Future of WoW tokens - dead currency?

General Discussion
02/14/2017 03:00 PMPosted by Vinø
02/14/2017 02:43 PMPosted by Mogokog

And you obviously dont understand subjective. Or are just playing like you cant comprehend someone not paying cash is playing for $0( TO THEM AKA FROM THEIR PERSPECTIVE). You can argue semantics about what free means all you want. When I look at my IRL bank balance after buying sub time with gold, my balance is the same as it was before paying the sub with in game gold. Now you might not want to call that "free" but then...really you are just arguing semantics and wasting bits on the internet. I know I know, you are trying to make a point that SOMEONE is paying for the sub with $$$. That point is moot to both the seller and buyer of the token. The buyer KNOWS he is paying with $. The seller is playing FOR FREE. You can argue against that but you will be wrong.

Nothing is free.....

Time is money friend.

Semantics is fun to argue but...really..money is money and time is time. Saying Time is money is an alternate "fact". If time were in fact money it would be in websters definition. See you make a blanket statement as if it were true, when its not. My game time is fun, not work. Time for me to get lost in another world for a bit. Work is work and I get $$ for it. TO try to make it sound like I am really working when I play my game for fun is intellectually dishonest.
You guys that think the token price is driven up and down by the players are too gullible.
02/22/2017 09:50 AMPosted by Mogokog
02/14/2017 03:00 PMPosted by Vinø

Nothing is free.....

Time is money friend.

Semantics is fun to argue but...really..money is money and time is time. Saying Time is money is an alternate "fact". If time were in fact money it would be in websters definition. See you make a blanket statement as if it were true, when its not. My game time is fun, not work. Time for me to get lost in another world for a bit. Work is work and I get $$ for it. TO try to make it sound like I am really working when I play my game for fun is intellectually dishonest.

Look at you trying to protest an age-old statement.

Given it's been around since B.C., it's pretty silly you think anyone would take this seriously.

No, time is money. There's more than enough evidence to it.
Ok ya'll are not taking economics into account.
1. the price of the token used to be like 20k gold.
2. Then legion hit. It went to 50k gold BEFORE the announcement you could spend it on hearthstone and other blizzard games.
3. Now token prices spike to 110k
4 Token prices are currently dropping, although they do seem to be slowing as they drop.

What does this suggest?
Token prices will continue dropping til they hit their old value of 50k, because people who play other games just dumped all their gold on tokens, and now the market is just catching up.

Now here is something interesting- CAN YOU BUY WOW TOKENS WITH BNET BALANCE? now you might say, but kupo, why you so dumb bro, blizzzard will just take 25% of the cost. Yes they will. But wait! what if you're like me and have something like 10 wow tokens you bought when they were only 20k?

That means, you can redeem 200k worth of wow tokens for 150 dollars of bnet money. Then, you turn around and buy 7 wow tokens. 7*80=560k. You just doubled your gold. This math works up until price fluctuations of the token are less than 25%. Which is supposed to introduce a real world cost to speculation, otherwise token speculation might be rampant.
02/22/2017 10:14 AMPosted by Murder
You guys that think the token price is driven up and down by the players are too gullible.

In some measure it is. However, Blizzard does control the RATE of increase or decrease. From this latest jump it has been proven by the stats at https://wowtoken.info/ that Blizzard kept the rate on increase/decrease to a maximum of 3% per hour.

If they had let it go, the token prices would have swung faster and gone much higher. They controlled the RATE to keep the prices stable during times like this past one.

Patient people got their gold and their tokens.
If you think about it, 80-90k really isn't considered a lot of gold now, and is easily acquirable through the right professions.
Honestly, the people they have working on this at Activision-Blizzard are very intelligent and are making them a good amount of money. Hope they got a good Christmas bonus last year and get another one this year, because they brought in a nice chunk of dough.
02/12/2017 12:06 PMPosted by Finri
But most raiders pay by tokens

paying by tokens is MORE money for blizzard do you people not realize that?

Smuck 1 pays $20 for a token
smuck 2 buy token with wow gold instead of sub fee

Sub fee is $15
Blizz just netted $5 more then they should have
02/22/2017 12:20 PMPosted by Eldorathi
2. Then legion hit. It went to 50k gold BEFORE the announcement you could spend it on hearthstone and other blizzard games.
4 Token prices are currently dropping, although they do seem to be slowing as they drop.

What does this suggest?
Token prices will continue dropping til they hit their old value of 50k, because people who play other games just dumped all their gold on tokens, and now the market is just catching up.

Now here is something interesting- CAN YOU BUY WOW TOKENS WITH BNET BALANCE? now you might say, but kupo, why you so dumb bro, blizzzard will just take 25% of the cost. Yes they will. But wait! what if you're like me and have something like 10 wow tokens you bought when they were only 20k?

That means, you can redeem 200k worth of wow tokens for 150 dollars of bnet money. Then, you turn around and buy 7 wow tokens. 7*80=560k. You just doubled your gold. This math works up until price fluctuations of the token are less than 25%. Which is supposed to introduce a real world cost to speculation, otherwise token speculation might be rampant.

And how many people bought them when it was only 20k, when there was no mention of them being converted into Bnet money?

Hindsight is 20/20, and estimating what profit you "could" of had if you and invested months ago is worthless.

From reading the forums during the intro of the Wow token, alot of people were bragging how they cashed gold in and were playing Wow for "free" until 2019, so I doubt if many will be having a huge windfall of "free gold".

No ones been bragging about it lately either.
SMH when people don't know what they're talking about.
02/12/2017 12:02 PMPosted by Sinelus
With the day by day raise in WoW token, it seems the token is going to become well over 100k+ in no time, which will outscale the money that can be farmed daily by hardcore herbalists/mining/skinning toons within the month and becoming inaccessible to the players who use it for sub time as it'll be well more then the amount of all months gold they can farm and force them to farm overtime just to keep up. I'm not saying the new system for buying mounts and pets and whatnot is bad, but more to what's the actual future of it if they won't actually sell at some point or maybe only a handful sell every month, making them essentially worthless.

You can farm 100k skinning in 8 hours. Also if the demand drops so will the price, so the amount purchased should stay within some range.
02/22/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Vaylas
You can farm 100k skinning in 8 hours.

If time is money, you'd be making less than $2 an hour at that rate.
02/22/2017 12:20 PMPosted by Eldorathi

What does this suggest?

/slap

You are not suppose to let Bliz Know the loopholes! ;D
anyone who took basic economics (and payed attention) should have already known that.

Regardless you would have had to invest a while back (just like any new stock) to get a decent return out of it. even investing an hour after the announcement would have returned around 25% profit if dumped at the peak.

Further its a higher risk of return now since the market shock is gone. to get another huge spike the token would need to transfer gold into cash via direct deposit to the bank imo.
You can farm 100k skinning in 8 hours. Also if the demand drops so will the price, so the amount purchased should stay within some range.

Are there a lot of people here who really cannot make $15 in real money in less than 8 hours? My time is worth a whole lot more to me than $1.88/hour.
02/22/2017 01:09 PMPosted by Arrogant
You can farm 100k skinning in 8 hours.

If time is money, you'd be making less than $2 an hour at that rate.

True, this is why I pay for my subscription... but for those that don't want to pay it doesn't exactly take a ton of time....
02/22/2017 10:15 AMPosted by Alisiaa
02/22/2017 09:50 AMPosted by Mogokog

Given it's been around since B.C., it's pretty silly you think anyone would take this seriously.

time
/tīm/

noun

1. the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole: "travel through space and time"
2. a point of time as measured in hours and minutes past midnight or noon: "the time is 9:30" synonyms: hour, o'clock

verb

1. plan, schedule, or arrange when (something) should happen or be done: "the first track race is timed for 11:15" synonyms: schedule, set, set up, arrange, organize, ... more
2. measure the time taken by (a process or activity, or a person doing it): "we were timed and given certificates according to our speed" synonyms: measure, clock, record one's time

mon·ey
/ˈmənē/

noun

1. a current medium of exchange in the form of coins and banknotes; coins and banknotes collectively: "I counted the money before putting it in my wallet" synonyms: cash, hard cash, ready money, the means, the wherewithal, funds, capital, finances, (filthy) lucre, coins, change, specie, silver, currency, bills, (bank) notes, dough, bread, bucks, loot, greenbacks, moola, dinero, shekels, mazuma, pelf

Consider yourself educated. You're welcome.
02/23/2017 07:06 AMPosted by Mogokog
02/22/2017 10:15 AMPosted by Alisiaa

time
/tīm/

noun

1. the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole: "travel through space and time"
2. a point of time as measured in hours and minutes past midnight or noon: "the time is 9:30" synonyms: hour, o'clock

verb

1. plan, schedule, or arrange when (something) should happen or be done: "the first track race is timed for 11:15" synonyms: schedule, set, set up, arrange, organize, ... more
2. measure the time taken by (a process or activity, or a person doing it): "we were timed and given certificates according to our speed" synonyms: measure, clock, record one's time

mon·ey
/ˈmənē/

noun

1. a current medium of exchange in the form of coins and banknotes; coins and banknotes collectively: "I counted the money before putting it in my wallet" synonyms: cash, hard cash, ready money, the means, the wherewithal, funds, capital, finances, (filthy) lucre, coins, change, specie, silver, currency, bills, (bank) notes, dough, bread, bucks, loot, greenbacks, moola, dinero, shekels, mazuma, pelf

You are confusing chronological time with economic time and the term 'money' with the literally definition where in this 'saying' money refers to value.

Money (the physical bank note, etc.) has a set value determined by the economical standing of the issuing treasury.

Time when considered a finite resource each of us are alloted to use throughout out life also has a value determined by each person's own valuing of life in general.

Money = Value
Time = Value
Value = Value
Money = Time
Time = Money

Each side of the equation is based upon the 'value' the receiver is assigning.

Or.... I'm totally full of s**t.
02/23/2017 07:27 AMPosted by Ranoric
02/23/2017 07:06 AMPosted by Mogokog

time
/tīm/

noun

verb

mon·ey
/ˈmənē/

noun

You are confusing chronological time with economic time and the term 'money' with the literally definition where in this 'saying' money refers to value.

Money (the physical bank note, etc.) has a set value determined by the economical standing of the issuing treasury.

Time when considered a finite resource each of us are alloted to use throughout out life also has a value determined by each person's own valuing of life in general.

Money = Value
Time = Value
Value = Value
Money = Time
Time = Money

Each side of the equation is based upon the 'value' the receiver is assigning.

Or.... I'm totally full of s**t.

Or your definition is subjective and mine is objective. Being subjective, dont be a trump and think you dropped a fact, when you, in fact, gave an opinion. You gave a "saying", believe me. Sayings are not universally true, believe me. Bushmen have time and no money. They cant equate the 2 things. So, I would suggest that you realize that what you THINK is not necessarily a universal truth. This is how alternative facts are born, believe me.
Eve has been doing plex since 2008 and everquest selling Kronos since 2013. Token systems work fine, and will continue to do so. Gather up all your end of blah blah comments, write them down, put them in an envelope, and promptly shove the envelope up your !@#.
02/12/2017 12:19 PMPosted by Dyra
Amazing how many think playing the game only using tokens is free. It's not. Someone spent $20 to buy that token to sell to someone for gold. The cost is just paid by someone else.

I don't think its free - I just think its free FOR ME, in that its not actual real money coming off my card or my account or out of my pocket.

Yes, someone else is paying for it. Just not me.