Shimmer Nerfed

Arenas
Nothing else significant, but the latest 7.2 build is nerfing Shimmer for mages.

It'll only have 1 charge now.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/6361-Patch-7-2-PTR-Build-23623-Raid-Testing-Schedule-Feb-23-24-Weapon-Size-Changes

Just thought I'd share cause people seem to complain about mage mobility vs other classes a lot.

edit:
I may have been mistaken and it might just be a tooltip change (a dumb tooltip change).
Good
Idk if thats the right link
02/22/2017 12:59 PMPosted by Makeme
Idk if thats the right link

ctrl-f "shimmer"
Only one charge is really rough. I understand the frustration w/ shimmer but mage got their ability to set up polies removed w/ deep's pruning.

Mage has gone from a class that had 8 viable comps in MoP to maybe 3 now. I see that number further decreasing with this change.

It's not just that it nerfs mage. It's that less shimmering unfortunately makes mage really reliant on rogues and anything that can't stun frequently can't really pair w/ mage because if the class can't land polymorphs (unless it's OP fire/sin like pre-hotfix) they really won't kill.

TL;DR - This change is good for nerfing mage survivability but will further make mage dependent on a small number of classes it can still pair with. Wizard cleaves w/ mage will be even less potent now.
Sadar is right. Against any good MW or druid it will be much much harder to land polies without playing with another dps that can stun (namely rogue), thereby limiting the comps mages can play successfully - and it's already pretty limited.

Maybe just increase the cooldown time on shimmer, but leave it at two charges. This way mages will be forced to sit and tank some of the damage instead and wait for their shimmer charges to come back up instead of being rewarded for using them on cd, or using them on a whim.

Either that, or give us blazing speed back.
02/22/2017 12:49 PMPosted by Felrynn
Nothing else significant, but the latest 7.2 build is nerfing Shimmer for mages.

It'll only have 1 charge now.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/6361-Patch-7-2-PTR-Build-23623-Raid-Testing-Schedule-Feb-23-24-Weapon-Size-Changes

Just thought I'd share cause people seem to complain about mage mobility vs other classes a lot.

On the mage discord people are reporting that Shimmer still has 2 charges on the PTR. Apparently the removal of the text was to clean up the tooltip. They've done that with charge spells before like fire blast.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/122270271095832576/284064560934158336/unknown.png
02/22/2017 01:12 PMPosted by Sadaradex
TL;DR - This change is good for nerfing mage survivability but will further make mage dependent on a small number of classes it can still pair with. Wizard cleaves w/ mage will be even less potent now.

I personally think they should return deepfreeze to mages on one of the talent trees. Specifically the talent tree with Ring of Frost so we won't have problems similar to wod (aka where you deep>got poly kicked>ring of frost anyways).

Can name it different per spec. Deep Freeze for Frost. Flame Wreath for Fire (only if DB Dr's with poly imo). Something about Time for Arcane.
02/22/2017 01:17 PMPosted by Kearvek
On the mage discord people are reporting that Shimmer still has 2 charges on the PTR. Apparently the removal of the text was to clean up the tooltip. They've done that with charge spells before like fire blast.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/122270271095832576/284064560934158336/unknown.png

ah that's disappointing then
02/22/2017 01:12 PMPosted by Sadaradex
Only one charge is really rough. I understand the frustration w/ shimmer but mage got their ability to set up polies removed w/ deep's pruning.

Mage has gone from a class that had 8 viable comps in MoP to maybe 3 now. I see that number further decreasing with this change.

It's not just that it nerfs mage. It's that less shimmering unfortunately makes mage really reliant on rogues and anything that can't stun frequently can't really pair w/ mage because if the class can't land polymorphs (unless it's OP fire/sin like pre-hotfix) they really won't kill.

This is super true. As it is most of the time if you pillar properly a mage needs 2x blinks to get 1 sheep on me. They might have to bring back deep freeze, which I'm ok with if they make it so frozen orb doesn't do a billion damage in it.
The issue w/ mage comps is really that stun is the most powerful single mechanic in PvP. Nothing else can be used to CC someone while you damage them at the same time and it doubles as the most effective kill setup and the easiest way to set up CC since it has no cast for any class.

Mage having less dumb things like blink is good but having deep back would help mage be viable in multiple comps.

Also wouldn't be a huge issue like WoD because if you set up a deep-sheep but didn't have a solid setup the DPS (let's say surv hunt/ret as an example) wouldn't die since instants aren't doing 60% of someone's HP (although we are slowly getting back to it with current frost build). Generally you'd need to set up the deep-sheep & also set up a good burst attempt w/ positioning or stuns now.
if it doesn't have 2 charges it's effectively worthless.

Give up stun break and 3 charges of moving while casting (for frost) for 5 extra yards and blink while casting ......yeah no thanks jeff.
wow seriously? Now Shimmer is pretty much useless. Why would you give up a stun break, or casting certain abilities while moving for Shimmer now? Now mages have literally barely any mobilty, especially for Arcane.

Yet......

Fury Warriors have 3 leaps and 2 charges. Makes sense Blizzard. Its not hard enough for casters to get away from melee.
02/22/2017 01:16 PMPosted by Exhilarâtion
Sadar is right. Against any good MW or druid it will be much much harder to land polies without playing with another dps that can stun (namely rogue), thereby limiting the comps mages can play successfully - and it's already pretty limited.

you know who else has a hard time catching mws and rdruids?

every other class in the game

minus maybe sub rogues cause they're aids and cancer's bastard child
02/22/2017 01:55 PMPosted by Lizleihi
minus maybe sub rogues cause they're aids and cancer's bastard child
no bully pls
prune shimmer from fire and frost

give fire blazing speed and frost deep

class fantasy PogChamp
Oh God forbid Mages have to do what they did for the first 8 seasons
02/22/2017 02:05 PMPosted by Rvr
Oh God forbid Mages have to do what they did for the first 8 seasons

Except for the first 8 seasons we had tools that allowed us to accomplish what 2 x shimmer does now. Tools that have since been pruned.
02/22/2017 02:01 PMPosted by Zulubar
prune shimmer from fire and frost

give fire blazing speed and frost deep

class fantasy PogChamp

It would actually be a great change. Would make the specs more distinct & give them all good tools to have. Frost might need some other nerfs if it got deep but I'd love to see it as an option.
Chill Streak Deals 5% Deals 8% of the target's total health in Frost damage and reduces their movement speed by 70% for 4 sec. Chill Streak bounces up to 5 9 times between closest targets. Frost DeathKnight - Tier 5 PvP Talent. 40 yd range. Instant. 45 sec cooldown.

Cool 8% and 9 bounces
If frost gets deep back, fire's Combustion could grant impact proc stun. Would be sick.

Arcane would need something to remain competitive as well.