Tired of Playing Blizzard's Way

General Discussion
1 2 3 17 Next
I stopped my WoW time two months back. No leaving post or anything. I bought 30 days today to do the Diablo Event, and after posting in another thread, figured I'll make a thread to see how many people agree with my sentiments.

I am tired of playing World of Warcraft in the manner Blizzard has decided I have to play World of Warcraft.

I am tired of Blizzard Forcing me to PvP for Non-PvP Content such as Transmogs, Events, or PvE Quests such as Crafting.
I am tired of Blizzard Forcing me to PvE for PvP content, such as farming Artifact Power for an Artifact Weapon. (Yes, you can get AP from PvP, but its slower than from PvE)
I am tired of every expansion, 'Re-Inventing,' the Classes, changing them drastically, making them into something completely different.
I am tired of Blizzard removing old iconic spells that not only felt like a core part of the Class, but also added a nice community-building aspect to the class's gameplay, such as with Buffs.
I am tired of Flight being gated behind achievements which include Reputation Grinds, Raid Completion, and Time Gates.
I am tired of being forced into a faction based upon my selection of Race.
I am tired of being forced into a race based upon my selection of Class.
I am tired of RNG's ever increasing implementation into every aspect of Gameplay.
I am tired of Cross-Realm-Zones interfering in Gameplay and causing massive Lag catastrophes such as Dalaran.
I am tired of Mythics being required content for Quests. (Court of Stars, Arcway, etc...)

In a nutshell, I am just tired of this fruitless fight. I'm downright exhausted. What was once a fun game is no longer fun. In Vanilla, or BC, or Wrath, or even Cataclysm, I would log on and happily ponder what I -wanted- to do. Do I want to work on Loremaster? Do I want to work on crafting? Do I want to do some PvP? Do I want to just relax and increase my fishing? Do I want to just observe beautiful zones from atop a flying mount?

That's not there anymore. I have to play the game the way Blizzard wants me to play it, and I'm tired of arguing. I'm NOT going to play the game the way Blizzard wants me to. As they won't let me play the way I want, I have no intention of continuing an active subscription or doing more than popping in a month at a time once or twice a year.

tl;dr - I am tired of playing World of Warcraft the way Blizzard wants, rather than the way I want.
01/04/2017 07:34 PMPosted by Andurath
tl;dr - I am tired of playing World of Warcraft the way Blizzard wants, rather than the way I want.
Its always been this way. At no point have we had free reign to just do whatever we want in this game.

All the same, adios.
01/04/2017 07:37 PMPosted by Derkhammer
Its always been this way. At no point have we had free reign to just do whatever we want in this game.

All the same, adios.

To one degree or another. We've had more freedom to play as we wanted to in the past.
01/04/2017 07:38 PMPosted by Andurath
To one degree or another. We've had more freedom to play as we wanted to in the past.
Not really, no.

All the same, adios.

Example? Because there has always been "the way" to get something, whatever that something is. "The way" has changed over the years, but there has never been a "choice".
01/04/2017 07:39 PMPosted by Derkhammer
Not really, no.

In past expansions we could simply buy Flight at cap level and enjoy that content.
Didn't have to do Raids to complete Loremaster in the past (you need to do Emerald Nightmare to complete the Suramar Loremaster Achievement).
Didn't have to enter PvP areas to do Crafting.
Didn't have to farm gear and hope RNG wouldn't screw you over twice (The piece you want -and- Titanforged with a high iLvL).
Didn't have to worry about CRZ tossing you into a crowded area where it's impossible to complete Quest Objectives due to mob tapping or an imbalance in factions.
Didn't have to relearn what felt like an entirely different class with each expansion. (Vanilla to Cata, the classes were all fairly stable in how they played, not getting reinvented)

Like I said before, if I wanted to do something, I generally had the freedom to do it in a way I wanted to.
It's not your game, even the characters you play are not yours. If you do not like all these things than it's time for a different game. Minecraft may give you more of what YOU want.
01/04/2017 07:41 PMPosted by Spy

Example?
Apparently, RNG is a new thing that we've never had to deal with before. Also at some point in the past, PvP-specific rewards were widely attainable without having to PvP for them. We've also never had dungeon quests before. Its also completely ridiculous that Orcs are no longer part of the Alliance.

All of these things apparently existed in some game he played before that he's confusing with this one.

It's actually a lot easier to do varied content now than it ever was really.
01/04/2017 07:44 PMPosted by Andurath
Like I said before, if I wanted to do something, I generally had the freedom to do it in a way I wanted to.
I could cherry pick plenty of examples that counter your point of view.

You've always gotten flight when Blizz said you could have it, not when you wanted it.
Its one wing of one raid. If that five minutes is asking too much of you, tough.
No instead you had to enter dungeons or raids for crafting.
RNG has been screwing us over since the beginning. Not once did I see a set of Valor shoulders drop prior to BC's launch. Random is random.
Classes were not stable from Vanilla to Cata. That's just a total crock. There have always been threads in this place decrying the myriad class changes that go in when a new expansion launches. Happens. Every. Time.
I completely agree with the OP. This is what once made WoW great and is now missing. You used to be able to play the way you wanted and progress your character that way. There was little forcing people into content they didn't want to do. Now it's everywhere.
I'm sure it's of no surprise that I don't agree with all of your points (being human, if I did that would be frightening). The great majority of them however I do agree with fully.

We've never had total free reign to play anyway we wanted. It's Blizzard's design and they set the parameters of what leads to what and to what end. The last two expansions however, there has been a marked tendency to put in things they know will cause turmoil and conflict within the player base.

Whether the change is due to them wanting a lot of people talking about the game, they just don't care what the players say and will do whatever to make themselves happy, or that they know something that we don't about how the true majority feels (seeing the subscription drop prior to their casually deciding it wasn't important to announce it anymore though, I doubt that).

My play-time has dropped drastically since mid-WoD and hasn't really picked up any at all. Legion is a very good expansion but, with the distrust and feeling of being led on with promises only to cover an alternate agenda left over from WoD, I just see the Pathfinder, RNG, X-Realm, etc., to be just more of 'we know what is fun' and that covers all.

I still play from time to time but honestly I play less now in a week than I used to play in a single sitting. I maintain hope that it may turn around at some point but that hope is fading with each new announcement from the Devs.
01/04/2017 07:34 PMPosted by Andurath

All the same, adios.

until Warlords, questing was not required to fly
explorer was not required to fly
reps were not required to fly but done by those who wanted said rep
dailies now known as world quests were not required to fly
finding treasures was not required

and in Legion

they added varied dungeons to those requirements
a raid boss to the requirements
a part 2 to the requirements

up until Legion, my professions did not require dungeons, A specific recipe in a dungeon or behind a boss sure, a special mat sure but merely to rank up a recipe I already trained and nope and NO Uldaman was NOT required, you could reach the trainer via the back door

Until Warlords, I quested, explored my way through Azeroth happily, I chose the reps I wanted, did the dailies I wanted, did instanced content when I wanted now fast forward to Warlords on and all of that is now done per requirement.

I cant speak for others but I can speak for my family, pay to play the way I enjoy it in the manner I enjoy it and I paid happily from 3 weeks post launch of WOW and would have continued to happily pay indefinitely but to pay to play largely per an ever increasing list of arbitrary requirements and it is 3 down and 1 to go for my family.
01/04/2017 07:44 PMPosted by Nagra
It's not your game, even the characters you play are not yours. If you do not like all these things than it's time for a different game. Minecraft may give you more of what YOU want.

Can't argue with that, it is NOT my game, nor have I ever suggested it was. Blizzard can of course do what they want with their title. I can do what I like with my money. As someone who enjoyed WoW for a long time, I felt like giving some feedback on my current state of mind regarding it.

01/04/2017 07:44 PMPosted by Derkhammer
Apparently, RNG is a new thing that we've never had to deal with before. Also at some point in the past, PvP-specific rewards were widely attainable without having to PvP for them. We've also never had dungeon quests before. Its also completely ridiculous that Orcs are no longer part of the Alliance.

Hyperbole does not suit you.

RNG is not new, but it has expanded severely. In Vanilla, I would run Stratholme and hope for my Magister's pants to drop off the Baron. If the Legion model were being run back then, I would have to hope for Titanforged Magister's Pants to drop off the Baron with an iLvL of 50-60+.

In BC I could turn in a Token for raid tier armor to an NPC and purchase the PvP equivalent. So, yes, PvP armor was obtainable through PvE content.

Dungeon Quests are Dungeon Quests. They don't really apply to an achievement like Loremaster. Not sure what your point is here.

Its not ridiculous that Orcs aren't part of the Alliance, but I do feel its become ridiculous that there is always some kind of forced conflict painting one or both sides as ignorant, when WC3's ending gave us an image of the Horde and Alliance not being at war with each other anymore. I'm not saying remove the factions, but why create this hard line with the game, exactly? Not like we haven't had Orcs and Humans cooperating dozens of times since Vanilla (Ahn'Qiraj for example). Would it be so terrible if players were able to form groups/raids/guilds with races from the other faction?
Class design, world quests, artifact weapons, Legendaries, the flight quest crap and the Dalaran again which I personally hate, are all huge negatives. Also, gear has never been less interesting before. I don't like titanforging and it was just an excuse to put like 1 new armor set in the game for each type of armor and call it a day. The excessive use of RNG shows a lack of thought put into things. They just added an algorithm to every single thing and it's not fun at all.
01/04/2017 07:57 PMPosted by Andurath
Hyperbole does not suit you.
Irony seems to suit you just fine.

Just admit that you made a whiny thread to get likes from other people and go play something else, dude. Happy trails.
Hey Derkhammer: Prior to Legion.

In what expac were we forced to do a raid for Loremaster?

None.

In what expac were we FORCED into dungeons to get BASIC crafting recipes?

None.

In what expac was a basic prof like cooking tied to an RNG laced Panda that swallowed thousands of mats and gave us NOTHING for months?

None.
At no point have we had free reign to just do whatever we want in this game.

I know.

And they somehow managed to take that, and take away freedom.
01/04/2017 08:02 PMPosted by Derkhammer
Just admit that you made a whiny thread to get likes from other people and go play something else, dude. Happy trails.

Can't admit what isn't true. I made the thread to see how many other people felt the way I do. Maybe a CM will read the thread and pass on my comments if people agree with them. I doubt they will. I'm not sure a CM would waste their time reading a thread like this. It doesn't exactly provide constructive feedback, just a list of grievances from a tired player who enjoyed the old days.

What's your purpose posting in this thread, if I may ask? You seem quite happy with the game and disagree with all my sentiments. Why not express how much you enjoy the current models the game is working under? Express some hope that in the next expansion your class will be drastically changed further? Maybe they'll shuffle the roles about and Elemental becomes a healing spec while Restoration is turned into a self-healing tank or something? Perhaps you're hoping the next expansion will have three or so versions of Titanforged for items? The hope that you'll have to complete every raid to Mythic difficulty in the next expansion to access the one after it?