Neltharion's Fury Now Completely Useless

Warrior
With the buffs to prot warrior AOE and the 2 piece set bonus providing a big bonus to critical block during SB, neltharion's fury has gone from a rarely used ability to a literally useless one.

Using neltharion's fury is a DPS loss in all scenarios now and the guaranteed critical block is less useful as mastery levels rise and the 2 set becomes available. The ability needs a rework.

Here is an idea I think would be suitable without being too strong.

Neltharion's Fury: Duration 8 seconds. The rage of the Earthwarder consumes you causing molten adamantium spikes to erupt from your skin. Increases armor by 25% and causes enemies in a 5 yard radius to take 50,000 fire damage per second for the duration.

The armor bonus, damage per second, and duration are all tweakable, but the key idea is that the warrior would be able to move around and use other abilities while the buff is active.

It would also be cool if there could be an animation for the adamantium spikes/scales. It would definitely make this a fun and useful ability to press.
It's always been a rather unimpressive ability, best use was in packs with battle cry.

So any kind of buff/change would be appreciated. It always need to be able to move while channeled or do something to make it more generally useful.

I agree that critical block is devalued for this tier, and they didn't touch the base damage it does nor our artifact trait's proc damage.
It is still useful for Cenarius if you still run EN. The 100% crit block on the spear is really good. 60% damage reduction (plus armor / any defensives you use as well). Such small pools.

However I found no real use for it in NH yet.

Side note: Tanking the star guy as a warrior is aids. Shield block so useless until phase 3 if you are tanking the big add. Nothing to block besides that since the boss never melees.
Honestly at this point in time i'm wondering if anyone at blizz even plays a prot tank because everything this xpax has been aids for us besides when it first launched then after that we have just been getting nerfed and changed so much that now most people i know that played prot warrior has switch from them to other tanks.
The ability is useful for Spellblade as you can block her annihilate. Use it on every even one for max effect.

Only boss so far that it is very useful for NH
Though it is stupid how it is only good for 3 bosses in T19 that I can find.

Spiderbird for raking talons (it is blockable and you can use spell reflect, also intercept to the other tank to intercept it so thats another 10% damage taken off it)

Cenarius for Nightmare spear, as it can be blocked.

And Spellblade for annihilate.
Very disappointed that your name isn't Bullshevik
01/22/2017 04:08 AMPosted by Mankrik
Very disappointed that your name isn't Bullshevik

Mankrik, you made my day with this comment. Sorry about your wife.
wish some Blizz employees would comment on this. biggest issue is the channel i never you the ability.

Seriously find 2 things wrong with this. as a tank if i'm main tanking i'm always moving or getting ready to move as a OT the damage is so little whats the point.

If they just removed the channel effect i would find it a bit more useful in helping me reset my shield block stacks from time to time.

Saw a few other threads about how people talked about the changes in 7.2 and still would be useless. and no i don't feel epic or even special with the shield at all, other then it looks cool.

there are several class though that have similar problems. other classes where their traits are a huge part of rotation. just think blizz said "warrior, eh have them breath fire like Deathwing and throw some def ability in it for the tank role"
it's mainly used to fill the gap of shield block up time.
I would just be happy if it made us CC/disorient/knockback immune for its duration so a random trash mob can not "upper cut" us out of our artifact ability... and of course being allowed to move while channeling it because it is never a good idea to be stationary for too long.
it wouldn't be as bad if we could still use other offensive abilities to generate rage and if it didn't reset the swing timer
It is actualy a dps AND survivability downgrade to use so. rip
I wouldn't say it's completely useless.

There are moments when I'm tanking a dungeon or something and I need a drink.

Hit the button and I have 3 seconds to take a sip.
I still don't understand why it doesn't work with 4p prot bonus.

Crit blocks generate 5 rage.

Nelth's fury, raise your shield critically blocking all attacks.

Was it an oversight or am I crazy and it does actually generate rage?
03/04/2017 03:43 AMPosted by Actionblaxon

Knowing how blizzard works they probably thought it would be too strong.
03/04/2017 10:11 AMPosted by Drako
03/04/2017 03:43 AMPosted by Actionblaxon

Knowing how blizzard works they probably thought it would be too strong.

Yeah, an ability that we get that does AOE DAMAGE? OP! And and makes us crit block? OP!

Sure we can't move while casting, Sure we can't AA while casting, Sure we can't use abilities while casting, sure we do less damage, sure we are less defensive.

But just think how op the ability would be if it actually did something!
Artifact Instants for tanks below. I wowhead summarized these just now so please let me know if anything is wrong.

Paly - 1 min - Eye of Tyr - 9 sec -25% all damage + damage
Druids - 1.5 min - Rage of sleeper - 10 sec -25% all damage + damage
Monks - 1.25 min - Exploding Key - 3 seconds of all melee misses + damage
* not sure on specifics for these misses. Doesn't sound great but better than our cast for 3 seconds of blocking.
DK - 45 sec - Consumption - +% physical hit that then heals you for 100% of that.
* not sure how good this is. Checked one log and it seems like a weak IP.
Warriors - 45 sec - Neltharion's Fury - 3 sec cast for critical blocks of physical damage + damage aoe dps.

Base -25% damage for palys and druids scales so much better as the expansion progresses. It will always be useful for everything. Flat mitigation for all damage is so damn powerful compared to rare situational use abilities like ours. Its not even comparable.
I think they should just remove the channel. Let the shield keep spitting fire for 3 seconds while you do whatever you need to do.

No other tank artifact ability has a cast or channel, for a reason: tanks have other stuff they need to do. Consumption is pretty terrible on a spec that's already pigeonholed into responding after damage has already been done but at least it doesn't interfere with your rotation or mobility (if DKs had any in the first place).

Oh, and also the bug pointed out by Actionblaxon above should be fixed.

They probably didn't want to do those things when the spec was OP overall, but now that it has been nerfed several times, maybe they could look at it?