What are WOW's current sub numbers?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 11 Next
I play on Sargeras, a high pop alliance pvp realm. And I see too many people from my own realm. And once I exit Dalaran, I see about 100 times as many people from horde dominant pvp realms. So from my personal experience, the game is quite populated. Isn't that what matters? If your realm seems dead, move realms. I assure you that many are "thriving". I just hope that bliz doesnt remove "dead" realms, cause they are oh so good for farming older content rare drops.
03/04/2017 03:48 AMPosted by Rrayy
Wow isn't going to consoles. Only a clueless person would say otherwise.

Considering ESO is on the console, (and has been for quite some time), Blizzard would be foolish to not explore that financial possibility.
People are playing other Blizzard-Activision games, so they don't care. Their stock is up.
As the economy improves, more people will be playing. Trump will make WOW great again
03/04/2017 04:53 AMPosted by Mandrel
People are playing other Blizzard-Activision games, so they don't care. Their stock is up.
People are quitting hearthstone because of imbalanced cards
People are quitting overwatch because of imbalanced characters
People are quitting wow because imbalanced classes and grind
No one plays diablo 3 because it's bad
Few people play hots because the market on mobas was tapped long before it was released

Starcraft 2 is pretty good

My point is blizzard does have serious issues with some of its games atm and pretending like everything is fine is not the answer
Well, I'm here, so that's one. And someone else is because I'm not talking to myself.

So, at least two people.
More than what was in WoD, but less than Wrath
I heard from a very reliable source that Blizzard's next expansion will be in VR!! Don't tell anyone else.
03/04/2017 04:28 AMPosted by Hollia
WoW is on milk-mode and has been ever since they stopped reporting sub numbers. They simply don't care anymore and it shows in the product.
Blatant BS. Yeah I'm sure the devs, for which this game is their job, don't are about it. /sarcasm.
03/05/2017 03:57 AMPosted by Razilax
03/04/2017 04:53 AMPosted by Mandrel
People are quitting hearthstone because of imbalanced cards
People are quitting overwatch because of imbalanced characters
People are quitting wow because imbalanced classes and grind
No one plays diablo 3 because it's bad
Few people play hots because the market on mobas was tapped long before it was released

Starcraft 2 is pretty good

My point is blizzard does have serious issues with some of its games atm and pretending like everything is fine is not the answer
All their games are profitable. Financially, which is all that counts, they are perfectly fine. People need to stop acting like their opinion is fact.
01/16/2017 11:21 PMPosted by Kugsneak

you have to adjust for the number of PAYING subs instead of subs obtained through gold bought tokens and you should really adjust for dead accounts, paying but not logging in anymore (sometimes prepaid).

[/quote]

Stopped reading here, because it shows how dumb you are. Blizzard makes more money off of "gold bought token" subs than they do regular subs.
well the latest wowcensus only has 1.1 million characters active over level 20

adjusting for alts we are in the 500k-1million range of actual live players in the USA. Actual subs prolly 1-2 with lots of inactive players

you have to adjust for the number of PAYING subs instead of subs obtained through gold bought tokens and you should really adjust for dead accounts, paying but not logging in anymore (sometimes prepaid).

MoP hit a low of 6-6.5million during the dead zone before WoD, peak of 10

WoD hit a low of 500k-1million during its huge dead zone and lack of content, peak of 10. Actual sub totals were around 1-2 at the end but activity was dead and much lower

Legion is apparently already nearing the low point for WoD for player activity, however it still had a nice peak of 4-7 before the massive sub crash around

Cataclysm got as low as 9million, peak of 12

Wotlk stayed strong at 10-12 million. This was the last xpac that didn't have a big drop. The big drops started with Cata.

WoD took the cake by far, going from 10 million to 1-2 million. Lack of content and horrendous end grind in tanaan. Also took away flying.

Automation and bots started invading WoW hardcore midway into MoP. They dominated WoD because WoD got so cheap so fast so disposable accounts were everywhere.

Legion appears to be headed down the same path as WoD. The vast bulk of players don't like the big changes for WoW or the new design direction.

I could see that... For me, Wrath was the ultimate in storytelling. You were dumped in heading to Borean Tundra to the recruitment drive watching people sign up to fight... every turn, every zone had something to do with fighting the Lich King.

Then comes cata... the redid the zones and effectively destroyed the nostalgia of the game and the zones and music we all loved and have been playing for years. Plus the story was thin... paper thin... I remember going through many of the zones and having no clue why I was here and there being very little to no mention of deathwing and how the zone tied into him.
01/16/2017 11:56 PMPosted by Aaric

you have to adjust for the number of PAYING subs instead of subs obtained through gold bought tokens

Why? A paid account is a paid account. Gold paid accounts even make Blizzard more money than regular subs. Don't forget that the person who paid twenty bucks for that token on the WoW store still has to buy their own monthly sub.

It's incredible that people still do not understand how the wow token works.
YES 4 million would be terrible, that's roughly 60 million dollars a month, wow isn't dying, its dead. I mean who can work with 720 million a year, not including the wow store. The game is dead, we all should move on.........

/rolls eyes
01/16/2017 11:59 PMPosted by Latherfal
867 5309

If you are ever buying something where you can input a phone number for a discount (grocery stores) but you haven't signed up, use this number as it is a common fake number used, and you will get the discount.
03/09/2017 09:56 AMPosted by Vâlkân
I heard from a very reliable source that Blizzard's next expansion will be in VR!! Don't tell anyone else.

should be augmented reality instead
there is absolutely no way of knowing the numbers as they never release them ever, and the last earnings call , they stated in writing that WoW is doing "well" , no idea where you guys are getting numbers from, or any of those sites as they have no accurate way of telling what the numbers are, as there is no where to officially pull that info off of servers to even spit them out, plus they have stated in the past from chris metzin himself, that the goal isn't subs its the initial purchase of the expac itself, sorry OP , no way of knowing that info ever if at all
Somewhere greater than 20 and less than 7 billion.
I have no idea.