Faction Based Rewards

Arenas
Ever since I first heard about this idea I was strongly against it. Last season, rank one and gladiator titles were distributed at roughly 150 points lower on alliance than they were on horde. The differences in these ratings are vast, and significantly lower the prestige of the titles on alliance, while making the titles even rarer on horde. The elite pvp community cares greatly about things like fairness, and maintaining the prestige of the reward system. I would like to the see this system revoked, and I'm curious if other people have been feeling the same way.

Legion season 1 cut offs:

Gladiator:
Horde - 2563
Alliance - 2437

R1:
Horde - 2852
Alliance - 2704
I understand that it can be more difficult to find arena partners on alliance than it is on horde, but the bottom line is that it is still not extremely difficult to find 2 partners in a game with such a huge player base -- especially if you're an elite pvper. Once you've got the partners, there is no special advantage to either faction, and for the cutoffs to be so significantly different is ridiculous to me.
There are good reasons for having it split though. There are real faction power imbalances in terms of racials, and then there's player perception on how significant it is on top of that.

Having it split reduces the otherwise strong incentive for PVP-focused players to have to switch to the faction with the superior racials or perceived skill.

I actually think they should take it a step further and provide titles to the top 0.5% players of each class, which would reduce the incentive to play the FOTM classes.
there are otherways to fix faction inbalance. Cross faction quing , all racials disabled etc. People getting rank 1 when horde players of same rating dont is absurd.
02/12/2017 03:02 AMPosted by Caperx
there are otherways to fix faction inbalance. Cross faction quing , all racials disabled etc. People getting rank 1 when horde players of same rating dont is absurd.

Agree with you, but since we're talking about changing the status quo we need to see racials disabled in instanced PVP first (another option is to have a secret coin-flip that determines if your team plays as "mercenary" each fight). I don't see that happening anytime soon, so it's not absurd to have the splitting based on the system we have _today_.
02/12/2017 02:23 AMPosted by Ainsoph
There are good reasons for having it split though. There are real faction power imbalances in terms of racials, and then there's player perception on how significant it is on top of that.

Having it split reduces the otherwise strong incentive for PVP-focused players to have to switch to the faction with the superior racials or perceived skill.

I actually think they should take it a step further and provide titles to the top 0.5% players of each class, which would reduce the incentive to play the FOTM classes.

Racials are not nearly strong enough to justify the existence of separate horde and alliance rewards. --> racials don't put a player up 150 points in rating
02/12/2017 12:51 PMPosted by Dipi
02/12/2017 02:23 AMPosted by Ainsoph

Racials are not nearly strong enough to justify the existence of separate horde and alliance rewards

Edit: Racials are strong, but both factions have strong racials.

When you have a significantly lower player base to pull from, yes, while it sucks for horde, its absolutely needed.

Try finding anyone to play with on alliance and come back again.

This system isn't perfect but its the system you forced on the Developers. This is what happens when you blindly follow streamers, blizzcon players, and racials. Why can't you all be just more like EU? Oh right, we American's on t he NA servers just fan boi hard.
02/12/2017 01:50 PMPosted by Mezasu

When you have a significantly lower player base to pull from, yes, while it sucks for horde, its absolutely needed.

No its not.

Two solutions that don't involve completely botching a system that has been fine since it's inception are already mentioned in this thread.
The future is cross-faction arena.

We even have a mercenary system that does exactly this for battlegrounds.

Racials are not nearly strong enough to justify the existence of separate horde and alliance rewards

This system isn't perfect but its the system you forced on the Developers. This is what happens when you blindly follow streamers, blizzcon players, and racials. Why can't you all be just more like EU? Oh right, we American's on t he NA servers just fan boi hard.

Yeah, I understand it IS more difficult to find people to que with on alliance, but believe it or not, you're a 1500 player, and it's a lot easier to find people to que with when you're well established in the pvp community and can achieve gladiator + ratings on demand. My whole argument is in reference to the elite pvp community, and the high tier rewards. Established and elite pvpers will have people to play with regardless of faction, and the system !@#$s them in the %^-
02/12/2017 03:30 PMPosted by Dipi

Yeah, I understand it IS more difficult to find people to que with on alliance, but believe it or not, you're a 1500 player, and it's a lot easier to find people to que with when you're well established in the pvp community and can achieve gladiator + ratings on demand. My whole argument is in reference to the elite pvp community, and the high tier rewards. Established and elite pvpers will have people to play with regardless of faction, and the system !@#$s them in the %^-

you suck bro
excellent response gabe. check +
Also, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, when I play my !@#$ing alliance alt, it's just as easy to get to the same rating I have on my horde main. :OOOO :OOO OMG WHAT HOW omg
Man, looks like a lot of alliance players wanna keep their easy access to rewards!
02/12/2017 03:43 PMPosted by Dipi
Man, looks like a lot of alliance players wanna keep their easy access to rewards!

I really don't care what they do with the queueing system and rewards. I just think its much more frustrating sitting in LFG looking for healers.

I've moved to PVE and raiding since thats what a lot of my friends do now a days, but the common complain I have from my friends who queue alliance side is...

Nobody to play with in LFG. There are no decent queues on Alliance side relative to the Horde.

This is why they have separation in High School and College Sports (division) based on the population of that school. The similar thing applies here. Why is this such a hard concept to understand?

If you think alliance has easier rewards, come transfer alliance with your mates and play 50 games and sit on the rating for the season. Are you really afraid they're gonna add a Gladiator (ALLIANCE*) achievement? lol.
Established and elite pvpers will have people to play with regardless of faction, and the system !@#$s them in the %^-

I'm curious, do you consider yourself an elite PVPer, and if so, why do _you_ choose to stay on the Horde side for your main given the complaint that you're bringing up?
02/12/2017 08:23 PMPosted by Mezasu
02/12/2017 03:43 PMPosted by Dipi

I really don't care what they do with the queueing system and rewards. I just think its much more frustrating sitting in LFG looking for healers.

I've moved to PVE and raiding since thats what a lot of my friends do now a days, but the common complain I have from my friends who queue alliance side is...

Nobody to play with in LFG. There are no decent queues on Alliance side relative to the Horde.

This is why they have separation in High School and College Sports (division) based on the population of that school. The similar thing applies here. Why is this such a hard concept to understand?

If you think alliance has easier rewards, come transfer alliance with your mates and play 50 games and sit on the rating for the season. Are you really afraid they're gonna add a Gladiator (ALLIANCE*) achievement? lol.

"Nobody to play with in lfg", dude, 95% of the top tier players never use LFG. The problems I'm complaining about are relative to the top 1% of the arena population explicitly. The problem is in your suggestion "come transfer alliance with your mates and play 50 games then", anyone can do this, which totally undermines the PRESTIGE of the titles.
02/12/2017 10:10 PMPosted by Ainsoph
Established and elite pvpers will have people to play with regardless of faction, and the system !@#$s them in the %^-

I'm curious, do you consider yourself an elite PVPer, and if so, why do _you_ choose to stay on the Horde side for your main given the complaint that you're bringing up?

Yeah, I would consider myself an elite pvper based on the fact that I achieve gladiator + ratings on demand, and have multiple gladiator titles. I choose to stay on the horde side because most of my friends play horde, but besides from this main character, I kept all my other toons alliance, and still have an abundance of people to queue with because I'm actually an established player, like pretty much every other elite pvper.
02/13/2017 12:58 AMPosted by Dipi
Yeah, I would consider myself an elite pvper based on the fact that I achieve gladiator + ratings on demand, and have multiple gladiator titles. I choose to stay on the horde side because most of my friends play horde, but besides from this main character, I kept all my other toons alliance, and still have an abundance of people to queue with because I'm actually an established player, like pretty much every other elite pvper.

Do your alliance characters have Gladiator-qualifying ratings right now? Can you link?

The interesting thing is that players consider the Gladiator title prestigious, and yet despite the strong incentive for higher end PVPers to go to the Alliance side and get the title (at the lower ratings), based on the numbers this just doesn't seem to be happening. Why do you think that is?
pretty sure no one who didn't benefit from this will ever actually try to justify this logically