Where's all the female tanks?

General Discussion
My wife sees tanking as much more like mothering:
You have to keep up with a bunch of idiots and try to control everything all the while if anything goes wrong you're the one that gets blamed.
They're always trying to go faster, go the wrong way, and you attempt to herd them along, just hoping you live long enough to look back on this and laugh.
Yeah, if you're going to stereotype, tanking is much more like being a mother.
12/24/2016 02:18 PMPosted by Pouncey
I'm a dude in real life. In shooter games like Overwatch, Eternal Crusade and Planetside 2 which have healer characters/classes, I strongly prefer playing healers because it makes me feel useful.
Heh, in overwatch, I play Mercy, Lucio and Zen, the only non healer I love is Junkrat because, as he so wisely says "meh, aiming it's overrated"... and I can't aim to save my life anyway, that's why when someone takes the healing role and JR is not needed, I either go Roadhog or Reaper.
12/24/2016 02:11 PMPosted by Jênny
Because women are awesome at damn near everything

You could say the same for Males.

Placing one gender on a pedestal is not the correct action.

EDIT: Not sure why I got downvoted...
I'm Female IRL, but I think both genders should be treated fairly; is that so wrong?
LMAO! Oh how I'd love to post real world examples of this fallacy in action! Sadly I care about my ability to post in wow. Honey I think you've been watching a lil too much Laci on the tube.

Gender is quite irrelevant when it comes to games, but expecting the "Guys talk" to end because a few more women tank is just silly. Plus there's ZERO shame in being known for a nurturing nature... at least ONE of the sexes should be. :p

I'm glad your proud of your woman status, and I hope you have many many successful dungeon runs. That said, take the silly "I am woman, I am god" mindset back to tumblr. :p

Did we read the same post? I think you went a little overboard sistah
12/24/2016 02:22 PMPosted by Canevia
Lol Pouncy... guys don't because they've got something in between that's kinda sensitive to being smushed. :p

Remember that I'm a guy in real life.

I've put my legs together before. It doesn't hurt.
Female tanks only get 77% of the loot, because patriarchy
12/24/2016 02:22 PMPosted by Kelvv
Wait...

YOU'RE A CHICK!?!?

how you doing? /sexy Elvis pose
Last time I checked I was yes. I'm ok with my gender not being blantantly obvious heh.

And sorry, my type is more blood elf/Hanzo.
12/24/2016 02:24 PMPosted by Midare
12/24/2016 02:18 PMPosted by Pouncey
I'm a dude in real life. In shooter games like Overwatch, Eternal Crusade and Planetside 2 which have healer characters/classes, I strongly prefer playing healers because it makes me feel useful.
Heh, in overwatch, I play Mercy, Lucio and Zen, the only non healer I love is Junkrat because, as he so wisely says "meh, aiming it's overrated"... and I can't aim to save my life anyway, that's why when someone takes the healing role and JR is not needed, I either go Roadhog or Reaper.

Speaking of bad aim, I actually have better accuracy with full-auto weapons than sniper weapons. I seem to have a bizarre issue with my timing, so I have a hard time hitting people with a single shot, but with full-auto weapons I just hold down the trigger and try to get my crosshairs near enough to the target that some of the spray hits them.
12/24/2016 02:26 PMPosted by Cyrenthi

I'm very interested in hearing how you calculated that.
I have a guildmate who's a lady and plays a prot pally.
We got one in our guild, I don't think they are all that rare
12/24/2016 02:16 PMPosted by Shelyna
12/24/2016 02:11 PMPosted by Jênny
Why does it matter? Because women are awesome at damn near everything :D And it gets kinda lonely, and frustrating to listen to "the guys" talk about how women in gaming are better suited for healing because it fits their "nurturing nature" :(

BWHAAA ...I agree stereotyping female players as casters or healers always made me lawl. Sure ill heal but im not the nurturing kind and dont really care about whack a mole with healthbars. I was pushed into raiding as a caster/healer back when I started..once I discovered melee/tanking forget the healing.

I mean, I enjoy healing, but two guildies kinda hijacked claims to all dungeon healing rights, so of late, I've been playing...my DK, of all things. It's about the only DPS class that is fun and intuitive to me thus far. I like warlock, too...so maybe I have a tendency towards the dark side?

For what it's worth, I picked up healing originally not because I'm the nurturing type, but because I got tired of people !@#$ing it up and wondered how hard it actually was. Turns out I was pretty good at it, so it's become my go-to role in MMOs (if they have them), but I don't think it's fair to stereotype like that. Case in point? The two guildies that called shotgun on dungeon healing...are DUDES.

In FFXIV, I was a SMN main until Astrologian came out (I'm a sucker for anything with a tarot theme, and their class-specific gear was gorgeous).
12/24/2016 02:28 PMPosted by Pouncey
12/24/2016 02:26 PMPosted by Cyrenthi

They're being factious lol. Aka making fun of people who believe that tripe.
12/24/2016 02:30 PMPosted by Mintmocha
Turns out I was pretty good at it, so it's become my go-to role in MMOs (if they have them), but I don't think it's fair to stereotype like that. Case in point? The two guildies that called shotgun on dungeon healing...are DUDES.
I don't heal cuz nurturing... I just like having the ability to let people die if they don't follow mechanics.

Yes I'm a terrible person :3

12/24/2016 02:27 PMPosted by Pouncey
Speaking of bad aim, I actually have better accuracy with full-auto weapons than sniper weapons. I seem to have a bizarre issue with my timing, so I have a hard time hitting people with a single shot, but with full-auto weapons I just hold down the trigger and try to get my crosshairs near enough to the target that some of the spray hits them.
Same here but I guess it depends on the character for me. I can't land a single shot with Mccree or Dad76... then I go and get a 5 player kill streak as Mercy or get PotG as Zen for headshots... makes no sense.
12/24/2016 02:30 PMPosted by Mintmocha
12/24/2016 02:16 PMPosted by Shelyna

BWHAAA ...I agree stereotyping female players as casters or healers always made me lawl. Sure ill heal but im not the nurturing kind and dont really care about whack a mole with healthbars. I was pushed into raiding as a caster/healer back when I started..once I discovered melee/tanking forget the healing.

I mean, I enjoy healing, but two guildies kinda hijacked claims to all dungeon healing rights, so of late, I've been playing...my DK, of all things. It's about the only DPS class that is fun and intuitive to me thus far. I like warlock, too...so maybe I have a tendency towards the dark side?

For what it's worth, I picked up healing originally not because I'm the nurturing type, but because I got tired of people !@#$ing it up and wondered how hard it actually was. Turns out I was pretty good at it, so it's become my go-to role in MMOs (if they have them), but I don't think it's fair to stereotype like that. Case in point? The two guildies that called shotgun on dungeon healing...are DUDES.

In FFXIV, I was a SMN main until Astrologian came out (I'm a sucker for anything with a tarot theme, and their class-specific gear was gorgeous).

My mom plays an Arms Warrior and a Marksmanship Hunter. My dad played all three roles enough that his Prot/Holy Paladin was given special permission by my raiding guild in TBC-WotLK, to roll on both specs' loot as his main spec, because he was willing to pay for the respec at any time the guild's raid composition would benefit from his other spec. Literally, at any time, they said, "Pouncey's dad, could you swap to heals (or tank)?" the answer was, "Sure, let me just hearth to a class trainer and respec, then summon me back." including in-between attempts in mid-raid, and multiple times a night.

I kinda don't have any sort of reason to believe that either gender plays any particular role, because my immediate family break the standard tripe gamers say on that subject.
12/24/2016 02:34 PMPosted by Canevia
<span class="truncated">...</span>

They're being factious lol. Aka making fun of people who believe that tripe.

Oh.

I thought they were serious. I only asked because I thought the answer would be really funny. I'm very interested in comedy, but I didn't say that because I wanted them to actually explain, instead of just downvoting me and not replying.
I know some female tanks. Lady, Daisy and Emily the Stirling Engine are good.

Then there's Ashima. Mmm what I would give to get a piece of that tank engines !@# ya feel me?
12/24/2016 02:20 PMPosted by Pouncey

Men are actually physically capable of putting our legs together, you know.

[/quote]

It was mostly a joke, though perhaps in bad taste.
12/24/2016 02:38 PMPosted by Goezrawr
It was mostly a joke, though perhaps in bad taste.

I remember a scene in The Simpsons where Groundskeeper Willy was wearing a kilt and had one of his legs folded while sitting, and he would occasionally switch which leg was folded. The police officers would react with disgust because, uh, men don't wear anything under the kilt, I guess, so they got a good look at his junk. The police officers interrogating him eventually threatened him with a gun (it's a 20 year old CARTOON, don't freak out) and said, "This is your last warning about that."
hello