Death Grip Animation 7.2

General Discussion
1 2 3 13 Next
Just a PSA for those who don't know; Death Grip is getting a rework in 7.2 that dramatically changes its visual and slightly changes its functionality.

The animation is being swapped to the survival hunter's grapple, except lower res and with a glow effect. The iconic purple energy grip that we currently have is completely scrapped.

Likewise, because of the new slightly glowing chain animation, there will now be projectile travel time in addition to the pull time, so Death Grip is now noticeably slower than it is in Live.

The old animation is not going to have a glyph. We are forced to use this new animation.

I've been asking on the PTR Class and General forums for a while for communication about this - in my opinion - rather painful change, but to no avail. A twitter post from a month ago asking for a glyph for the old animation was met with

"Is there something about the old Death Grip animation that you feel is missing from the new Death Grip animation?"

and no further communication since. At this point, it looks like it will be affecting Live, and I figured that asking General is the last ditch effort we have on getting the old one added as a glyph...(Or better yet; The new ones being the glyph, but we all know that won't happen).

Link to the PTR Forum post:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20753100383

Link to the Death Knight Discussion post:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20753515756

I've been showing this animation out to my friend group who does not look at the WoW forums. They are very upset with this change as well, so its not just the forum community up in arms.
So, they turning into the Abomination's Hook move?

Yeah you are correct about the delay something like that has. The Abomination has about a 1 second delay every time he hooks something towards him which sucks in PvP.

If they do go through with this move, a fair compensation would be to allow the new death grip to pull the death knight towards an immune target.
The ability is almost identical to the Abomination's Hook, now that I think about it. Hell, even the visuals are almost the same. It is a recycled hackjob, IMO...
Video comparison: https://youtu.be/ZLkyh_bwXlY?t=26

I also dislike the DnD change. At least Howling Blast is nice.
02/25/2017 08:01 AMPosted by Kyveli
Video comparison: https://youtu.be/ZLkyh_bwXlY?t=26

I also dislike the DnD change. At least Howling Blast is nice.

The DnD change would be much better...if you could actually see it. It is so spaced out and so...empty that it is so easy to get obscured...
cool, so we have the wraith walk where we step into the shadowlands and trip over a twig before getting rooted/stunned/feared, and the iconic death grip is now us throwing a large chain at the target instead of the perfectly fine and well loved purple shadow tendril.

good stuff
02/25/2017 08:11 AMPosted by Zorrya
cool, so we have the wraith walk where we step into the shadowlands and trip over a twig before getting rooted/stunned/feared, and the iconic death grip is now us throwing a large chain at the target instead of the perfectly fine and well loved purple shadow tendril.

good stuff

Death Grip changed pointlessly.
DnD made harder to see...pointlessly.
Wraithwalk requires a glyph to properly function.
Half our once baseline skills are now either removed or spread out across the specs.

What a time to be a Death Knight...
*wretches in disgust* BLahhhk! What is that...is that...that a nightmare?

*having flashbacks of when Blizzard changed the Warrior's Whirlwind to sound like a train*

Nope, don't want either of them...When I heard visual changed, I imagined them having a shadowy, clawed hand at the end of our tendril to grab and pull our targets...not *waves hands* whatever this is.
02/25/2017 08:19 AMPosted by Lasplaga
*wretches in disgust* BLahhhk! What is that...is that...that a nightmare?

*having flashbacks of when Blizzard changed the Warrior's Whirlwind to sound like a train*

Nope, don't want either of them...When I heard visual changed, I imagined them having a shadowy, clawed hand at the end of our tendril to grab and pull our targets...not *waves hands* whatever this is.

That's what I hoped for, essentially an HD version of the iconic spell...but instead apparently we are Abominations.
Personally I enjoy the new animations for the Death Grip and D&D. Though I will miss the old animations, I feel a new coat of paint over the very dated animations is well deserved.
PLEASE NO

KEEP CURRENT PLS
02/25/2017 08:26 AMPosted by Noolore
Personally I enjoy the new animations for the Death Grip and D&D. Though I will miss the old animations, I feel a new coat of paint over the very dated animations is well deserved.

I don't think the animations are all that outdated, though an HD rendition of Death Grip wouldn't have been bad.
However completely altering the animations like this is what Glyphs are for...Isn't that what this new Glyph system is all about?
Well, on the bright side, each Death Grip gets a color and effect to match the death knight's spec. So that's cool. And I like the death knight's casting animations for DG, HB, DC, etc; it's what it always should have been.
02/25/2017 08:46 AMPosted by Amberstelle

I don't think the animations are all that outdated, though an HD rendition of Death Grip wouldn't have been bad.
However completely altering the animations like this is what Glyphs are for...Isn't that what this new Glyph system is all about?
Evidently it's for making broken spells functional. Death knights have to use a glyph to not get stuck on everything during Wraith Walk, draenei and tauren paladins need a glyph to not get stuck on overhangs during Divine Steed.
02/25/2017 10:08 AMPosted by Valutena
Well, on the bright side, each Death Grip gets a color and effect to match the death knight's spec. So that's cool. And I like the death knight's casting animations for DG, HB, DC, etc; it's what it always should have been.

Actually...not quite.

You see, the alternate colors...those are the Glyphs.
02/25/2017 07:30 AMPosted by Amberstelle
getting the old one added as a glyph...(Or better yet; The new ones being the glyph, but we all know that won't happen).

Seems like one of the very things the new glyph system exist for.

Addendum:

I'd like to add that I like how they're changing things that seem perfectly fine as they are but casters still lack combat animations, save for those moments where you're actively auto-attacking things.
02/25/2017 08:17 AMPosted by Amberstelle
02/25/2017 08:11 AMPosted by Zorrya

good stuff

Death Grip changed pointlessly.
DnD made harder to see...pointlessly.
Wraithwalk requires a glyph to properly function.
Half our once baseline skills are now either removed or spread out across the specs.

What a time to be a Death Knight...

Right, they might as well implement use for optional controller. I could map out my keys on a controller and play DK. :/
Why does blizz spend resources on this crap? why not try to fix other issues with the game?

No one wanted this.

I have to agree, I actually like the new look on Death Grip.

DnD, well at least there will be less clutter on the ground?
Ugh this is so stupid. So they decided to switch out a much loved and unique visual for something lackluster and nerf it with a delay as well.

They had to know this. Are they trying to make every DK reroll to DH or something.

I was thinking the other day how awesome deathgrip is on my dk- both it's look and function- now this? Geez.