Ret Pally Design.

Arenas
If you were hired for the specfic purpose of designing the ret paladin spec what would you do?

How would you make the spec fun again etc? Because right now it's lacking flavor.
Remove auto bubble
01/25/2017 10:06 AMPosted by Thell
Remove auto bubble

That's a great start tbh. It promotes brainless gameplay, and deserves to be not a thing. Anything else in terms of design choices?

I know you have some. It's never good to stop at one thing you need to keep moving forward.
Remove 100% damage while bubbled, but give something like (idk what the talent is that automatically procs divine) up to 40% instead of 20% health.
First off remove holy power or change the system. I can see what they were going for here with the "class fantasy" stuff, but I feel like ret was much more fun before they added holy power. Same with focus and hunters, and maelstrom with shamans. It just doesn't feel good to play.
Emancipate.
01/25/2017 11:35 AMPosted by Cofrancesco
First off remove holy power or change the system. I can see what they were going for here with the "class fantasy" stuff, but I feel like ret was much more fun before they added holy power. Same with focus and hunters, and maelstrom with shamans. It just doesn't feel good to play.

Yeah no. Spamming divine storm off cooldown and not being able to even use our abilities because we were OOM wasn't fun compared to what we had in Cata/MoP/WoD.

Wrath was amazing but don't act like class design for every spec was at its best.

Throwing cata WoGs was probably the most fun I've had in this game on ret.
01/25/2017 10:01 AMPosted by Truepally
If you were hired for the specfic purpose of designing the ret paladin spec what would you do?

How would you make the spec fun again etc? Because right now it's lacking flavor.

Simple changes my good man.

1.) Cavalier has been replaced with:
"Tirion's Vengeance."
20 Second Cooldown
The paladin leaps into the air toward a targeted location, dealing damage to all enemies and healing all allies within 12 yards.

Why? Because paladin mobility is really lacking. With BoF being spellstolen every. single. time. paladins usually can be kited pretty easily. It has some WoW lore base, seeing as most paladin NPCs have a leap like ability.

Also, it's on the same tier as the instant Bubble so many people hate, making it a tough choice for paladins to choose.

No more running into door ways! yay!

-- Two side notes;
1. Spellsteal needs a cooldown, you GAIN a buff, it's beyond broken.
2. "Zerg the Paladin" over the last 10 years is why we have instant bubble, its been a rough life let me tell you.

2.) Holy Wrath has been redesigned.
Holy Wrath
20 Second Cooldown
Strike the enemy with a bolt of Holy Energy, exploding into a thousand shafts of light that radiate outwards damaging all nearby enemies.

(Fist of Heavens from Diablo2)

Why? Holy Wrath is not used in PvE and has just been a pain to balance in PvP. It's not usually used in either right now. It's a waste of space.

3.) PvP talents - Row 4 (Holy Ritual, Cleansing Light and Luminescence have been redesigned into Auras. Now with visuals!!!)

Holy Aura
45 second cooldown - last for 6 seconds.
- Allies within 20 yards are instantly healed for X and again for Y when the aura fades.

Cleansing Aura
45 second cooldown - Lasts for 12 seconds
- All allies within 20 yards will be cleansed of all poison and disease effects once every 4 seconds. (3 cleanses)

Luminescence Aura
45 second cooldown - Last 10 seconds
- When the paladin is healed by another source, all allies within 20 yards are healed for 40% of the amount.

Why? Because it adds a lot of class fantasy back to the paladin. Being around the paladin feels beneficial and auras coming back with a graphic would be pretty cool.

4.) Another PvP talent change. Seraphim's Blessing replaces Divine Punisher and is adjusted to AW procing once every 30 seconds.

I really think paladins need to have a tier dedicated to offensive and defensive auras, with visuals to help produce that "a paladin is close to me" feeling.
01/25/2017 12:18 PMPosted by Zaim
01/25/2017 10:01 AMPosted by Truepally

Simple changes my good man.

1.) Cavalier has been replaced with:
"Tirion's Vengeance."
20 Second Cooldown
The paladin leaps into the air toward a targeted location, dealing damage to all enemies and healing all allies within 12 yards.

Why? Because paladin mobility is really lacking. With BoF being spellstolen every. single. time. paladins usually can be kited pretty easily. It has some WoW lore base, seeing as most paladin NPCs have a leap like ability.

Also, it's on the same tier as the instant Bubble so many people hate, making it a tough choice for paladins to choose.

No more running into door ways! yay!

-- Two side notes;
1. Spellsteal needs a cooldown, you GAIN a buff, it's beyond broken.
2. "Zerg the Paladin" over the last 10 years is why we have instant bubble, its been a rough life let me tell you.

2.) Holy Wrath has been redesigned.
Holy Wrath
20 Second Cooldown
Strike the enemy with a bolt of Holy Energy, exploding into a thousand shafts of light that radiate outwards damaging all nearby enemies.

(Fist of Heavens from Diablo2)

Why? Holy Wrath is not used in PvE and has just been a pain to balance in PvP. It's not usually used in either right now. It's a waste of space.

3.) PvP talents - Row 4 (Holy Ritual, Cleansing Light and Luminescence have been redesigned into Auras. Now with visuals!!!)

Holy Aura
45 second cooldown - last for 6 seconds.
- Allies within 20 yards are instantly healed for X and again for Y when the aura fades.

Cleansing Aura
45 second cooldown - Lasts for 12 seconds
- All allies within 20 yards will be cleansed of all poison and disease effects once every 4 seconds. (3 cleanses)

Luminescence Aura
45 second cooldown - Last 10 seconds
- When the paladin is healed by another source, all allies within 20 yards are healed for 40% of the amount.

Why? Because it adds a lot of class fantasy back to the paladin. Being around the paladin feels beneficial and auras coming back with a graphic would be pretty cool.

4.) Another PvP talent change. Seraphim's Blessing replaces Divine Punisher and is adjusted to AW procing once every 30 seconds.

I really think paladins need to have a tier dedicated to offensive and defensive auras, with visuals to help produce that "a paladin is close to me" feeling.

Interesting way to put things tbh. I especially love the Tirions Vengeance ability that you've mentioned. It definitely would be better than this pony shyt we have now.

These Aura's are also great tbh. We'd be a top notch support class with those. I love your definition of flavor.
01/25/2017 11:36 AMPosted by Dartail
Emancipate.

100% agreed. I really miss this ability. I would love to see it back.

I don't ever recall a time when we didn't have Holy Power. When was this during?
Hotfixes:

Remove Holy Wrath, replace with Empowered Seals

Remove Autobubble, make talent reduce bubble/SoV cooldown

Judgement of light has 5 charges and heals for a decent amount instead of 40 charges that heal for nothing

Hammer of Reckoning cooldown reduced with haste. Judgement PvP talent gives 2 holy power each judgement when used on the same target instead of every other one

JV healing PvP - modifier removed

WoG heal 1 person for a lot instead of entire team for nothing

Divine Steed unsnarable like prot, like wraithwalk like every other gap closer etc.
01/25/2017 11:40 AMPosted by Dartail
Throwing cata WoGs was probably the most fun I've had in this game on ret.

The feels

BibleThump
Remove auto bubble
50% less damage during bubble
Bop pacified you again
Remove divine steed
Bring back the 40% movement speed increase on judgement(long arm of the law??)
Emancipate
01/25/2017 02:32 PMPosted by Shevski
Remove auto bubble
50% less damage during bubble
Bop pacified you again
Remove divine steed
Bring back the 40% movement speed increase on judgement(long arm of the law??)
Emancipate

This is literally all that needs to be done legit to make our play style more enjoyable and not lame.
Crusader strike/Zeal charges would be some kind of 2 hits combo with different animations.
Wings gives you slow fall again
01/25/2017 01:15 PMPosted by Truepally

I don't ever recall a time when we didn't have Holy Power. When was this during?

Holy Power was added in Cata I believe
  • Remove auto-bubble. Revert bubble CD reduction to previous 50% or reduce both bubble and Shield of Vengeance CDs.
  • Everyone but Blizzard seems to agree that auto-bubble is bad design.

• Increase ret paladin mobility or give a magic defensive that can't be purged.
  • Blizzard said ret paladins would be compensated for their low mobility by having strong defensives, but most of their defensive spells can be easily removed or are ineffective against magic. This leaves ret paladins cowering behind pillars.

Either Divine Steed should suppress slows or they should get an anti-caster CD.