Recent Action Against Real-Money Raid Clears

General Discussion
1 2 3 18 Next
We’ve recently taken action against a number of accounts that were actively participating in and/or advertising the sale of in-game raid or dungeon clears in exchange for real-world currency. Such behavior is a clear violation of the World of Warcraft Terms of Use.

Of the players affected, many were members of top raiding guilds. We want to be clear that everyone we’ve taken action against had illustrated full knowledge and intent to violate the Terms of Use. Going forward, in order to ensure fair play and competitive integrity, we’ll be monitoring these activities much more closely in order to make sure that the rules are being followed. This includes selling services for real money, account-sharing, and other violations.

Note that while selling assistance with obtaining items, achievements, PvP rating, or other in-game benefits for real-world currency is against the Terms of Use, selling those things in exchange for in-game gold is perfectly legitimate. Players should not feel as though participating in a “gold run” is going to result in negative action taken against their account.

If you see people advertising these services, please help us keep the game clean by reporting them. If you’re unsure, here are some common warning signs:

• A “broker” is offering to match buyers with service-providers. Commonly, a broker will collect real-world currency from a buyer while offering gold to a guild or group that will actually provide the service.
  • Someone offering a service is unwilling to discuss terms of payment via in-game tells, and insists on using a non-Blizzard application to communicate.

Also note that Patch 7.2 includes some improvements to our reporting features to add clearer categories for reporting listings in the Premade Group Finder. We’re disappointed to see members of the raiding community participating in behaviors that clearly violate the Terms of Use, and want to be clear that such activities will not be tolerated.
Thanks, now do the same thing with bots!
03/07/2017 10:50 AMPosted by Ornyx
We’ve recently taken action against a number of accounts that were actively participating in and/or advertising the sale of in-game raid or dungeon clears in exchange for real-world currency. Such behavior is a clear violation of the World of Warcraft Terms of Use.

Of the players affected, many were members of top raiding guilds. We want to be clear that everyone we’ve taken action against had illustrated full knowledge and intent to violate the Terms of Use. Going forward, in order to ensure fair play and competitive integrity, we’ll be monitoring these activities much more closely in order to make sure that the rules are being followed. This includes selling services for real money, account-sharing, and other violations.

Note that while selling assistance with obtaining items, achievements, PvP rating, or other in-game benefits for real-world currency is against the Terms of Use, selling those things in exchange for in-game gold is perfectly legitimate. Players should not feel as though participating in a “gold run” is going to result in negative action taken against their account.

If you see people advertising these services, please help us keep the game clean by reporting them. If you’re unsure, here are some common warning signs:

• A “broker” is offering to match buyers with service-providers. Commonly, a broker will collect real-world currency from a buyer while offering gold to a guild or group that will actually provide the service.
  • Someone offering a service is unwilling to discuss terms of payment via in-game tells, and insists on using a non-Blizzard application to communicate.

Also note that Patch 7.2 includes some improvements to our reporting features to add clearer categories for reporting listings in the Premade Group Finder. We’re disappointed to see members of the raiding community participating in behaviors that clearly violate the Terms of Use, and want to be clear that such activities will not be tolerated.
yay!!!
I was wondering when something like this was going to be done. Good job.
Kill it with fire.
/2 (Selling) Heroic Guldan. Group made of Top players. Most are past Archimonde carry grp. Fast. Easy. pst for more info.
WTS: Heroic Gul'dan. Gold or Discord.. nothing fishy going on here...
What about the people that only did gold sales but still got banned?
Only did "gold" sales. Lol. Okay buddy, get out with playing the victim.
I guess Blizzard did say they wanted to take more interest in high end PVE.
I mean I didn't get banned but there are some who did.
Thanks blizzard I'm getting evicted from my apartment now
Awesome news. Go get 'em.
But at the end of the day, what is the difference between selling runs for gold and runs for real money?

With the introduction of the WoW token, these currencies are interchangeable and are one in the same for the purposes of WoW. I cannot see the difference between someone charging $100 vs someone charging 500k gold which the buyer obtained by buying 5 WoW tokens for $100.

I think it's silly that one is against the ToS while the other doesn't. This decision seems to be in the interest of Blizzard, not anyone else.
03/07/2017 08:38 PMPosted by Ikhj
This decision seems to be in the interest of Blizzard, not anyone else.

Of course it is? The game exists to make money for the company that made it, not to create niches for other businesses to fill the gap. Have you read the Terms of Use?
But at the end of the day, what is the difference between selling runs for gold and runs for real money?

With the introduction of the WoW token, these currencies are interchangeable and are one in the same for the purposes of WoW. I cannot see the difference between someone charging $100 vs someone charging 500k gold which the buyer obtained by buying 5 WoW tokens for $100.

I think it's silly that one is against the ToS while the other doesn't. This decision seems to be in the interest of Blizzard, not anyone else.

I agree it does seem fairly arbitrary, but that being said Blizzard is the one that sets the ToU... so if they want to funnel you to buying tokens and then paying for carries in gold... well Blizz gets a cut of that directly and it makes the stockholders happy so it's all good. Integrity of the game .... rofl, yea right.
03/07/2017 08:43 PMPosted by Regg
This decision seems to be in the interest of Blizzard, not anyone else.

Of course it is? The game exists to make money for the company that made it, not to create niches for other businesses to fill the gap. Have you read the Terms of Use?
At least they can be honest and upfront about it rather than telling us that they are doing it to maintain "fair play" and "integrity" for us.

It literally says in their post that it's fine with gold. It's nothing about fair play and integrity.
03/07/2017 08:49 PMPosted by Ikhj
At least they can be honest and upfront about it rather than telling us that they are doing it to maintain "fair play" and "integrity" for us.

I would honestly doubt that they want people selling carries for gold, either -- which is why if someone scams you for a carry, they get punished and you don't get your gold back.

It's unsupported because they don't really want people doing it.
03/07/2017 08:49 PMPosted by Ikhj
It literally says in their post that it's fine with gold. It's nothing about fair play and integrity.

The exact word choice was 'legitimate'.

Pretty sure the intent there is not to endorse carries for gold so much as it is to specify that selling carries sold for gold won't get you banned (unless you're scamming people).