Answers to a Low DPS

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
02/23/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Ameghan
02/23/2017 12:51 PMPosted by Avermra
l

So how does your guild know who is trying?

It's obvious when they aren't. If they don't follow instructions, or afk during fights, blow the same mechanic repeatedly. But mostly, it's about attitude. The way they treat other people, the way they talk about themselves and the game. Whether they are participating in other guild activities.

Meters are just numbers. They don't tell the whole story. For example, my hps may drop because I have to run to the other side of the raid to heal someone about to die. Or my husbands dps may drop because he has been assigned to deal with a specific mechanic. Anyone in the team could lose dps in avoiding taking damage. All these things contribute to the win.

ok, so how do you know, during a wipe, what caused it, and what you can do to make the next attempt better, when it ia not glaring mistakes like standing in one shot mechanics?

Lets say during the pull, both tanks died. How do you assess this situation?
02/23/2017 11:27 AMPosted by Dranov
You know what? I'm just about tired of always looking at the DPS numbers on ReCount and other such meters, and being disappointed by being beat out for DPS by everyone and the tank.

For now on, I'm just going to play the game, enjoy the lore, and play the class that I love to play.

If you know your class, and have the rotations down pat, there is not reason to track your dps.

Now, if you raid and don't care about your performance as a player and just play to run around and be your character, yes, the time that you wasted for the other 10-20- 40 people in your raid matters, and you should care about dps.

Do whatever you want solo, but if you join other groups you should respect them enough to play your class well.
I mean, I agree with the OP *as long as he is doing the appropriate content and not expecting to be carried*.

I don't know why he is being down voted. His attitude is very healthy - we all have different reasons for playing this game, and if his works for him and the people he plays with, then more power to him. Bless.
02/23/2017 01:06 PMPosted by Frostyclaw
You know what? I'm just about tired of always looking at the DPS numbers on ReCount and other such meters, and being disappointed by being beat out for DPS by everyone and the tank.

For now on, I'm just going to play the game, enjoy the lore, and play the class that I love to play.

If you know your class, and have the rotations down pat, there is not reason to track your dps.

Now, if you raid and don't care about your performance as a player and just play to run around and be your character, yes, the time that you wasted for the other 10-20- 40 people in your raid matters, and you should care about dps.

Do whatever you want solo, but if you join other groups you should respect them enough to play your class well.

Well, presumably if you raid there are logical consequences to not pulling your weight: you no longer get to raid. Nor should you. Which is why some of us track our DPS very carefully. I happen to enjoy squeezing out every ounce of damage possible.

But I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.
Yes... don't be mad if people doesn't want you. Just that.
Ok. Enjoy the lore in LFR then
02/23/2017 11:31 AMPosted by Amyiss

Does anyone agree?

I mean that's the easy solution.

The more rewarding solution might be doing some research and fixing your problem instead of ignoring it.
Oh the horror of someone who simply wants to play the game to have fun instead of being a no lifer on a hamster wheel playing like a robot like you.
02/23/2017 01:17 PMPosted by Carmageddon
I mean, I agree with the OP *as long as he is doing the appropriate content and not expecting to be carried*.

I don't know why he is being down voted. His attitude is very healthy - we all have different reasons for playing this game, and if his works for him and the people he plays with, then more power to him. Bless.
Because elitist jerks feel the only way you can play the game is like a mindless robot churning out big numbers like clockwork. God forbid someone try to have fun. Seems they can't handle that.
You're totally right. DPS meters are for elitists and trolls. Who cares how much damage anybody does? Looking at numbers is not fun!
Yeah, who cares if the boss dies or not? Wiping all night long is really where it's at!
02/23/2017 11:38 AMPosted by Whytlyvsmata
oh look, another post blaming meters or bad luck looting legendos to cover up #ineptitude

He is only 835
I'm probably the least qualified person replying in this thread, since I don't do dungeon or raid. But in a post I made awhile back, someone was talking to me about being more situationally aware, etc. DPS isn't the be all and end all, if you fail some mechanic and die. So, I started working on my dps. You know, target dummies, trying different things, reading up on my spec, and proper rotations etc. My dps got better, and my amount of deaths on things like WB's etc is non-existent now.

So, although I am the ultra casual person, and having super dps is not required for anything at all that I might do in-game, there is always room for improvement. Even if you don't focus on being number 1 all the time, my gaming actually improved because I see things I didn't see before, and things actually die quicker too.

Don't get too focused on the meters, and how everyone else does, but it doesn't hurt to focus on your own numbers, and try to eke out a little bit more. :)

~Lara!
02/23/2017 04:01 PMPosted by Rrayy
02/23/2017 01:17 PMPosted by Carmageddon

Because elitist jerks feel the only way you can play the game is like a mindless robot churning out big numbers like clockwork. God forbid someone try to have fun. Seems they can't handle that.

That's what LFR is for?
so being carried around like a infant is fine for you?

good luck in life.
02/23/2017 01:05 PMPosted by Avermra
02/23/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Ameghan

It's obvious when they aren't. If they don't follow instructions, or afk during fights, blow the same mechanic repeatedly. But mostly, it's about attitude. The way they treat other people, the way they talk about themselves and the game. Whether they are participating in other guild activities.

Meters are just numbers. They don't tell the whole story. For example, my hps may drop because I have to run to the other side of the raid to heal someone about to die. Or my husbands dps may drop because he has been assigned to deal with a specific mechanic. Anyone in the team could lose dps in avoiding taking damage. All these things contribute to the win.

ok, so how do you know, during a wipe, what caused it, and what you can do to make the next attempt better, when it ia not glaring mistakes like standing in one shot mechanics?

Lets say during the pull, both tanks died. How do you assess this situation?

Well, that's the advantage of my type of guild. People admit their mistakes or share what they are finding difficult. We discuss what to do differently and try again.
If meters stress you out, don't install them. I get really hung up on the meters when I have skada enabled, so I only turn it on when I'm running content with my partner - mostly just for a laugh.

That being said, it's important to be mindful of your performance in the game so that you don't unintentionally hinder other players. For example, my ilvl is 872 at the moment, but I don't do anything above a Mythic +4 because I'm mindful of my performance in this game, and I know that this is the most challenging multiplayer content I can face while still bringing an even contribution to the table.

It's a game, and it has multiple tiers of difficulty. Find what you like, find what you can contribute to, and just have fun. :)

Does anyone agree?

Git gud!
02/23/2017 06:04 PMPosted by Gormosh

Does anyone agree?

Git gud!

Aye! I undoubtedly agree indeed. I will Git Gud!

Didn't think I would catch so much woof for this post. I apologize.

Getting good is my goal, and I will. Started this toon about month ago at lv 1; progress lately since turning lv 110 is different than the rest.

AND

02/23/2017 05:04 PMPosted by Vi
so being carried around like a infant is fine for you?

good luck in life.

I do NOT have people carry me. My DPS was just fine in the past, so I had no complaints. I know my rotations, CCs and all the jazz Icy Veins sings. PvE is a breeze.

I think my main gripe is just the tier of being 110, where you're grouped with members who have legendary items, with trinkets and swords worth ilv 940, and you're just like..."that's a big wall to climb".

Not that it's impossible to climb, no not at all. And I will climb it...BUT to constantly look at a meter while you're trying to climb this wall gets discouraging when you know you're following Icy Veins like a bible, and you know you're doing everything you can, but you just need more time. That's all.

Sorry about the sacrilege.
!@#$ the meters and %^-* the meterists! I play without them and am quite happy as a result. I don't have to be better than anyone else and I don't care if I am "carrying" anyone since that is another bull!@#$ concept. If someone is unhappy with my play they can talk to me about it but no one does.

It's a game. Meant to be enjoyed. If you enjoy frenzying yourself about numbers, have at it. If you enjoy tormenting yourself about what legendaries you do or don't have, have at it. But neither makes you anything special, anything better than the player next to you.

Next?
02/23/2017 11:32 AMPosted by Varenthir
You're ilvl is 835, and your artifacts ilvl is 806, of course even the healers are going to out dps you.

Agreed. Artifact @ 806?