Hunter and Pet - Soloing Guide Updated 7.15

Hunter
11/13/2017 01:09 PMPosted by Lazyguide
Have you tried Nythendra on heroic yet by chance?

Not sure if I'd have the deeps for it, took me 8m 45sec to kill on normal.
Willing to give it a shot and see what happens.
11/13/2017 04:31 PMPosted by Darkynhalvos
11/13/2017 01:09 PMPosted by Lazyguide
Have you tried Nythendra on heroic yet by chance?

Not sure if I'd have the deeps for it, took me 8m 45sec to kill on normal.
Willing to give it a shot and see what happens.
DPS was the hardest thing about that fight as well for me. So long as you have roots of shaldrassil it should be doable (assuming you can DPS her enough).
11/13/2017 05:46 AMPosted by Ehiztari
10/17/2017 11:03 AMPosted by Darkynhalvos
The thread title specifically states SOLOING guide, not max raid dps guide.

My apologies for not addressing this earlier. I missed it when it first posted and I've been busy dealing with a few other issues.

To answer your question, no I am not illiterate, but just because something *says* it's a soloing guide doesn't mean it has any value as one.

Somewhere, someone saw a mountain of advice and rather than evaluate it as to whether or not it was good advice, they simply mistook the volume of it for its value and pinned it here.

Solo play or otherwise, much of the advice given here is just plain wrong.

Burning a cooldown on keeping Mend Pet up constantly? No.

Burning every DPS cooldown at every opportunity? No.

The Barrage recommendation (particularly with the 7.1.5 nerf)? No.

It's a fluff piece, period, with little or negative actual value to Hunters.

If anything, solo play requires BETTER attention to managing your resources (time, cooldowns, and the potential for synergy between abilities).

Lazy's advice here is bad, just plain bad. He even admits as much at least once, although he blames it on not having updated this in some time and the issues I raised were wrong as of the time he wrote it for 7.1.5, so there's that.

We are a DPS class, period.

Solo or in groups, be they legacy, timewalking, raiding, or mythics, that's our strength.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, in this thread provided by the OP effectively addresses how to make the most of it and much of what he says will actively reduce your effectiveness in the world.

What about that says "This is a worthy solo-play guide" to you?

I honestly can't believe you're not trolling. This is truly bizarre lol
11/13/2017 09:00 PMPosted by Divljak
11/13/2017 05:46 AMPosted by Ehiztari
My apologies for not addressing this earlier. I missed it when it first posted and I've been busy dealing with a few other issues.

To answer your question, no I am not illiterate, but just because something *says* it's a soloing guide doesn't mean it has any value as one.

Somewhere, someone saw a mountain of advice and rather than evaluate it as to whether or not it was good advice, they simply mistook the volume of it for its value and pinned it here.

Solo play or otherwise, much of the advice given here is just plain wrong.

Burning a cooldown on keeping Mend Pet up constantly? No.

Burning every DPS cooldown at every opportunity? No.

The Barrage recommendation (particularly with the 7.1.5 nerf)? No.

It's a fluff piece, period, with little or negative actual value to Hunters.

If anything, solo play requires BETTER attention to managing your resources (time, cooldowns, and the potential for synergy between abilities).

Lazy's advice here is bad, just plain bad. He even admits as much at least once, although he blames it on not having updated this in some time and the issues I raised were wrong as of the time he wrote it for 7.1.5, so there's that.

We are a DPS class, period.

Solo or in groups, be they legacy, timewalking, raiding, or mythics, that's our strength.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, in this thread provided by the OP effectively addresses how to make the most of it and much of what he says will actively reduce your effectiveness in the world.

What about that says "This is a worthy solo-play guide" to you?

I honestly can't believe you're not trolling. This is truly bizarre lol

Can't say it's trolling when he's pretty on point
Ok so...I haven't played WOW in 4 or so years and just picked it back up. Came here to figure out what talents to pick, and what rotation to use. This was really the only "guide" I found on these forums, and honestly it's hard to read and figure out what I need.

The skills/rotation section was the roughest part, the "use all your DPS cooldowns" was not helpful at all. There are a large number of skills that I assume should be pressed in the right order to maximize efficiency. There is no explanation of what any of them do, or the best order to click them in.

I have more questions than answers and now have to go around looking for a more appropriate guide. This took a lot of time, and I give you credit for that, but it doesn't answer any questions, and apparently according to everybody else who posted, most of the information is incorrect.

It's not a valuable guide for new players, or people picking up a game after 4 years.
what would be the best stats I should work form as a hunter ie stamina focus ect.
Awesome guide! I was struggling with MM survivability and these macros should help tons!! Thanks!!
04/11/2018 11:53 PMPosted by Roreii
Ok so...I haven't played WOW in 4 or so years and just picked it back up. Came here to figure out what talents to pick, and what rotation to use. This was really the only "guide" I found on these forums, and honestly it's hard to read and figure out what I need.

The skills/rotation section was the roughest part, the "use all your DPS cooldowns" was not helpful at all. There are a large number of skills that I assume should be pressed in the right order to maximize efficiency. There is no explanation of what any of them do, or the best order to click them in.

I have more questions than answers and now have to go around looking for a more appropriate guide. This took a lot of time, and I give you credit for that, but it doesn't answer any questions, and apparently according to everybody else who posted, most of the information is incorrect.

It's not a valuable guide for new players, or people picking up a game after 4 years.

This is my problem in a nutshell. I don't know why Blizz needs to make it so hard for players to pick the game back up.
04/11/2018 11:53 PMPosted by Roreii

Until you hit 110, it's not going to matter a lot, but once you get there, you can find very good rotation information at Icy Veins.

Their information is aimed at high-end raiding (primarily) but the information is still good - it will show you how to get the most out of your DPS abilities.

We're a DPS class.

This "guide" is idiotic, I agree, and it getting sticky status has to be some sort of nepotism with the admin of this board.

"Blast away with all cooldowns all the time" is just horrible advice, even in solo play.

I've looked at publishing e-book pamphlets with rotation information for each spec, but the constant tweaks to the system make doing any such thing impractical.

Instead, I'd suggest you start your week* looking at Icy Veins for the specialization you intend to play.

Find a way to get your abilities laid out in your UI in a way that makes implementing it simple. I use ElvUI and a home-grown addon to help me with it.

Macro every attack ability and include growl and misdirection management in those macros. I can help you with that if you need it.

Practice, practice, practice your rotation until it's muscle memory.

If something in your rotation has to change because of Blizzard's tweaks, make your best effort to leverage your muscle memory by moving things around in your UI rather than concentrating on developing NEW muscle memory.

My old guild (well, it's still there, but I'm raiding with Outcast Order with this toon), is <Prodigals> on Earthen Ring and it's raison d'être is and always has been providing a home for returning players.

* "Week" is defined here as beginning immediately after the maintenance window, although you might want to wait until Wednesday to give the Icy Veins folks time to analyze and post any alternations to rotations mandated by changes in the most-current maintenance/patch.
04/29/2018 02:17 PMPosted by Yavanna
what would be the best stats I should work form as a hunter ie stamina focus ect.
Simplest answer here is going to be to use Raidbots to sim your toon.

I pull the basics from Icy Veins, but from there and based on the context of the gear I happen to have (versus a wish list of stuff I might never actually acquire), Raidbots will tell you what gear is best in slot for you and then based on equipping that, will tell you where you need to boost stats.

It's a bit of a learning curve to get it to do all that for you, but it will.

There is no one right answer, though.

Just within the BM spec, there are different stat priorities based on which talent build you're using.

MM I gave up on after my first few raids. The conflict between "don't stand in the crap" and "if I move, I lose DPS" was more annoying than I could deal with.

SV I haven't used for anything except solo fun (and it is fun).
I use a scarab from Temple of Ahn'Qiraj. I have always loved those things because they can take a beating. I have a stag just in case because of the 10% extra health. But I prefer the scarab. Looks so awesome kicking a boss's butt. Lol.
I love to solo content.
I wish they would bring back caltrops trap. I loved the trap.
08/11/2018 11:51 PMPosted by Katzznhb
I use a scarab from Temple of Ahn'Qiraj. I have always loved those things because they can take a beating. I have a stag just in case because of the 10% extra health. But I prefer the scarab. Looks so awesome kicking a boss's butt. Lol.
I love to solo content.
I wish they would bring back caltrops trap. I loved the trap.

Used to love using a gorilla as a boss tank, was always funny watching him scratch his butt like he was saying to the boss "Excuse me while I scratch this itch".
With any luck new players will look to the end of this thread instead for the most current information and have at least a shot at bypassing the idiotic advice in the beginning of it.

I've finally updated my 8.0.1 BM Hunter Guide (and macro tutorial).

Sorry, I don't play MM or SV just yet and I won't write a guide about specs I don't play, but the basics of the macros are likely to be useful for every hunter.

This link is duplicated in the main part of the forum, but that's likely to drop down into obscurity in the nearish future and I thought it might be a good idea to post it in the sticky-thread.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p1d7uw5l2cf6spb/Hunter_BM_Guide_%25288.0.1%2529.pdf/file
For the most part, you can solo everything in Vanilla & BC in any spec, with your eyes closed and full on drunk if you choose. Wrath, pretty much the same. Just gotta be careful with mechanics on Lich King. You do need to be BM with a spirit beast if you want to 100% by healing the Dragon. 1 spirit mend will do it even on 25H.

Cata fairly easy on all levels. DS being somewhat the exception. Again, mechanics of Spine of deathwing.

Mists is no problem at all. 25H on Sha of Fear can be difficult (do 10H). But everything including SoO is soloable, even on mythic. (gotta be quick in the treasure vault. Go for the big boxes). I do it all as Marks. I do have to bring out a pet when doing the Vaults on the final boss. Only because of the Emps Courage that has the shield and will always face you.

Warlords. Normal is easy. Heroic not too bad. Mythic, I had to go BM for the damage. Mythic Butcher was tough because you have to kill him before his cleave insta kills you (even though the damage is negligible). Mythic BRF wasnt tough, but the forge is giving me fits killing the engineers before they heal the doors.
Tried HFC on mythic, but didnt know the mechanics on the first fight and lost. So Ill be hitting that up again.

But 99% of everything can be done through normal, and probably heroic WoD as Marks with just a barrage, multishot and aimed shot on bosses.
09/18/2018 07:57 PMPosted by Ehiztari
With any luck new players will look to the end of this thread instead for the most current information and have at least a shot at bypassing the idiotic advice in the beginning of it.

I've finally updated my 8.0.1 BM Hunter Guide (and macro tutorial).

Sorry, I don't play MM or SV just yet and I won't write a guide about specs I don't play, but the basics of the macros are likely to be useful for every hunter.

This link is duplicated in the main part of the forum, but that's likely to drop down into obscurity in the nearish future and I thought it might be a good idea to post it in the sticky-thread.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p1d7uw5l2cf6spb/Hunter_BM_Guide_%25288.0.1%2529.pdf/file

This is a SOLOING thread, not a regular instance DPS guide.
Absolutely nothing in my guide demands that you group.

In fact, many of the macro techniques shown in there are only useful OUTSIDE of groups.

One thing in particular is code that very actively converts your pet into an efficient and effective tank (for example).

The advice given by the OP was out of date as of its original posting date and is horrible advice (even for solo play).

We are a DPS class. Any advice that fails to acknowledge that and lean in on maximizing our DPS falls into the category of bad advice.

The effort involved in setting up your keys to make it essentially automatic to be the best Beast Master Hunter you can be without having to consciously micro-manage all the details of your pet on top of your own rotation isn't that difficult to master and explaining it isn't that hard either.

Essentially the OP's advice was to blast away with every CD at every opportunity.

It hardly requires a sticky thread to say that.

I still can't figure out how this got stickied in the first place as (as mentioned) it was poor advice and out of date even when it was not almost an entire XPAC old.