Gateway Game

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
After commenting in another thread, it got me really curious as to what everyone's gateway game was? What was the game that got you into video games in general, MMOs or the first game that REALLY got you immersed into the gaming world/culture?

My first game was Runescape, also known as grindfest the MMO. I remember those all nighters with my friend leveling your skills and getting the gear to fight harder mobs to level faster. Something about it just felt amazing. I remember playing lots of the Halo games starting out on the first Halo which got me into FPSs but playing online made me realize that I was not good at them but enjoyed the campaigns.
Myth & Myth 2: The Gathering paved the way.
This was my first MMO. Since then I've tried a bunch of others, but WoW continues to have more content and at a faster cadence.
As far as online games, I started with Tibia. I got into Ragnarok Online for a while after that. Then WoW came along and took my soul. I stopped playing online games in college except for LoL matches. One summer I got back into Tibia, and now WoW is my #1 again.
Ultima Online. Spent hours chopping down trees and making bows to sell for virtually nothing. Oh what fun.
Runescape.

I was the kind of guy who grinded out 99s.

Went back to it when old school first opened up and got my fire cape about a week into it and then quit from being burned out.
12/13/2016 10:17 AMPosted by Enlighten
As far as online games, I started with Tibia. I got into Ragnarok Online for a while after that. Then WoW came along and took my soul. I stopped playing online games in college except for LoL matches. One summer I got back into Tibia, and now WoW is my #1 again.

I also played some League during school rather than WoW for it was much easier to do random 40 minute games than grind an MMO. Once I was done with school and found an 8-5 job, I was able to play WoW again.

Now that I think about it, when I had the proper schedule I always played WoW and when I didn't I would play other games until my schedule was correct again.
Phantasy Star Online got me into MMO/dungeon crawler types, and pretty much any other kind of game with a social lobby/way to talk with players.

Dreamcast was ahead of it's time in that regard.
Pong.

I watched them roll it into the pinball arcade.

I was the second to play it.
Everquest back in '99
Ultima Underworld (? or something like that) the underground cave-y darkness... hearing sounds coming closer from somewhere... was so exciting it literally made you jump!
this was my first MMO, but my first game was on some old console that was out around the time of the sega and super nintendo, it used a floppy-drive like item to run games and while we had a few at the house the one i liked the most was the one that you controlled a plane and go left/right/up/down while the background would scroll from the top of the screen to the bottom and you'd fight other planes and tanks and stuff and get power ups to shoot homing rockets and lasers.

that then got me into wanting a nintendo 64 and i played all the mario games for it, pokemon stadium, perfect dark, banjo and kazooie/banjo tooie and all those other games. then got a copy of WC3 and SC1 BroodWar and eventually got into WoW and stuff.
Pool of Radiance on the Commodore 64 as my gateway on the computer.

My parents bought Dungeons and Dragons to help me make friends after moving to a new city as a gateway to gaming in general.
12/13/2016 10:21 AMPosted by Mung
Pong.

This.
Gemstone 4 in '96. Text based mmorpg ;)

I did play the early final fantasy (2 & 5) when they came out (was in middle school) loved those early rpgs.
Nexus
Age of Empires 1, followed by Majora's Mask.
Silk Road online and Deco online
Does 2nd life count?
I played many games before these two but I consider Diablo 2 and Everquest to be my first must play all the time games.