Trade chat vs General chat question

General Discussion
For the past few months I've been noticing people in Org or Stormwind using general chat to ask questions instead of Trade chat. When I mention it, they claim more people read General than Trade. Isn't Trade set to reach all faction cities, as well as both Dalarans, Shrine, all garrisons and class halls? How is General chat in a single city reaching more people? Has something changed or is there some mis-information going around people are falling for?
Trade chat is where it's at.
A lot of people do disable trade chat just because it is trade chat... If I was in a popular city like Org, I'd probably go ahead and ask in general just so I don't have to filter out all the junk, guild recruiting, run selling, etc. that goes on. If I was somewhere low pop like Darnassus, probably not worth the chance that someone else is there and I'd ask in trade.
My understanding is that General Chat is zone-based, while Trade Chat is realm-based. People from other realms can use the same General Chat is when cross-real zoned in the same city/zone. Only people from the same connected realm can access the Trade Chat from city/garrison/class hall.
Good question. I've learned over the years to turn off all public channels due to the general nonsense, but it's quite possible things may be migrating from Trade to General.
I iggy trade chat cause of content spam. I don't ignore the general chat.
02/22/2017 01:06 PMPosted by Cihys
A lot of people do disable trade chat just because it is trade chat

That's what I do as soon as I create a new character. I'm not interested in all of the spamming and debate in Trade chat. And if I need help with something, one might as well ask those who are already in the same zone of the game, so I'll ask in General chat.
On trade chat you can troll people in your server group across all cities, and on general chat you can troll all people from any server zoned into your specific area instance.

So it's really just about which audience you want to annoy with Trump memes or whatever.
Using General chat is a great way to troll Trade chat trolls.

It's weird, but it makes sense when you do it.
02/22/2017 01:07 PMPosted by Jesminia
My understanding is that General Chat is zone-based, while Trade Chat is realm-based. People from other realms can use the same General Chat is when cross-real zoned in the same city/zone. Only people from the same connected realm can access the Trade Chat from city/garrison/class hall.

This is correct. Trade is only your realm, General is a bunch of different realms so you get more variety of people who can answer your question.
I have /2 disabled on a lot of my toons. I got tired of seeing things like this:

"Where's the blacksmith in Org?" -Person 1
"Your moms bedroom. lol" -Person 2

~Lara
I have them both off.
02/22/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Kaeriana
For the past few months I've been noticing people in Org or Stormwind using general chat to ask questions instead of Trade chat. When I mention it, they claim more people read General than Trade. Isn't Trade set to reach all faction cities, as well as both Dalarans, Shrine, all garrisons and class halls? How is General chat in a single city reaching more people? Has something changed or is there some mis-information going around people are falling for?
While I agree with your points, I believe it has to do with CRZ.... see in Orgrimmar or Stormwind, you are CRZ'd with a couple dozen other realms worth of players. SO.... I believe Trade Chat is exclusive to JUST your realm. Sure, you can still use Trade, but for the most part, and I don't know why since CRZ'd players CAN NOT trade anything, join guilds etc. all of that stuff cross-realm, I guess they just use General Chat more.
02/22/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Kaeriana

On Dentarg/Whisperwind there is almost total silence in trade chat, I'm more likely to see people talking in general. But I think that is because there are just not that many Horde players on this server.

On Spirestone/all the rest of the group.....there is nonstop trade chat going on.

I figured it had more to do with population.
02/22/2017 01:33 PMPosted by Laralanthus
I have /2 disabled on a lot of my toons. I got tired of seeing things like this:

"Where's the blacksmith in Org?" -Person 1
"Your moms bedroom. lol" -Person 2

~Lara

I have things isolated and simply have to tab to Guild chat tab to avoid dealing with the other chats if I so choose. I still need to use those chats for... a, cat things.
This makes sense now. I've recently returned to the game and was surprised so many people used general. It used to always be /2 no matter the content.
Why would you ever ask questions Trade or General?

"What boss does [Linked Legging Gear] drop?"
"You mom drops [Linked Legging Gear]."

Leave both of those channels and the quality of the game increases 200%.

Just google your question like any self respecting player would.
I'm trying to keep Trade open as long as I can. Some people still do try to use it for legitimate game discussion.

I use Badboy to filter out a lot of nonsense and failing that I use Global Ignore. I report folks at times just to mute them temporarily, but they usually show up again with their non-game-related nonense. So I have to ignore them. Up to over 300 toons on ignore. It's not a bragging right, it's a sad commentary on how horrible this game's chat channels have become and how much Blizzard doesn't enforce it's own ToC.
How do I get to trade chat?
You must be in any racial/home or hub city or your garrison. Dalaran (both), Shattrah and the Shrines in MoP are hub cities. Yes -- if you are the opposite faction in a city you still get trade -- but it is for your faction and not the opposing.

By default, if you haven't turned it off, trade is /2. To talk just start a new line of text and begin it with /2 whatever you want to say.

When you are out and about, it is /1 for general.

One of the current reasons for asking questions in /1 in cities is because it reaches everyone in that City while trade only reaches your realm. So if you are looking to buy/sell, please be smart and not get tagged for spam by being in /1. If we aren't connected, we can't interact like that.