Death Grip Animation 7.2

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 13 Next
I like the new animation, but it's not Death Grip- make this new one a glyph, or offer the old one as a glyph- it is that simple.

And the addition of a delay- why? Was there any point? It's not like Death Grip is OP, it's gone unchanged since WotLK, I'm pretty sure it was fine. Make it instant again. Simple.
Why is this happening?!
Blizzard, make the new animation/mechanic for DG a glyph if it must be in game

DO NOT MAKE THIS BASELINE! IT'S GARBAGE!
The delay will suck. Half the time I use it, it was when tanking or questing to pull a caster in. Maybe it's for a pvp nerf?
If it ain't broke, ruin it.
03/01/2017 07:05 AMPosted by Whiskeymick

Who looked at the Shadow Force lightning and thought this was an improvement?

http://i.imgur.com/E2ZgD4q.png (not my toon)

I honesty wasn't going to comment until I saw this picture. That straight up looks like a placeholder animation for a beta spell, not a graphic overhaul of a live ability.

DKs have always pulled the short straw for spell animations when Blizzard decides to change things. Remember when they changed Blood Boil to actually make a pulse of wavy-heat? That was awesome. Then a month later they re-redid it to be this rings-of-Saturn radar blip that looks terrible.

Glacial Advance looks like crap too, while I think about it. It also has that "beta placeholder" vibe.
03/01/2017 06:51 PMPosted by Ralanthel

I honesty wasn't going to comment until I saw this picture. That straight up looks like a placeholder animation for a beta spell, not a graphic overhaul of a live ability.

DKs have always pulled the short straw for spell animations when Blizzard decides to change things. Remember when they changed Blood Boil to actually make a pulse of wavy-heat? That was awesome. Then a month later they re-redid it to be this rings-of-Saturn radar blip that looks terrible.

Glacial Advance looks like crap too, while I think about it. It also has that "beta placeholder" vibe.

Sad thing is, thats not a place holder. Blizzard tweeted about it a month ago, they really think this animation good.
Just posted that picture on my guild's Discord. I've been warning them about the animation change, but they've been dismissing it...but now they are really - really - upset.

EDIT:
Just poked into the PTR again, seems like it now has a chain rattling noise now...
I'd like to know the reasoning behind this. Was it too game-breaking? Did a bunch of players secretly complain about this (despite DKs having it for how many years now?) that somehow didn't make it on the forums? Does it cause server lag? Is it considered a form of exploiting or cheating all of a sudden pertaining to a specific mechanic on a raid boss???

I mean, what's the real reasoning for this?
the new death grip has no delay. the animation is just playing tricks on ur plebeian brains because it has a travel animation as opposed to the instantaneous tendril of the old one. the sky is always falling here at the wow forums.
03/01/2017 10:52 PMPosted by Shadowshah
the new death grip has no delay. the animation is just playing tricks on ur plebeian brains because it has a travel animation as opposed to the instantaneous tendril of the old one. the sky is always falling here at the wow forums.

Er...no there is a delay.
The delay is the projectile travel time of the hook, which is equivalent to the return grip time.
Old DG just had the pull time, now we have the projectile travel time in addition to the pull, which effectively doubles the animation.
Likewise, delay or not, the new animation looks horrendous, and goes against the theme of DKs; That cracklings unholy energy is a staple of the class seen in many of you spells - from Gorefeinds Grasp to Raise Dead - it is iconic to the class.
02/28/2017 10:37 AMPosted by Horrorpops
Also, if you're gonna change the animation make it better, not worse. I like the purple lightning.

How would anyone in their right mind look at that and consider it an improvement?
What the hell, how could they destroy Death Grip? That'd be like destroying Shadow Form (which they almost did).
I would seriously ask, why does Death Grip (or any of the other DK spells or abilities), have to be completely changed or screwed up....

But then I remind myself that this is Legion. And apparently, the Legion developers believe in:
02/25/2017 08:17 AMPosted by Amberstelle
Half our once baseline skills are now either removed or spread out across the specs.

And this is not just with DK's. This is the most "wtf are they thinking" expansion I've ever seen, heard or played.
Thank you for creating a discussion around Death Grip; it has helped steer our final implementation for 7.2 immensely. Legion has seen many improvements to the feel and style of combat for WoW, and it is an initiative that we are continuing to pursue.

The goal for all of these improvements is to maintain as much of the mechanical feel of abilities as possible (as they have existed for many years) while delivering an intuitive, consistent, and modern visual experience. For example, a hammer should deal damage when it slams into a murloc, not before. In some cases, we can bend the rules to allow clutch mechanical interactions to win, such as Death Strike providing its heal instantly while the damage occurs when your weapon connects.

We will be following similar rules for our final implementation of Death Grip, which will stop the target’s spellcast instantly but start the pull a fraction of a second later when the spell connects with its target (even faster than it was for much of 7.2 PTR). This should feel consistent with all of the other attacks Death Knights currently have. We are also adding a few more elements to the visual of Death Grip to bring the vibe closer to the original. The overarching goal of harmonizing mechanics and aesthetics is a very fine needle to thread, but it is one worth fighting for.

Thank you again for your feedback. See you in Acherus.
02/25/2017 12:33 PMPosted by Variyan
02/25/2017 08:17 AMPosted by Amberstelle
Death Grip changed pointlessly.
DnD made harder to see...pointlessly.
Wraithwalk requires a glyph to properly function.
Half our once baseline skills are now either removed or spread out across the specs.

What a time to be a Death Knight...

Right, they might as well implement use for optional controller. I could map out my keys on a controller and play DK. :/

But there's already a controller implementation, you can look at kaif's video about raiding with a controller.
03/02/2017 01:54 PMPosted by Solanis
Thank you for creating a discussion around Death Grip; it has helped steer our final implementation for 7.2 immensely. Legion has seen many improvements to the feel and style of combat for WoW, and it is an initiative that we are continuing to pursue.

The goal for all of these improvements is to maintain as much of the mechanical feel of abilities as possible (as they have existed for many years) while delivering an intuitive, consistent, and modern visual experience. For example, a hammer should deal damage when it slams into a murloc, not before. In some cases, we can bend the rules to allow clutch mechanical interactions to win, such as Death Strike providing its heal instantly while the damage occurs when your weapon connects.

We will be following similar rules for our final implementation of Death Grip, which will stop the target’s spellcast instantly but start the pull a fraction of a second later when the spell connects with its target (even faster than it was for much of 7.2 PTR). This should feel consistent with all of the other attacks Death Knights currently have. We are also adding a few more elements to the visual of Death Grip to bring the vibe closer to the original. The overarching goal of harmonizing mechanics and aesthetics is a very fine needle to thread, but it is one worth fighting for.

No, how can you not get it? We want the old Death Grip left as it is, not changed in any way. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the spell now, it's perfect. Why are you messing it up? Seriously, just stop it please.
03/02/2017 01:54 PMPosted by Solanis

Thank you for taking your time in addressing the issues we are facing with the new Death Grip animation. While this isn't what a lot of people wanted to hear - the return of the old animation in the form of a glyph - the instant interrupt and sped up projectile time does significantly help address the issues.

Likewise, it sounds promising that you are adding some old flair to the new animation...however I have one major reservation about all this;

When can we expect to see the new animation on the PTR? I'd like to be able to test it out and explore it's potential before Live, so we can more finely hone the discussion instead of just speculating on how much will change?

Likewise, on a semi unrelated note, can we get some feedback on the new Death and Decay? The new animation is less polarizing than the Death Grip one, however the animation itself can be difficult to see with lots of ground clutter, likewise it has a very empty feeling to it.

Thanks for responding!
"It has come to our attention that prior iterations of the wheel are smooth, unencumbered, and somewhat lacking in style and flavor. Therefore we will be reinventing the wheel in 7.2 to give it flair more in keeping with our goal of keeping our engineers engaged. Thank you for your interesting but ultimately unmoving feedback, which has been been filed with the other suggestions in our dumpster."
Please leave death grip as it is.
Stop killing Death Knights.