Why Do People Hate Thrall?

General Discussion
http://childrenofwrath.blogspot.com/2011/12/problem-with-thrall.html

^ This is a decently long read, but it explains it very well.
We need more thrall!!! i personally love the guy, hate khadgar so much. Really liked garrosh to, sad to see him disappear to.
thrall is an Orc that tries to look good? Thats crazy - thralls crazy pretty sure hes a dreadlord. Funny how he has everyone fooled; even some in the Alliance.
03/15/2017 09:35 PMPosted by Kiwiani
Stole the Garrosh kill. For that alone he can go (censored).

Twice. If not for Thrall wanting him to stand trial, WoD never would have happened.
Because Blizz took everything about him that we loved from Warcraft 3 - Wrath and threw it all away.

Then replaced Thrall with this dork in a dress.
In addition to the mary sue thing, his injection into things (other people in the thread have called it "kill stealing" which is apt) flies in the face of the ethos of WoW, as stated at the end of WC3.

WC3 foreshadowed WoW by the fact there was no Guardian of Tirisfall, no more grand overpowering force, just 'ordinary' heroes fighting against incredible odds.

And it was that way through Vanilla.

But then they decided, starting with Black Temple, that we didn't get to be the heroes winning the day anymore. An NPC would deliver the killing blow in the expansion-ending raids. In BT, in ICC, in Dragon Soul, etc
don't hate Thrall, but I hate what Blizzard did to him as a character
Thrall is like Milli Vanilli.
I don't like people with double L in their names.
Everyone likes Thrall. Not everyone likes Green Jesus.
You know, Mary Sue and all...
he stole my arena achievements that I never had
Like others have said, he went from cool dude to green Jesus

He doesn't even look like an orc anymore

also, the dragon soul ending ruined every character in that cutscene because of how god awful and cringe it was
#ThrallDidNothingWrong
Dragon Soul lasted for a really long time and people preoccupied themselves with Green Jesus memes.

Thrall was well-liked before that patch. He was barely in Cata up until then.
Another note: "lok tar friend, what is it you wish?" Gets old really fast. Why does he only have 1 voiceline?

03/15/2017 10:52 PMPosted by Hushpaw
Compare Thrall to Wrynn, who was human, had massive flaws, and sacrificed himself to save the Alliance. I felt completely different about Wrynn after broken shore. I absolutely adore Wrynn and felt real emotion when he perished.

I agree with this. Even as someone who only plays Horde, seeing Varian, who has never been a goodboy king and always has flaws, die in such a heroic and brutal way made me really appreciate his character and the Alliance.
Because he abandoned the Horde he made so he could upstage a bunch of dragon demigods.

And he still isn't back even though his job's been done for 3 expansions and the horde is coming apart at the seams.
03/15/2017 05:28 PMPosted by Waraila
There were a few places where Thrall's insertion or portrayal in the game was pretty forced.

This, especially after Cataclysm came along. I liked him before I did the "I have a greater duty to Azeroth now" thing. Warchief Thrall was cool. "Savior of Azeroth" Thrall, not so much. I mean....I wouldn't say I hate him, but I certainly don't like him anywhere near as much as I liked pre-Cataclysm Thrall.

Also he's a kill stealer.
Thrall's problem started in Wrath of the Lich King when he started grooming Garrosh, his complete opposite in every facet of personality and ideology, for Warchief. I remember saying, "why would Thrall do that? It doesn't make sense." In almost all dramatic writing, thats the one thing that will turn a read/viewer off faster than a power button.

Motivations need to be clearly understood and his weren't and still aren't really. When Garrosh was finally brought to heel, Thrall was again offered the title of Warchief and instead gave it to Vol'jin... Why not give it to Vol'jin in WoTLK?!

It's just shoddy plotting.
03/16/2017 07:22 AMPosted by Dîomedes
Thrall's problem started in Wrath of the Lich King when he started grooming Garrosh, his complete opposite in every facet of personality and ideology, for Warchief. I remember saying, "why would Thrall do that? It doesn't make sense." In almost all dramatic writing, thats the one thing that will turn a read/viewer off faster than a power button.

Motivations need to be clearly understood and his weren't and still aren't really. When Garrosh was finally brought to heel, Thrall was again offered the title of Warchief and instead gave it to Vol'jin... Why not give it to Vol'jin in WoTLK?!

It's just shoddy plotting.

Some of the problems are:
-Games don't do plot well in general. That's fine. Cata had a paritucualrly bad and bland plot though.
-Blizzard simply hasn't found someone to play orcs after Metzen retired from blizzard. Hando the Pirate might be able to do that. SnakePliskin could possibly but his voice isn't deep enough. They person that did garrosh (who amusingly wasn't metzen a few times) or Maylgos could probably do a respectable thrall. His voice is pretty recognizable though.

-Plot is pretty Pulpy wich again is fine and if you go with it just fun (or can be): Harrison Jones, and much of MOP (for example).
Thralls plot just seemed to get progressively more...because and just awkward. That's mostly a metzen problem.
He's boring tbh. He seemed to show up everywhere when there are way more interesting characters who I'd like to see get more screen time.
03/16/2017 07:41 AMPosted by Cedartusk
-Games don't do plot well in general. That's fine. Cata had a paritucualrly bad and bland plot though.

I dont really agree with this. Maybe stories dont come across well in MMORPGS, but games like Warcraft 3 told a story in such a way that has us still playing today. Witcher, Elder Scrolls, there are plenty of titles that have engaging stories.