G15 chat... bug thing

UI and Macro
It took me this long (sadly) to figure out decent ways to use my very old G15. I just figured out I didn't *have* to have delays in my multi-key macros.

Yeah, I'm kinda slow that way. Anyway...

Using my first key's macro as an example, /cast Dalaran Hearthstone, I'm having an issue with its interaction with the chat input field. After I hit the key, the command goes through and works. The chat input field appears inactive (ie, not actively being typed in). However, it also displays a leftover / symbol, and the macro won't work any more. I have to manually open and clear the chat input field. I've tried adding the keystrokes to do that, to no avail. Any tips?
02/24/2017 12:27 AMPosted by Solithä
It took me this long (sadly) to figure out decent ways to use my very old G15. I just figured out I didn't *have* to have delays in my multi-key macros.

Yeah, I'm kinda slow that way. Anyway...

Using my first key's macro as an example, /cast Dalaran Hearthstone, I'm having an issue with its interaction with the chat input field. After I hit the key, the command goes through and works. The chat input field appears inactive (ie, not actively being typed in). However, it also displays a leftover / symbol, and the macro won't work any more. I have to manually open and clear the chat input field. I've tried adding the keystrokes to do that, to no avail. Any tips?
Wouldn't recommend using G15 macros in this manner.

I would suggest you make these macros within the default macro interface, use an add-on to keybind the macro to something ridiculous you would never use, like Ctrl+shift+alt+numpad+, and bind that ridiculous key combination to your G key. Repeat for the other dozen G keys or how ever many there are.
Wouldn't recommend, why?
02/24/2017 06:15 PMPosted by Solithä
Wouldn't recommend, why?
Blizzard has always declared the use of firmware keyboard macros to be a violation of policy and potentially grounds for banning the account holder. Blizzard declares it a form of botting. The availability of scripted delays in them indeed opens the door to minor botting. Dirty Harry says, "Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?"
I'm aware of the rules involving automation and have no plans to risk throwing away my account just to make a macro. The macros I'm asking for help with are not automation, and are equally performed via the in-game macro interface; thus, they're allowed under the rules.

So... anyone have advice about the chat input field bug?
02/25/2017 08:32 PMPosted by Solithä
I'm aware of the rules involving automation and have no plans to risk throwing away my account just to make a macro. The macros I'm asking for help with are not automation, and are equally performed via the in-game macro interface; thus, they're allowed under the rules.

So... anyone have advice about the chat input field bug?
It isn't a bug, per se.

You are using hardware automation to simulate multiple additional keypresses into the chat interface. While you don't consider this automation (and in a gameplay sense it isn't), Warden (Blizzard's cheat detection software) might, and it doesn't care about your reasoning.

You will not find support here for this "bug" as it isn't a bug in Blizzard's code, it is an abnormality either introduced or exposed by your hardware macro that does not exist under normal conditions.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20753575224?page=1#post-3

I wasn't necessarily looking for support for a "bug in Blizzard's code", or I would have posted in the Bug forums. I hoped I could find help here regarding a fault between the interaction of the keyboard with the UI.

Perhaps I should go with Technical Support. But please don't tell people they're doing something against the rules when they're not.
For what it's worth, I just made this macro as a text block in LGS for my g810./use Dalaran Hearthstone
It works exactly as desired, and does not leave a / behind. (please note the code block above initially removed the carriage return at the end; the proper sequence of keypresses in the text block is ... s t o n e enter)

If I remove the carriage return after Hearthstone, it sends a / to the ChatFrameEditBox, and does nothing.

I then made the same macro again as a multi key, where it records each keypress in sequence. It also works as desired, with no / left behind. Again, the key is having the ENTER key pressed at the end of the text block/sequence.

I would suggest updating your LGS and your G15 firmware if you haven't already; assuming you created the macro correctly, this is likely related to your keyboard, not WoW.