Hidden artifact appearances

General Discussion
I wonder what was blizz's thought processes were when they came up with how each class would get their's. I hear the frost mage one is pretty easy and I know that the destro lock one was and I hear there is one of the hunter one's that all they have to do is buy it. Then there is Aff lock and Ret Pally one's which I hear are rng grindfest's, so I wonder how and why blizz decided some classes would have it easier then others.
My guess is they were all initially going for a big unlock method, but either got bored or ran out of time and rushed for the rest.
12/27/2016 06:51 PMPosted by Vâleos
I hear the frost mage one is pretty easy

It's not hard to get, but it's RNG based.

There's a chance that the portals in the class hall will take you to Frostfire instead. You take a portal and get your weapon.
Funny, I still don't have the frost hidden so not sure why someone would say it's easy.
They wanted to have a variety of ways. Some just a simple rng drop, others a lot more involved.

For example, the ret paladin one is an homage to the search players once did way back in vanilla for a way to get the Ashbringer.
You think frost mage and destro lock is easy?

haah waaw

Just wait until you get to unholy DK or outlaw rogue ;]]
12/27/2016 07:27 PMPosted by Seriana
unholy DK
i shudder at that one.

worst design ever.
It's a great idea, perhaps one of the best along with Corrupted Ashbringer, but the 0.0000001% chance WTF
12/27/2016 07:15 PMPosted by Unbeliever
Funny, I still don't have the frost hidden so not sure why someone would say it's easy.

Well its just rng to if you get the portal or not.

Its like what people like to say around these parts "RNG =/= Difficulty"
Veng DH: Get a certain OH upgrade. Fight boss of that upgrade every day. Eventually, loot item, turn in, have hidden appearance.
It would have been more interesting if the bosses scaled up like the Brawlers' Guild or such, but no, it's just random.
You get buff items as it goes along, but they don't work in rated PvP, raids, Mythic+, and only sell for 2g50s ea. So I'd sell them for the most part.
Actually both BM and MM are bought. One in Dalaran the other at Court of Farondis emissary
Ha, I was just searching for answers on Artifact Appearances.

Okay, the only toon I have with appearances I care about is my mage.
Firstly, do I have to do Balance of Power on my mage, or can it be on any toon?
I'm suspecting it has to be on my mage, but things change so often i'm not sure.

Secondly, After Legion, if we unlock the staff appearance on mage, will other staff wielders be able to transmog that appearance? Or will it remain class specific?

Thanks! :)
Make them all different. Some grindy, some rng and throw us a bone now and then...bottom line is that's their new logic to keep subscribers. RNG
My Resto Druid one is RNG... Every few days hope I get the seed! WOOT, so engaging....NOT
12/27/2016 09:15 PMPosted by Neila

I'm suspecting it has to be on my mage, but things change so often i'm not sure.

Secondly, After Legion, if we unlock the staff appearance on mage, will other staff wielders be able to transmog that appearance? Or will it remain class specific?

This discussion is about hidden skins, not the one that comes from Balance of Power. But to answer you: we don't know yet. Apparently Blizzard already relented on the one that requires you to complete eight of the Archaeology bi-weekly quests to be account-wide, but no one knows if that'll extend to other skins/tints that would be a massive PITA to do on multiple characters.

And doubtful that anyone but that particular spec will be allowed to transmog that appearance, considering they wanted each one to be iconic to that spec.
12/27/2016 09:26 PMPosted by Marriama
12/27/2016 09:15 PMPosted by Neila

This discussion is about hidden skins, not the one that comes from Balance of Power. But to answer you: we don't know yet. Apparently Blizzard already relented on the one that requires you to complete eight of the Archaeology bi-weekly quests to be account-wide, but no one knows if that'll extend to other skins/tints that would be a massive PITA to do on multiple characters.

And doubtful that anyone but that particular spec will be allowed to transmog that appearance, considering they wanted each one to be iconic to that spec.
Okay, thanks for response - appreciated!
And yes, I knew it was about hidden appearances, but I thought there may be a chance someone in this thread that cares about artifact skins would know without me throwing up a new topic on the forum.
Cheers :)
Well.. The Frost mage is easy in that you don't have to do anything outside of go to the orderhall once a day after getting the appropriate AK level.

It is, however, entirely RNG based and there is nothing you could do to increase your chances to get it.

Then you have the Arcane one, which is a bunch of random things with an RNG orderhall in the middle. Funny is that I actually had the Frost appearance pop first while I was trying for the Arcane appearance.

Then you have the ones like one of the hunter appearances, which only require rep grinding to be able to obtain.. then you have the ones like the Enhancement Shaman and Frost DK, which is mostly waiting to get the right world boss(es) to pop on tge rotation.

Then you have the rogues.. Subtility requires a random item obtained by Nogginfogger when an orderhall mission is completed or coins you get from pick pocketing.. BUT the coins require you turn in a ticket for the day first before you can take your pick of different items. So, you finally get a ticket and turn it in, you get to choose from one if three items of the day from Nogginfogger's hoard. You are looking for one particular item, the set of keys, which may be on offer that day or may not be, which means you have to come back another day and hope the keys show up. What does this key grant you? Why, a chance to make a treasure room run on Thunder Island with Taoshi. Oh, but it is only a chance to drop and only from the chests at the end, which means you need to hope that you get multiple random key drops through the run since you can only guarantee yourself two keys (one for beating the boss at the end, one for talking to the panda at the end before time runs out) to be able to unlock more end room chests. You may get lucky and get the skin drop after about 24 or so runs.. or you may not.

Then you have Assassination which, much like Elemental Shamans have to farm the rare mobs in the underbelly sewers for theirs.

Finally you have Outlaw which requires farming two specific dungeons for two rare drops to pay homage to the process of obtaining the original Thunderfury.

Oh, and Retribution which is a whole smorgasbord of random stuff all based on the random speculations on how to obtain Ashbringer.. all of which was borne from a grey trash item drop from Alteric Vally. I mean, I don't mind homages and nods to such things.. but when viewed in comparison to the level of effort for some if these skins (re: hunters buying one skin from a vendor, just for example).. someone somewhere should have brought it up.
Yeah, the Ret hidden skin honestly does seem to be a bit much.

I mean, I've never been the type to camp mob spawns because my sanity has its' limits. Most of the stuff before it, at least, was fun little callbacks to all of the original speculation. But that and having to subsequently spend HOURS fishing in the nearby river (so you don't even get any current fish for your efforts) strikes me as putting callbacks before practicality.
If the Destruction one were easy, I'd have it already. Can't do anything about a daily chance at a super rare drop...

The Demonology one comes down to a few hours (on average) of killing eredar mobs - easy.

The Affliction one is sorta time-gated, but at least you're able to see your progress once you loot the quest object (which, if you haven't randomly while doing WQs, you probably will while farming the Demonology appearance). Once you get it, it's as simple as killing 13 humanoid rare elite world quest mobs (isn't that a mouthful). Not all rare elite WQs are humanoid, so itll likely take a week or three to accumulate them.

So yeah, basically eff RNG. Lazy, boring design. Should have bad luck protection on looting the appearances just like legendaries. If not that they should be farmable/repeatable so if you really want it ASAP you can grind for it. Especially when there are things that will take time/effort once you get the appearance to unlock the other colors.
...I hope there's some plan to lighten up on the RNG bull!@#$ as the expansion goes on. I'll shelf this game for good if I go on killing Ursoc at least once every week between now and the next one and I still don't get it.