Legendary Drop Rates

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
The rate at which players acquire Legendary items is a subject that we’ve kept a very close eye on since the launch of Legion. We’ve generally tried to avoid getting into too much technical detail on the system behind your chance to get a Legendary, but we would like to say a bit more on what we’ve done behind-the-scenes up to this point.

As many players have figured out, changes were made to legendary drop rates with patch 7.1 and patch 7.1.5 – when those patches went live, your chance to receive a Legendary increased in pretty much all cases. What you might not have noticed is that we’ve been steadily increasing your chances since then. One of our long-term goals is to allow you to switch specific Legendary items in and out as the situation warrants, and regularly increasing drop chances is one way of ensuring that that happens.

We’ve also made adjustments that leveled off what used to be steady decrease to your chance to get subsequent Legendaries after your first. When Legion launched, every time you earned a Legendary, your starting chance to earn your next one would be lower (and thus, the average time it took you to loot it would be longer). At this stage, however, most players in the Broken Isles are no longer hunting for their first Legendary, and many already have their second. We didn’t want you to feel as though your good fortune in the past equates to harder times in the future, so we normalized drop chances for subsequent Legendaries after your second. Right now, in Patch 7.1.5, your first Legendary has the highest drop chance, the second still has a significant bonus, and then you’ll have the same chances to earn your third Legendary as you will your fourth, fifth, sixth, and so on.

We think it’s important to get this across clearly: it currently takes the same amount of luck/effort to get your third Legendary as it takes to get your eighth. We’ve seen a few players and tools attempting to use historical data to predict their drop chances, but because of how regularly we’ve been increasing Legendary drop rates, that data is extremely outdated – and their conclusions extremely inaccurate. In short, your chance of receiving that next Legendary is probably a lot better than you think.
No matter how long it takes, it still sucks getting a Sephuz
Yayyyyyyy thank you Ornyx for this information. Now to frequently cross-link it in posts for the next month+ >.>.
I really appreciate this communication, but can we get HARD NUMBERS on these chances, and continuously update them as they are changed? The attempt to keep a system that is the subject of so much derision "mysterious" only serves to make it MORE frustrating.
02/17/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Ebontotem
No matter how long it takes, it still sucks getting a Sephuz
Not as much as it used to though?
legendaries are boring, I'd rather not have any this expansion.

An item that you can get randomly that has no history or lore isn't legendary.
Glad this was clarified, been a couple posts lately from people having cows about not getting their BiS after 4 or 5 Legendaries and having to reroll their characters. They can finally calm down now and go back to their mains lol.
good. that site told me ~2 legs, have 4 lul
Still doeskin help that it takes 3-6 weeks per legendary at a minimum killing 30+ raid boss's, 10-20 mythic +, emissaries, weekly. The system is still broken.
Can I trade in my Prydaz/Sephuz for Sin boots. k thx.
My only problem is that I main Holy in my raid and don't yet have the Legendary I want, so I absolutely must keep my loot spec on Holy; I can't try and get my offspec Shadow Legendaries until then :(
I'd bet someone my first born child that they did "something" this week that warranted this post. Regardless I am glad they came out and said something. I just hope its true unlike the "LOLOLOL NO HARD CAP ON LEGENDARIES".
02/17/2017 01:00 PMPosted by Ornyx
The rate at which players acquire Legendary items is a subject that we’ve kept a very close eye on since the launch of Legion. We’ve generally tried to avoid getting into too much technical detail on the system behind your chance to get a Legendary, but we would like to say a bit more on what we’ve done behind-the-scenes up to this point.

As many players have figured out, changes were made to legendary drop rates with patch 7.1 and patch 7.1.5 – when those patches went live, your chance to receive a Legendary increased in pretty much all cases. What you might not have noticed is that we’ve been steadily increasing your chances since then. One of our long-term goals is to allow you to switch specific Legendary items in and out as the situation warrants, and regularly increasing drop chances is one way of ensuring that that happens.

We’ve also made adjustments that leveled off what used to be steady decrease to your chance to get subsequent Legendaries after your first. When Legion launched, every time you earned a Legendary, your starting chance to earn your next one would be lower (and thus, the average time it took you to loot it would be longer). At this stage, however, most players in the Broken Isles are no longer hunting for their first Legendary, and many already have their second. We didn’t want you to feel as though your good fortune in the past equates to harder times in the future, so we normalized drop chances for subsequent Legendaries after your second. Right now, in Patch 7.1.5, your first Legendary has the highest drop chance, the second still has a significant bonus, and then you’ll have the same chances to earn your third Legendary as you will your fourth, fifth, sixth, and so on.

We think it’s important to get this across clearly: it currently takes the same amount of luck/effort to get your third Legendary as it takes to get your eighth. We’ve seen a few players and tools attempting to use historical data to predict their drop chances, but because of how regularly we’ve been increasing Legendary drop rates, that data is extremely outdated – and their conclusions extremely inaccurate. In short, your chance of receiving that next Legendary is probably a lot better than you think.

I've seen 2 legendary items drop across 3 110 characters I play daily since august the 2nd one being literally last week on my warrior so apparently I have the !@#$tiests RNG in the universe.
02/17/2017 01:04 PMPosted by Gigabear
I really appreciate this communication, but can we get HARD NUMBERS on these chances, and continuously update them as they are changed? The attempt to keep a system that is the subject of so much derision "mysterious" only serves to make it MORE frustrating.

Blizz has never released HARD NUMBERS for anything. Any statistics you'be ever seen are data miners and wowhead observations.

Users are not privileged for this information and it's probably a semi complicated algorithm that you wouldn't understand even if they told you... -_-
I was asking for the numbers because Blue's idea of "balanced" droprates depending on content may not match up with mine. Heck for all we know a mythic +2 is the same as a mythic +15. Too many things left up to assumption right now.
That would explain how one dude in a single LFR wing received not 1 but 2 legendaries within 3 bosses.
Thanks for the update. Good changes overall. The passive increase to the drop rate over time should have been in at launch. You guys should apply lessons you learn in one part of the game (e.g. the way AK speeds up over time since launch) and apply it to other parts of the game more often.
Awesome!
I had a feeling the size of the 'buckets' that we'd be pouring chances into would be changing over time, and this confirms it.

Thank you for the transparency on droprates.
No matter what to say right now, just do something to fix this !@#$...a NPC for exchange 2 legendaries for other could be the answer you are looking for from the begining.