Should another class get summon portal?

General Discussion
wouldn't be to much of a shocker if they did give another class the ability. They did technically throw followers in WoD. Since my pally could drop a summoning stone after I got her rep maxed. Wouldn't be surprised if that got some players thinking about it. Since when it came to Kaz or even the other world bosses in WoD if you couldn't get a lock, they made do with a follower that could summon.
This is precisely the reason why this game is dying.

I NEVER want ID traits to go to other classes. It ruins the game, takes away immersion, repeals identity.

Only shamans should be able to buff/totem use.

Only a priest should be able to rez. And NO other class should EVER out heal a priest.

Only a warrior should be able to withstand the punishing damage doled out by a raid boss.

Only a mage should be able to poly-morph.

Etc Etc Etc.

The point is, whether people realize it or not, Blizz is doing just this, taking away traits/specializations/spells/abilities, and doling them out to other classes. This is so wrong and detrimental to the game as a whole.

We NEED individual class skills in the game. It MAKES people interact. "We can't do SoAndSo boss without a priest. Oh, we'll need CC to counter the adds at the end." Things like this. It actually balances out the class numbers better. (Not perfect, but better.)

I am a warlock. As you all know,I have been beaten and raked over the nerfing coals for years at diff times. I am and always have been Demo. I am/was the sole summoner at raids/parties. At least if nothing else, I could bring something to the party/raid that no one else had. I liked it when other classes brought something to the show that only their class individually had.

I played EQ since it started, almost 20 years ago. Do you know how many friends I met out of necessity? We one time had to be able to get by this area that spawned like 130 adds. That meant we needed something to mez the MoBs. That meant a chanter only. 2 of the greatest players I ever knew in the game were , yup, you guessed it, people we had to invite to the group because they, and only they, could do the job.

I say actually PULL back on the abilities of the classes. Return them to a highly specialized role.

You need high healing? Only a cleric will do. Need someone to take an extraordinary amount of damage? Whelp, that's up to the warriors. Crowd control needed on this encounter? Better call an Enchanter. Need the top spell damage done in the shortest amount of time? Well, no one Nukes better than a wizard. Gonna need corpse summons to get your corpse back? Gotta have a necro. (Of course these are EQ classes, but the ideas transfer.)

It MADE you go out and actively seek out people you otherwise would never have a reason to contact. And you know what the most common side effect was?

You made new friends.

IMHO, Blizz is slowly working their way to homogenize the classes, and make a generic class, singular. Everyone does some tanking with weapons, everyone has some spell abilities, everyone can port, everyone has a heal ability, everyone can blah blah blah. Now that idea is needed, even required for a solo game, but will destroy a MMO. (As does CRZ because it neuters personal interaction, but you can read the 1000's of posts about that elsewhere.)

I, as a warlock, want SOMETHING needed that I can do, that NO ONE else can.
I want other classes to be able to do things I CANNOT. I wanna go back to the days where others need me, and I needed others. Lack of personal interaction in the community is this game's biggest danger. You can blame it on a host of other things, but the death of any MMO is not the grind, or lack of, not the content, or lack of, not the end game, or the lack of. It is when the "MM" in MMO declines. THAT is when the end is near.

So please, I'm asking as a pathetic shell of what used to be a great class.

Don't take a unique ability like summoning away from my class.

Even Undead Warlocks have the need to be needed.
03/02/2017 03:25 PMPosted by Cdarly
why take away the main reason we seem to get groups.
its bad enough warlocks stink as DPS now you want a reason for us to never be invited.

Warlocks are doing reasonably well DPS wise, not great. The only exception of course are destruction, which...yea not looking to hot right now.

Again though, it's not about dps balance.
No, otherwise no one would invite warlocks. Not trying to offend anyone, but mages and shadow priests can do pretty everything a warlock can do but better.
Give Warriors a summon. But instead of a summon, make it a demand, and to make it more thematic it should be cast by warriors just yelling and punching things wildly until you just appear.
03/02/2017 04:23 PMPosted by Snooptrogg
Give Warriors a summon. But instead of a summon, make it a demand, and to make it more thematic it should be cast by warriors just yelling and punching things wildly until you just appear.

So...a Tantrum?
I think they should, only because most other utilities have been given away to other classes already, so they may as well for consistency.

Bloodlust was once Shaman only, now Mages Hunters and anyone with Drums have it.

Water walking was Priest/Shaman only, now anyone can with a potion or mount or whatever item.

Portals were once Mage only, now anyone can with various items, like Jaina's Locket, dalaran hearthstone, etc.
I was just thinking yesterday it would be funny if shamans could punch the ground and have a summoning stone (like the ones outside of dungeons and raids) pop out of the ground.
If we're talking about raids... are people unaware of the Meeting Stone's existence?

03/02/2017 04:26 PMPosted by Teelo
Portals were once Mage only, now anyone can with various items, like Jaina's Locket, dalaran hearthstone, etc.

Those things have a cooldown on them that prevent them from being as convenient as Mage portals. Not to mention you have a wide variety of places to choose from. If you want Warlock Summoning Stones to go to another class then Warlocks should be able to have Mage teleport and portals as well since it's practically the same thing. Right? Right?
03/02/2017 04:36 PMPosted by Shado
If you want Warlock Summoning Stones to go to another class then Warlocks should be able to have Mage teleport and portals as well since it's practically the same thing. Right? Right?
Well we did have Mass Summon once, and when they took it away the forums were flooded in a river of years.

Perhaps we could get a summon stone item with an hour cooldown?
our alt run is super laid back.. people come/go frequently over the course of the evening... it's pretty obnoxious when there's no warlock in the group, having to go out and summon people, or wait for them to hoof it (even worse if they haven't unlocked the portal on that alt).
If we were to lose our summon as well, whenever a Demon Hunter would ask me what I have given I would just break down in tears.
Yeah..no.

Stop homogenizing things....I would rather be a health stone summoning machine than share things across classes AT ALL.

Dumb the game down...yeah...keep doing that...keep killing anything unique.

Idiots.
I think Blizzard should give city portals to warlocks and summoning portals to mages. Both classes are users of the arcane after all. Don't tell me you don't remember all those NPC mages summoning people in from Stomwind City and Orgrimmar...
03/02/2017 04:40 PMPosted by Teelo
If you want Warlock Summoning Stones to go to another class then Warlocks should be able to have Mage teleport and portals as well since it's practically the same thing. Right? Right?
Well we did have Mass Summon once, and when they took it away the forums were flooded in a river of years.

Perhaps we could get a summon stone item with an hour cooldown?

People abused it for world PVP. If it was in an instance only, it might have worked out better.
03/02/2017 09:24 AMPosted by Renlorne
Every raid people are hurting for a warlock- Not because of their amazing dps, but because they can summon and no one else can (talking about right in the middle of a raid, not necessarily at the start where you can just walk out to summoning stone).

If another class should get this utility, who should it be? I think shaman should be a prime candidate- Thematically they have portal abilities and having 2 classes with summoning portals would make things much easier.

Yes the hunter.. a large animal drags the summoned player in and drops them at the hunters feet.
03/02/2017 03:32 PMPosted by Shantay
You should be buffed so you're invited for your dps, not for you ability to summon someone else. Otherwise you're going to start to sound like mages (we're just vending machines), and no-one wants that.

Anyway, no-one loves soulstones any more?

Unlike other combat resurrections ours has a 2+ second cast time so in combat it's basically the worst option because as a dps you have to lose 2-4 seconds of dps, and hope like hell that nothing aoe/damage wise makes you have to move before you finish casting it.

It needs to be instant to be honest.
Those things have a cooldown on them that prevent them from being as convenient as Mage portals. Not to mention you have a wide variety of places to choose from.

Not that I think mages should be able to summon on top of making portals, but the only real options a mage can teleport to that others can't are Warspear, Tol Barad and their class hall. And Warspear can be solved by just using your old garrion hearthstone and using the level 3 garrison shortcut. We're not really much more varied than any other class's options.

And the 15 minute cooldown on hearthstones feels short enough that my alts never really felt constricted when traveling. Honestly I kinda miss when people would ask me for portals, but nobody seems to care about them anymore. :(
The obvious answer is monk of course should be the class to get a new portal utility.
Nah it's totally consistent that they gave bloodlust to mages but keep portals exclusive to warlocks. Totally consistent.