is the issue, I wouldn't mind outright paying for an upgrade to that puma 7 chipset modem.
01/16/2017 08:18 AMPosted by Berzhurick

Lets cut to the chase, you need another modem. One without this particular chipset. This is indeed a manufacturing defect. If you rent it from your ISP, call them. If you recently purchased it, return it. Claim the warranty otherwise. What's been happening is that this has been showing up as a DNS problem and we get connected to more than one World Server, it seems. So, the program stalls. I have measured latency as high a 3.8 seconds, that just won't do. Good luck!
I am using the ARRIS DG860 and i am experiencing disconnect issues. I wonder if this modem is causing my issue?
Disconnecting from any Blizzard related game and the battle.net app every 2-5 minutes. My modem is on the list above (DPC3941T (commonly - Comcast Xfinity XB3)), any idea when this will be fixed?
help my #1 homie greg plz he is our best shadowpriest we need him for next week
Help my boy greg
Help my boy greg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm having a similar problem to Heartsurgery, please send help.
Hey, all!

If you do happen to have a modem on this list, your best option would be to contact your Internet Service Provider and ask for a replacement that is not on this list. Reading over the topic, it looks like they are still working on a firmware update that would resolve the issue with these modems.
I am on TWC with the Arris TG1672G modem. TWC set me up with two connections to this modem. One they said was faster which is 5g. The other is longer range, but supposedly slower. I am 6 feet from my modem and the 5g was giving me 3000 latency. Switched to the non-5g and latency dropped to 100.

Hope this works for others.
Having similar issues though my router is Netgear N600 Cable Modem Router C3700
01/19/2017 04:17 PMPosted by Ibaraius
Hey, all!

If you do happen to have a modem on this list, your best option would be to contact your Internet Service Provider and ask for a replacement that is not on this list. Reading over the topic, it looks like they are still working on a firmware update that would resolve the issue with these modems.

I have one of these modem/routers but the game has been fine up until 7.1.5... So, is it a modem/router issue, or is it something that changed with patch 7.1.5 which created the issue?
01/19/2017 04:17 PMPosted by Ibaraius
Hey, all!

What if i my ISP does not offer me an option for a replacement ? Wait for a firm update ?

This started when new patch came out, my world/home latency is between 600-800 and sometimes higher. Game is unplayable for me atm, i am going to have to pass on a few raids and lose my raid spot, (again, because this latency issues happened before). I play many other games online and not a single problem.

I would like to know if Blizzard doing ANYTHING ! to fix this problem besides telling people to get a new modem/router . Need to know before cancelling my sub.