Considering trying out Guild Wars 2

Games, Gaming and Hardware
12/28/2016 12:34 AMPosted by Ringoffrost
i like gw2 because you can wear a kilt with pink underwear as a male

Nearly all my male characters wear a skirt that shows their underwear, its great
12/27/2016 06:17 PMPosted by Sacagawea
Anyone else played it? How does it compare? I mean I've read the reviews and such but not many that take into account Legion and how awesome it is.

its pve content is kinda weak after u have played this. its pvp is FAR SUPERIOR TO WOW. way more rolls and stuff that u can do. there is like last i checked the ability to have up to like 30 different styles of spec for each class. so x that by the like i think its lke 8 classes now and u will be busy awhile. i bought heart of thorns and got a free booster with it. boosted a ranger. just run around and snipe stuff. its fun. if u wanna join up and do stuff i got no problem with this. just if u are into pve stay on wow, if u are into pvp go to guild wars 2. that is my advice to u
wvw is by far the best pvp system i have ever seen in a mmorpg
It's fun to try out, but there are a few things that made it hard for me to stick with. The biggest problem I have with it (and this may be a good thing for some people) is that you always auto level down to the zones. I enjoy leveling and feeling more powerful. I just never get that feeling with GW2. I also didn't like the grouping system and the lack of the tank/heals/dps system for groups.
wvw is by far the best pvp system i have ever seen in a mmoropg

Unless it's changed in the pass 6 months and it's a zerg rush. Everytime I did wvw we just zerged bases and 80% of the time 0 PvP happened but crazy exp tho.
The quality of WvW is 100% based on what server you're on. Some support zergs, but the bulk of them support solo/small group roaming parties, with zergs potentially on reset night in 1-2 maps.

Heart of Thorns expac added alot of content, and pretty much mandatory class abilities in pvp. It also added the only raid GW2 has (or had before I quit), and it pushed the classes more towards the trinity to support the raid. It's really fun and can provide hours of entertainment. Though, once you've done everything, it kinda loses it's luster. It's just farm achievements, PvP, or WvW (WvW was my primary source of enjoyment before I sought new sources of MMO entertainment).
It's good the first time you play it, then it gets boring quick.
I'm off and on with gw2. Luckily you pay once (free for earlier content).

I really really enjoyed map completion. Each zone has about 10 favors to complete to earn xp, View points or important land marks to visit and then vistas. !@#$ing love vistas. I don't know but platforming in this game is really fun...and frustrating lol.

I spent about an hour in lions just visiting viewpoints and platforming. It's a beautiful game.

But it's not enough to be my sole main game I play. Wow has been able to do that.
12/28/2016 08:26 AMPosted by Mercelida
wvw is by far the best pvp system i have ever seen in a mmoropg

Unless it's changed in the pass 6 months and it's a zerg rush. Everytime I did wvw we just zerged bases and 80% of the time 0 PvP happened but crazy exp tho.

oh, thats unfortunate

i last played about a year or so ago having played on off since launch and it was super tactical and i really enjoyed it
Imo the combat in GW2 is some of the best of all MMOs, which also makes the PvP very fun.

Unfortunately I've never really liked the rest of the game for a variety of reasons:

-There can be too much of a gear treadmill, but I think you need at least a little to keep it interesting, and GW2 really fails hard here. There's almost no incentive to do anything to better your character.

-They have too little resources for their game. WvW had potential, but they basically stopped all updates to that section of the game almost 2 years ago. The PvE team is also swamped; they were supposed to release the 2nd wing to their raid 2 months ago - total silence from devs.

-And ofc the cash shop. Who could have seen that getting out of hand? One of the few things to do in GW2 is "mog" your gear by unlocking appearences. Unfortunatly since their last expansion dropped there's only been like 5 new armor sets obtainable through gameplay - EVERYTHING else is cash shop.
12/27/2016 06:17 PMPosted by Sacagawea
Anyone else played it? How does it compare? I mean I've read the reviews and such but not many that take into account Legion and how awesome it is.

GW2 for me the only good part was how amazing the world looked. Exploring was a blast but that was about it for me.

- Worst leveling mmo I ever played and I played pretty much most of the main stream mmos. There aren't really any quests. It is mostly exploring, crafting, and doing that area events over and and over again. There are no quests that lead you to other quests or quest chains like all other mmos.

- Combat is okay except I wasn't a fan of getting all different abilities if you are in water or equip a different type weapon.

- Not much content imo.

- No end game really. They have like some dungeons you can do now but I pretty much stopped once I hit max level because there wasn't much to do.

- PvP was pretty bad and almost non existent for what was supposed to be a pvp based game. GW 1 >>>>>>>>>>> GW 2 in that aspect.

If you want a fun mmo to play on the side or because you need a little break from WoW, I recommend SWToR. Best leveling mmo I have played. Once you hit level 50 though (was max level iirc in vanilla) it goes down hill and now it is mostly a single player mmo as all the new content is solo story based. But the class stories from lvl 1-50 are sooo much fun. Each class has a different story.
I played it, taking a break. With expansions they've dumbed things down,(like) made it more manageable from their end. 5 weapon skills, a weapon swap, 1heal skill, 3 utility, 1 elite. No new skills in forever. Traits changed to where you totally devote to these 3 trees no matter what. My mesmer is fun, but I'm tired of it. MY MAIN PROBLEM WITH IT IS INVENTORY MANAGEMENT.
I put a sticky note over my bags.
It wasn’t my cup of tea, but there were some things that I liked about it that made it enjoyable. It just couldn’t keep me hooked long term.
it's a pretty nice game, they got pvp correct and the large map events are always fun.

That being said lvling is based around doing world events, the story, exploring, and all the open world "quests" are grind x and y.

so it does get boring on certain classes who don't hit their power spike until later in the game.

edit: F'ing necro got me
I enjoy it and I think it is beautifully made.
04/23/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Jellarie
I enjoy it and I think it is beautifully made.

One of the best looking games and I enjoy it thoroughly. Not sure about the complaints of grind, seems there is much more to do and a massive world.

If your into trade skills then this is a game for you. Ascendant gear being something to strive for.

The level balance by zone works and wow is starting to copy that as well. You can not be god in low level areas and kill everything before those who have to level yet get to it.

The gem/gold shop is another thing Wow is moving into, buying nifty armour skins and other util items like gathering tools and on and on.

Game is graphic intense and on higher settings your computer will grunt making all those pretty landscapes pop. Character animation is great and the personal story lines are fun.

I bounce back and forth, wow being a 14 year addiction and GW2 only 3 years and hope the game keeps up and betters itself and increases the amount of dungeons.

Guild halls being built and expanded by those in the guild to add vendors and many other goodies is great, as well as your own personal space.

Gathering, another thing wow is trying to work on to match GW2. Material nodes like ore and wood and herbs are all personal. You don't have to worry about Bob getting it first as it is still there for you.

Monsters hurt even at high levels in GW2. Wow. I boosted an old warlock and amazed how I can just use a voidwalker to keep a critter off me and drain it to death.

On and on I ramble, try it and take a bit of time and hook up with a active guild.

Yet I still bounce back and forth to Wow because Gnomes rule and Loch Modan is still great after that 4000th time doing it. Mind you Asura are pretty much gnomes and the Engi items are more useful.

Yadda Yadda. Hugs and Kisses
It's a good side game and def worth the 1 time purchase. I don't think it's something I could ever play exclusively though.