Normally Heals, want to try DPS

General Discussion
I normally run as Resto, but would like to try Balance DPS in a 5 man setting.

Current iLvL is 862, but haven't set foot in any Legion dungeons beyond the initial release normal 5 mans.

I'd like to do some fine tuning, so I'd like to know what I should get my DPS output to before queing.

With my current item level, what should I expect to hit on a DPS meter?
~870 it seems to revolve around 300k dps single target (more or less depending on the movement, mechanics) (i sim at 381k atm and sometimes reach beyond that but it's not stable)

aoe i'm not sure, but one should be able to burst over 1mil in big trash packs.
Shoot for 300k or close to it (@ur ilvl) for like mythic +...

I have an 865 moonkin alt and he's super fun. Can burst at like 430k with pots and incarn.. and on boss fights where I can cast with minimal interruptions I can finish 320-340..

Some times I have to move a ton tho and finish the fights at like 280-290k range.. it happens
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the replies :)
After some testing, I can't break 250k DPS.

Using Dungeoneer's Training Dummy Level 112.
Benevola, it takes time to learn the flow. It's also a matter of having a well developed Artifact. I'd start doing some world content in boomkin form. That'll really help you learn the flow of how to do things.

Don't worry too much about sims or the like, work on learning how the spec flows first.

A rank 34 artifact can also really help your damage output.

Assuming you have AK 25, putting points into maxxing out your boomkin's weapon will be easy. I mean, I went from rank 8 (pitiful amounts of AP) to rank 34 in like two weeks of casual WQ due to AK 25.
01/21/2017 07:29 PMPosted by Smitenhealz
Benevola, it takes time to learn the flow. It's also a matter of having a well developed Artifact. I'd start doing some world content in boomkin form. That'll really help you learn the flow of how to do things.

Don't worry too much about sims or the like, work on learning how the spec flows first.

A rank 34 artifact can also really help your damage output.

Assuming you have AK 25, putting points into maxxing out your boomkin's weapon will be easy. I mean, I went from rank 8 (pitiful amounts of AP) to rank 34 in like two weeks of casual WQ due to AK 25.

I will take your advice and work on the "flow", Thanks for the help :)
I'm alot like you.

Resto is my MS but I like to try and moonkin.

I'm never been happy with my moonkin DPS. Some people with less gear pull better numbers. Idk why, I read, I try, but I seem to sit around 300 - 350 k DPS, with decent DPS trinkets, lvl 35 trait, and 880 ILvL.

I'm jus no good at it I guess- but I try. I've seen moonkins with lower ILvL than me top meters- I remember everyone saying "how'd that moonkin do that?"

So the potential is there.
01/21/2017 08:06 PMPosted by Jessekin
I'm alot like you.

Resto is my MS but I like to try and moonkin.

I'm never been happy with my moonkin DPS. Some people with less gear pull better numbers. Idk why, I read, I try, but I seem to sit around 300 - 350 k DPS, with decent DPS trinkets, lvl 35 trait, and 880 ILvL.

I'm jus no good at it I guess- but I try. I've seen moonkins with lower ILvL than me top meters- I remember everyone saying "how'd that moonkin do that?"

So the potential is there.

You described it better than I did.
Bear in mind that your dps will be low for most classes until you get a sizable amount of unlocks on artifact. With high AK it should be pretty easy to get at least the 3 gold, and not too long for all 35.

300k is a good target because that is what is needed for fights like Heroic Ursoc. However you should probably be doing closer to 350k, and 400k by the time you get 880.

So 300k is a good target but you should be trying to push 400k as you fill your artifact, get your spec legendaries and push 880 ilvl.

At 860 if you don't have a full artifact and you don't have 2 legendaries then 250k is probably a more reasonable expectation, without 3 gold traits some classes its even more like 200k.

Single target. AoE is much harder to say because it depends on the type of multi target fight.
Me too. I've healed all my life. I want to be the aggressor for a change.
01/22/2017 10:00 AMPosted by Tanarae
Bear in mind that your dps will be low for most classes until you get a sizable amount of unlocks on artifact. With high AK it should be pretty easy to get at least the 3 gold, and not too long for all 35.

300k is a good target because that is what is needed for fights like Heroic Ursoc. However you should probably be doing closer to 350k, and 400k by the time you get 880.

So 300k is a good target but you should be trying to push 400k as you fill your artifact, get your spec legendaries and push 880 ilvl.

At 860 if you don't have a full artifact and you don't have 2 legendaries then 250k is probably a more reasonable expectation, without 3 gold traits some classes its even more like 200k.

Single target. AoE is much harder to say because it depends on the type of multi target fight.

This describes where I'm at very well.

After taking some advice from a poster above, I've smoothed out my rotation a bit and have noticed a minor improvement. Once I get a second Legendary and finish filling in my Artifact, I should be a bit better off.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.