The WoW token problem

General Discussion
There is a sub for real money option. If you can't afford that option then frankly you probably should be trying to fix that problem instead of playing a video game.

I realize that's blunt & rude but really it's what it boils down to. $15 a month isn't that much money. I can't even feed my family of 4 at a fast food joint for $15.

So either fork over the $15 or put in the time to farm the gold to buy a token at the going rate. Fact is the price will go down, but probably not what you're used to seeing bc the demand has went up.

But, think about it from the seller's standpoint coming out of WoD. Many of us are millionaires in the game. Many of us have no reason to spend $20 to sell a token. So in a way you can blame that on Blizzard due to the garrison gold farming. They nipped that in the bud but the damage was already done. What you're seeing now is the fallout. Might as well accept it as it's gonna take the market awhile to absorb all of those millions of gold.

For me this has zero impact. I don't pay for my sub with gold because $15 a month is pretty darn cheap for a hobby. I'm much more stingy with my in game gold. I use that for things I want in the game which at the moment is only what I don't feel like farming on an alt. I've got quite a few alts so that isn't much.
02/07/2017 12:30 PMPosted by Akkashaa
There is a sub for real money option. If you can't afford that option then frankly you probably should be trying to fix that problem instead of playing a video game.

I realize that's blunt & rude but really it's what it boils down to. $15 a month isn't that much money. I can't even feed my family of 4 at a fast food joint for $15.

So either fork over the $15 or put in the time to farm the gold to buy a token at the going rate. Fact is the price will go down, but probably not what you're used to seeing bc the demand has went up.

But, think about it from the seller's standpoint coming out of WoD. Many of us are millionaires in the game. Many of us have no reason to spend $20 to sell a token. So in a way you can blame that on Blizzard due to the garrison gold farming. They nipped that in the bud but the damage was already done. What you're seeing now is the fallout. Might as well accept it as it's gonna take the market awhile to absorb all of those millions of gold.

For me this has zero impact. I don't pay for my sub with gold because $15 a month is pretty darn cheap for a hobby. I'm much more stingy with my in game gold. I use that for things I want in the game which at the moment is only what I don't feel like farming on an alt. I've got quite a few alts so that isn't much.

The money isn't the issue, 15 bucks isn't a problem, the amount I play is the problem, between a family and my job I don't have the time to play like I used to, that's where the token system was great, I could still play but not feel guilty about spending the money on something I don't use a lot.
I'm not a minority either, anyone who thinks I am is delusional...
02/07/2017 11:39 AMPosted by Wûtang
Casuals are what make an MMO profitable and relevant, hardcores burn through content too quickly and there has never been an MMO that can keep up, this change caters to the hardcore, and in the long run will cost them money considering that they can swap tokens for cash in the blizz store.

You have it backwards.
02/07/2017 12:39 PMPosted by Wûtang

No, i don't think you're in the minority at all. The game feels like its shifting from F2P back to a pay model. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will evacuate and go to other true F2P games, as there are many.

But, these people aren't really moving the bottom line for Blizzard. As they've mentioned before, it is actually the store purchases that drive a lot of wow's revenue.
The smart move would have been introducing a new different type of token for Blizz cash.
the time of subscription MMO's is done, considering there are only 2 of them left truly, the token system as it was implemented was fantastic.

But I think you're right Mvura, those 25 dollar mounts and 25 dollar character transfers are where blizz is making the lions share of their money
02/07/2017 11:45 AMPosted by Weihu
The only way this costs them money is if, after the initial surge in the purchase of non-subscription services for gold, enough people using tokens for gametime have been driven away to outweigh the continued purchase of non-subscription services.

Yes. As long as no fewer people buy tokens for $$ and exchange them for gold, Blizzard does not lose money.

There is no earthly reason why fewer people would do that if a $20 token purchase now nets them more gold.

It does not matter whether the tokens end up being used to activate a large number of players' gametime, or a smaller number of players use them both for gametime and other digital purchases.

Indeed, the most likely outcome is:

• More people pay $$ for tokens because they can get more gold for them
  • Some of those tokens are used for b.net purchases that would not otherwise have been made (e.g. I wouldn't buy Overwatch for cash because I'm not a big shooter player, but I'm buying it now that I have $170 worth of spare b.net balance)
  • Some players that used to buy tokens with gold to cover their playtime will now pay cash
  • Some players that used to buy tokens with gold to cover their playtime will stop playing
  • None of those points costs Blizzard money.

The first and third points lead to them increasing revenue.
    02/07/2017 12:52 PMPosted by Frostrune
    The smart move would have been introducing a new different type of token for Blizz cash.

If they did that, either the two tokens would cost exactly the same amount of gold, or one of the tokens would be permanently out of stock on the gold AH.

It would be an absolutely pointless move and in no way "smart".
    There is no problem
    How in the blazes were you people paying for the game a year ago? The token is barely that old.
    Why are so many people crying over the price increase? Blizzard expanded the services am item can be used for, increasing the availability of the service to you the player. They did not say "let's drive up the price". The players did by buying all the available tokens.

People are mad at blizzard for announcing the weeks ago at blizzcon?
    People are mad that blizzard made their product more useful? Gasp, how date they...

Why is this hard to understand?
    Where are we even getting "new system" from? It's literally the same system. There's just one more thing you can spend your token on.
    This thread proves there are tons of fanboy/girls on this forum. Everyone trying to justify thier 15 bucks a month.
    02/07/2017 01:08 PMPosted by Lostinhoods
    This thread proves there are tons of fanboy/girls on this forum. Everyone trying to justify thier 15 bucks a month.

Wait is that supposed to be an insult that we are posting on a forum that requires an active subscription to the game because we are fan of the game ?

Please continue to call me a fanboy of Blizzard, they made 4 games which I really enjoy playing (Overwatch, Hearthstone, D3 and WoW) so yes I am a fan of them. If I stopped enjoying WoW as many on the forums claim to have, then I would quietly walk away and not be posting on what is literally a fan forums.
    02/07/2017 12:39 PMPosted by Wûtang

The money isn't the issue, 15 bucks isn't a problem, the amount I play is the problem, between a family and my job I don't have the time to play like I used to, that's where the token system was great, I could still play but not feel guilty about spending the money on something I don't use a lot.

I doubt very much that the majority of players have been using the token for game time. It's not realistic when you consider that for every token used, a token had to be first be purchased with $20.

Yes, you absolutely do fall into the minority of WoW players.

If you don't think WoW is worth $15/mo and you can't afford the higher token price, then stop playing. There are plenty of F2P and cheap B2P games out there. As someone said elsewhere, they can always get an entire new game off Steam once a month for less than the $15 they pay for WoW.

02/07/2017 01:08 PMPosted by Lostinhoods

Someone who feels they have to justify spending the money is not someone who I'd consider a fan boy/fan girl. Obsessed people don't need justification, they just do it.
    02/07/2017 11:47 AMPosted by Normercy
    02/07/2017 11:39 AMPosted by Wûtang
    The casuals will be leaving in droves

No they wont.

In fact , YOU wont leave either.

You say that but I would be willing to bet several million players have quit since the launch of legion.
    02/07/2017 01:32 PMPosted by Elhaa
    02/07/2017 11:47 AMPosted by Normercy

No they wont.

In fact , YOU wont leave either.

You say that but I would be willing to bet several million players have quit since the launch of legion.

TBC launches : Adding Paladins to Horde and Shaman to Alliance will cause several million people to quit playing !!!!
    Wrath launches : going after the lich king will be the death of the game !!! Death knights are OP and several million people will quit playing
    Etc.

Over 100 million accounts have been made since WoW launched, think about that number for a second. I'll wait. Barely 12% (at it's peak) accounts have ever been active at the same time. WoW players come and go for as many reasons as players that have left (and / or came back) and yet WoW is still going strong. The fact that token prices in NA are starting to get as high as other parts of the country does not change that fact, and it is a fact not fiction like those saying 'wow is doomed and will die !!!' are spouting.
    I'm not concerned about token prices. If they go up that just means there's that much more gold in the hands of people that don't know how to manage their gold buying my auctions.
    02/07/2017 12:30 PMPosted by Akkashaa

So much this.

15 bucks a month is hardly anything at all - if you don't have disposable income of 15 dollars each month, you have way bigger issues than not being able to afford your WoW sub. That's less than a trip to the movies (2 hours long vs unlimited play time for a month straight), less than playing any sort of sport, less than... well hell, less than damn near any hobby I can think of.

I get that it's frustrating if you've been paying for your sub with gold and now you can't, but frankly, it's 1-2 hours of work depending on your wage, to pay for your sub. You spend more time than that in game farming the gold necessary to support your subscription.... why even do this? If you enjoy farming gold, hey, all the power to ya. For myself, the last thing I want to do when I log in is farm gold for a few hours. I have limited play time, so when I log in I want to do fun things like run a dungeon or a raid, or kill a world boss or something.

Gold doesn't matter, you need just enough to buy things in game to support your favorite activities. Anything beyond that... who cares? It's useless in the real world and one day WoW will be gone and all the WoW-gold millionaires will be back to the real world with nothing to show for it. "I was a millionaire in WoW" isn't going to be a story to tell your grandkids :P
    Tough !@#$. You probably have $15 stuck in your couch cushions.